Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some advice if possible please....?

Some advice if possible please....?

Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

loaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice if possible please....?

Hello all,

I understand from what I've read on the net on various 'official' sites that a skilled migration visa application is currently taking around 12 months to process, can anyone confirm this at all? Also I currently have a career in IP, got the CCNA Cisco qualification. I've checked down the list of 'in demand occupations', and while there's nothing specific to this, there are categories that in THEORY this would fit into....has anyone on the board applied for a similar visa with similar qualifications? If so which category did you use? Any comments / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice if possible please....?

Originally Posted by loaf
Hello all,

I understand from what I've read on the net on various 'official' sites that a skilled migration visa application is currently taking around 12 months to process, can anyone confirm this at all? Also I currently have a career in IP, got the CCNA Cisco qualification. I've checked down the list of 'in demand occupations', and while there's nothing specific to this, there are categories that in THEORY this would fit into....has anyone on the board applied for a similar visa with similar qualifications? If so which category did you use? Any comments / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Loaf

I noticed you have only made 3 posts so presume you are new to the forum, would just like to say 'welcome'

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I'm sure one of the other posters will give you some advice soon!

From memory of other posts on here, I think you are about right about 12 months.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

loaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the welcome BIX.
Been thinking about emigrating for a lot of years now, read a lot of stories from people who have done it, spoken to many people and can't really justify putting off the big move any longer. I NEED to apply soon before I go mad.

I've read some posts further down where people have mentioned that it feels like 'going home' having previously holidayed in Australia, or feels like 'I was born in the wrong country'. Amazing how so many people think that no-one else will understand how they feel about wanting to get to Aus. It seems that everyone on this forum has thought the same thing.
Great to read the advice and tales from others on the forum
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:27 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hia mate.

Ive seen people on this board with CCNA go via ACS - Australian Computer Society to get the essential skills points - you'd get an IT skill for sure, and they're 60 points.

If youve got a degree even better. But if you go to www.immi.gov.au you'll start to see what you're looking at.

You can go for Skilled Independent - 120 points, which means anywhere in Aus is yours.. or you can get sponsored by a territory if you cant make 120points or you can get a job offer etc there are many many ways.

Currently people are getting visa's as quickly as 3 weeks! but that's super human. If youv'e got good medicals, no problems with police, a degree, are under 30 , got some work experience you should get a visa within 6mo or less judging by peoples current experiences. Up until July it was taking a long time but post-july it seems ot have sped up a lot.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:15 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Some advice if possible please....?

Originally Posted by spalen
Hia mate.

Ive seen people on this board with CCNA go via ACS - Australian Computer Society to get the essential skills points - you'd get an IT skill for sure, and they're 60 points.

If youve got a degree even better. But if you go to www.immi.gov.au you'll start to see what you're looking at.

You can go for Skilled Independent - 120 points, which means anywhere in Aus is yours.. or you can get sponsored by a territory if you cant make 120points or you can get a job offer etc there are many many ways.

Currently people are getting visa's as quickly as 3 weeks! but that's super human. If youv'e got good medicals, no problems with police, a degree, are under 30 , got some work experience you should get a visa within 6mo or less judging by peoples current experiences. Up until July it was taking a long time but post-july it seems ot have sped up a lot.
sped up a lot!! i beg to differ!!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:39 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
sped up a lot!! i beg to differ!!
sorry - should've qualified that a bit better.. It appears that people who lodge their applications AFTER July 1st are doing better and getting faster responses than those who applied BEFORE July 1st. ;-)