Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sole Traders/Small Business - do you have a business bank account?

Sole Traders/Small Business - do you have a business bank account?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sole Traders/Small Business - do you have a business bank account?

In the process of setting up a new business at the moment. Friend of mine (operating as a sole trader) operates his business out of an ordinary cheque account because he objects to the charging structure. Anyone else do things that way? Would the bank object if they found out I was operating a business through a personal account?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:39 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sole Traders/Small Business - do you have a business bank account?

Originally Posted by Hutch
In the process of setting up a new business at the moment. Friend of mine (operating as a sole trader) operates his business out of an ordinary cheque account because he objects to the charging structure. Anyone else do things that way? Would the bank object if they found out I was operating a business through a personal account?
Nic's set up as a sole trader (chatterbugspeechpathology - just incase anyone needs any speech therapy in Sydney LOL ) - and has set up a separate account, but it's not a 'business' account - just a normal personnal account with ANZ to keep the finances separate. Don't think there's any issues with doing it that way.

Cheers,

Graham
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Nic's set up as a sole trader (chatterbugspeechpathology - just incase anyone needs any speech therapy in Sydney LOL ) - and has set up a separate account, but it's not a 'business' account - just a normal personnal account with ANZ to keep the finances separate. Don't think there's any issues with doing it that way.

Cheers,

Graham
Ah cool. Didn't think the bank thing would be an issue - thanks for the confirmation.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:55 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I just use a "GST Account" Hutch, it's linked to our other ANZ accounts so it shows up in the online banking and has x amount of free transactions per month. We pay all our business cheques + cash into that account then pay ourselves a wage into another account.
I also object to the price/charging structure for business accounts, when you query the charges the answer is "don't worry it's all tax deductable":curse: I loathe the banking fraternities attitude to charging it sucks
You can see why the big banks here can afford to buy up multi national companies in a worldwide market, they charge their customers like wounded bulls.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

What line of business are you venturing into?

I'm a sole-trader and with me being in real estate, in addition to whatever accounts I chose to hold, I must by law operate a separate Trust Account.

I opted to have a business account as well as a personal account; because it helps bookkeeping wise to keep the business side of things separate. Had I not wanted to operate this way........ I don't think the bank would have been too perturbed?

I pay all business bills with a credit card via BPay as this gives us heaps of frequent flyer points, as long as I then transfer funds from operating account into credit card account by cut-off date......... there's no rip-off sky high interest involved!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:06 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

We have everything completely separate although with the same bank, Westpac... Personally I've found the bank charges to be considerably less than the UK...
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:20 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But if you have an ABN number and want to accept payments in your "trading name" then you may have no alternative but to open a business account. Frankly a small business account isnt any more expensive than a personal account (with the NAB anyhow) and at least that way I have seperate EFTPOS and a credit card for it thats linked.

In QLD you have to show your registration of a business name and thats about it to open it.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by cresta57
I just use a "GST Account" Hutch, it's linked to our other ANZ accounts so it shows up in the online banking and has x amount of free transactions per month.
Will have to add that one to the list of accounts to check out. Never really considered ANZ before.

Originally Posted by Bobcat
What line of business are you venturing into?
It's a little tech support business - basically a service company.

Originally Posted by Centurion
But if you have an ABN number and want to accept payments in your "trading name" then you may have no alternative but to open a business account.
Yea I did wonder about that. I'll be using a MoneyTech mobile EFTPOS machine though and I suspect that vast majority of people will choose to pay that way, in which case the business name doesn't really matter.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:20 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I'd recommend any person running a business has their business transactions separate from their personal ones. It make accounting a lot lot easier. On this basis, with business fees not much different from personal ones you may as well do the right thing and get an appropriate business account.