Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solicitor/debt collector help pls in UK

Solicitor/debt collector help pls in UK

Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitor/debt collector help pls in UK

another option is small claims court- not sure what the limit is but I think it costs less than 100 quid to lodge a claim and I *believe* the claim has to be sub 10k.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the police could track her down if you hand over her name and bank details??
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by harrip
I've used these guys in the past - http://www.onlinerecoveries.com

Chasing debt is difficult and if you can keep the personalities out of it, it leads to a less stressful life.

Good luck.
Hi thanks for this reply, i wrote to them and have just received a response that they don't represent individuals only business claims. So have struck out there. Anyone know a solicitor in the UK
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stuie83
Surely the police could track her down if you hand over her name and bank details??
I dont think they would be interested. its a civil matter.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
another option is small claims court- not sure what the limit is but I think it costs less than 100 quid to lodge a claim and I *believe* the claim has to be sub 10k.
Hadnt thought of this but again dont i need her address? as she is an aussie on a work visa in the uk im not sure i can trace her....any ideas.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There are dozens of websites offering access to white pages, electoral rolls, etc, to trace people in the UK, such as:
http://www.tracingpeopleuk.co.uk/ or http://www.192.com/. You might be able to get her details for a very small amount of money, or even for free.

As her parents have had IVOs issued against you in Australia, if you contact the daughter directly, just wondering if there is a risk that you would get into trouble from the UK side as well.

Good luck, it's a terrible situation for you to sort out.
Hi i am going to look at this, not sure how i will go though as she is an aus citizen working in the uk on a work visa.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
Checked it out and limit is ukpds 5000 not 10,000 unfortunately
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Would love to get the police involved but I dont know her address, otherwise my brother may have already been there. To obtain her address a solicitor or debt collector can request it. Thats my dilemmna. I have advised her parents that I will prosecute if necessary as it is fraud and the bank have written to her advising her of this, however as its our money and not theirs they are not so keen to assist.
Just read this. The police only need her name and her bank account details to be able to track her down as someone else said. They have the power to ask the bank for the address. Make sure you print out and keep a copy of that email for future use. I got a bit confused and thought your friend was still in UK but its her daughter who has spent the money.

Good luck and keep this updated.

Jo

Last edited by joho; Dec 4th 2010 at 8:43 pm. Reason: whoops
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joho
Just read this. The police only need her name and her bank account details to be able to track her down as someone else said. They have the power to ask the bank for the address. Make sure you print out and keep a copy of that email for future use. I got a bit confused and thought your friend was still in UK but its her daughter who has spent the money.

Good luck and keep this updated.

Jo
Hi Jo
How do i go about this? Do I ring the police in UK direct? Any UK police officers able to answer this to check this out? this would be a great help. Am about to engage solicitors this end, but wanting to reduce our costs where possible by providing them with all the necessary details.
Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hi Jo
How do i go about this? Do I ring the police in UK direct? Any UK police officers able to answer this to check this out? this would be a great help. Am about to engage solicitors this end, but wanting to reduce our costs where possible by providing them with all the necessary details.
Thanks
I would have thought you need a solicitor the other end. All the solicitor this end is going to do is charge you for giving all the information you give them to a solicitor the other end.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:26 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP has pointed out, this MAY be a civil debt. It might be a fraud. Whichever, you need to understand that if the police decide that this is a criminal matter, then if you lay the complaint, they will prosecute, if they detect the matter.

What they won't do is issue a threat of prosecution or the option to cough up. I know that this was done years ago and everyone thought it was a good idea. That is, until someone realised that this actually amounts to blackmail and perhaps it was best that police officers didn't run around committing that offence.

As an ex-copper, I think this actually amounts to a simple theft.

The long established definition of theft under the Theft Act 1968 is: A person is guilty of theft if he/she dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

Yes, you can try calling UK police direct. Or, pop into your local nick and see of they can pass the complaint for you via the Australia desk at NCIS. (I kid you not) NCIS is in London.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

ab735 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Irene,

I don't have much advice to offer sorry but if she has emailed you in the past you could get lucky and find the school at which she works by tracing the IP address of the computer she emailed you from.

