British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Solicitor to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/solicitor-sydney-280146/)

Mr Pants Jan 26th 2005 2:51 pm

Solicitor to Sydney

We have finally decided to take the plunge and emigrate to Sydney. I am a solicitor and would wish to practice in Sydney once I have taken the conversion course. Although it is unclear to me it looks as if I have to take the course and obviously pass before I can apply for PR as I won't pass the skills test otherwise. Is this correct and if there are any solicitors out there who have done it, how was it? Thanks

Nicstids Jan 26th 2005 7:11 pm

Re: Solicitor to Sydney

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
We have finally decided to take the plunge and emigrate to Sydney. I am a solicitor and would wish to practice in Sydney once I have taken the conversion course. Although it is unclear to me it looks as if I have to take the course and obviously pass before I can apply for PR as I won't pass the skills test otherwise. Is this correct and if there are any solicitors out there who have done it, how was it? Thanks

Hi

I too am a solicitor for my sins! If you search against my name you'll see that I've posted various things about re-qualifying in Aus although I must admit I haven't looked at NSW as we don't think we want to settle there. I think JAJ has previously said that Skilled migration and being a solicitor don't mix! It is very hard to get a Skilled visa as a solicitor and we have actually applied based on my husband's skills. Atticus is another poster who's a solicitor and I know that she too has got the visa based on her hubby's skills. Is there any possibility you could get the visa based on your other half's skills?

Nicola

Atticus Jan 26th 2005 7:14 pm

Your best bet is to get in touch with the skills assessing authority relevant to your job - cant remember off the top of my head but if you do a search on the dimia website should have a list of professions/trades and you just follow the links - in addition it might be worth your while to get in touch with the NSW law society - they have a website with links detailing what is required to convert once your in Aus.

Sorry cant be of much more help as I havent had to do this - hubby's a hairdresser so got in that way!!

all the best

Mr Pants Jan 27th 2005 7:43 am

Thanks

Am looking at all the sites recommended and am in email "correspondence" with the various Law socs.

As the lawyerswill appreciate I'm not entirely sure I really want to continue as a solicitor anyway! would my skills and qualifications be sufficient via Vetasses?

My partner, despite 15 years experience as a medical insurance underwriter, senior stuff, team supervision etc only has A level quals and this doesn't appear to count for much?

Any ideas, comments, advice gratefully welcome.

Thanks

Nicstids Jan 27th 2005 7:52 am

Thanks

Am looking at all the sites recommended and am in email "correspondence" with the various Law socs.

As the lawyerswill appreciate I'm not entirely sure I really want to continue as a solicitor anyway! would my skills and qualifications be sufficient via Vetasses?

My partner, despite 15 years experience as a medical insurance underwriter, senior stuff, team supervision etc only has A level quals and this doesn't appear to count for much?

Any ideas, comments, advice gratefully welcome.

Thanks

Unforunately, unless you have an Aussie relative to sponsor you, I thnk that you are going to struggle getting in with an assessment from Vetassess as they assess 50 point occupations. I would imagine that you will find it difficult to accumulate 120 points for an Independent skilled visa with only a 50 point occupation. You may be able to go the SIR route though as this only requires 110 points. Have you had a go at working out your possible points?

Mr Pants Jan 27th 2005 9:31 am

Hi

Haven't considered the SIR route. Had really wanted to be or very near to Sydney.

I have 130 points, I believe without the investment extra points.

But I really don't want to go through the aggro of requalifying for something I am unlikey to follow through with once there!

Nicstids Jan 27th 2005 9:40 am

Hi

Haven't considered the SIR route. Had really wanted to be or very near to Sydney.

I have 130 points, I believe without the investment extra points.

But I really don't want to go through the aggro of requalifying for something I am unlikey to follow through with once there!

I completely sympathise! I see going to Aus as a way of getting out of law and doing something completely different. What, I don't know!! :)

Mr Pants Jan 27th 2005 12:26 pm

Hi Nicstids

Agree entirely, if you find what you want to do let me know.

Good luck

JAJ Jan 27th 2005 10:37 pm

Thanks

A UK law degree is ok for an assessment in any 50 point occupation from Vetassess. Of course, 50 points often isn't enough.

Even if 50 is enough - there is a special rule called Regulation 2.27B which says that if all of your education and work experience is in a regulated profession then DIMIA can insist you get assessed as a lawyer and refuse your application otherwise.

This affects a range of occupations, including lawyers, teachers and nurses.

It does not affect engineers, accountants, IT practitioners and senior managers, many of whom use Vetassess to avoid the stricter processes of their occupational assessing authorities. If they can get to the pass mark with 50 points, or don't need points (eg designated area sponsored or spouse skills).

Emigration as a lawyer is hard. Unless you get somewhere easily in correspondence with one of the law societies you may need to look for an Australian firm that's keen to hire an English solicitor and work from there.

In terms of the law societies, Queensland and South Australia have been reported to be more flexible than some others, but things are always changing - especially as there are new supposedly uniform rules for foreign trained lawyers coming in.

Jeremy