Tracing her via her IP address is perfectly legal and many websites will do it for free (try as an example http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ , just pop the IP into top left hand corner and press go). I just tried with my IP and it correctly told me that the organisation that the IP is registered to is the university at which I work, and currently at.

This of course will only work if she has emailed you from a school computer, but if you manage to send a solicitors letter to her at her place of work I image the situation will begin to feel a lot more real. If she used a home PC the best you could do is trace the town/city from which she emailed you; but knowing her full name and city could put you into a situation were a little detective work on Google could track her to her school.

Could be a dead end but if I were in your situation it would be the first thing I would try.

Good luck

ab
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:55 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ab735
Hi Irene,

I don't have much advice to offer sorry but if she has emailed you in the past you could get lucky and find the school at which she works by tracing the IP address of the computer she emailed you from.

Tracing her via her IP address is perfectly legal and many websites will do it for free (try as an example http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ , just pop the IP into top left hand corner and press go). I just tried with my IP and it correctly told me that the organisation that the IP is registered to is the university at which I work, and currently at.

This of course will only work if she has emailed you from a school computer, but if you manage to send a solicitors letter to her at her place of work I image the situation will begin to feel a lot more real. If she used a home PC the best you could do is trace the town/city from which she emailed you; but knowing her full name and city could put you into a situation were a little detective work on Google could track her to her school.

Could be a dead end but if I were in your situation it would be the first thing I would try.

Good luck

ab
Just a quick welcome to B.E. ab..I see that you have found your way around. Thanks for two useful posts. Any problems with B.E. don't hesitate to PM me. The PM service will be available to you after 3 posts.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:56 pm
221b Baker Street

To Irene: If the advice from ab helps you, you would then know which police force to contact. Just a thought.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ab735
Hi Irene,

Good luck

ab
Hi Everyone thanks very much for all your responses a quick update for you went to court re ivos and i had hoped that she wouldn't be there so it would be thrown out but she was so it had to go ahead. We had a drama initially as we was not offered legal aid as one of the legal aid reps refused to provide counsel due to conflict of interest. As she had arrived earlier than us she got the other free legal aid counsel. As you can imagine we were very distressed as we had no idea what we were in for having never even been to court before.
she was very smug and was smirking the whole time i felt really sick and extremely anxious. to make matters worse I saw a couple of pcs whom i interact with through my course of work when they bring in Section10's to ED. I felt pretty bad and very upset. I went to the desk several times asking why we had been refused counsel and in the end requested the phone nbr for the organisation to discover why. In the end we discovered there was a conflict of interest because she has been represented before. We didn't understand why they had not then chosen to represent her again and leave free the other legal aid. Also as this was a totally separate case why wasn't we entitled to a legal representative? She agreed and looked into it and then arranged for us to have counsel. It didn't really help but at least i felt more prepared. We agreed to abide by the ivo eg stay away from her if she would provide her daughters details so we could proceed with a civil case. She refused so we decided to contest as the content of the ivo is ridiculous.
We are going to a solicitor tomorrow that some of the police officers i liase with recommended who represent pcs and have been good. I have also a nbr of stat decs and statements from colleagues who vouch for me being at work and also of my character so i feel a bit better now. I also let the team know I don't want to go to the ward when she is there even though the ivo does not include work as i had it excluded and it was agreed.

all of your support and advice has been really useful and we are very grateful. It just seems so unfair that an ivo can be issued so quickly for going round to a friends house?
Anyway its not my call to reason why I just have to get it resolved so we can move on.
Its gone beyond getting the money back now its a point of principle and my reputation which to date has been exemplary. My boss is also supportive and also providing a statement so hopefully this should assist.
Im going to try and ask about the NCIS thanks for that and will also try the isp location. Any more thoughts let me know thanks again heaps guys its really really appreciated.
Frustrated Parkhigh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.