Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sold house before visa granted...?

sold house before visa granted...?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

paul1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sold house before visa granted...?

just wanted to know if anybody decided () to sell their house before their visa got issued and did you think it was a gamble...?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future
Default Re: sold house before visa granted...?

Originally Posted by paul1977
just wanted to know if anybody decided () to sell their house before their visa got issued and did you think it was a gamble...?
We put our house up for sale last July when we passed the TRA and before the visa application was submitted, and at the time we though we would rent here in the UK if or when the visa was granted and if we didnt get it granted we would have a new start here, well our house is still up for sale, without a viewer in just under a year, and the visa was granted 3 months ago, my advice is go for it, I would wish anyone to be in our situation.

Gillian
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:41 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I'm panicking that I havent put my house on the market yet as I'm still doing some jobs and I havent even lodged my visa application yet. Once I do though I'm looking at probably 3 months to visa grant so I'm really behind schedule with my house. If a miracle occurs and my house sells before I get my visa - then I'll just move back in with my Dad or rent for a few months.

Get it on the market!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

we put our house on the market in Jan 08 and did'nt submit our visa until the beginning of Feb, we had lots of interest but no one was in a position to buy then it went very quiet thought we would never sell, dropped 10,000 off and then out of the blue got an offer another 10,000 less haggled them up another 5,000 and accepted. This weekend we just moved in with my parents (there are 4 of us) and we completed the sale today.

We have also just got a case officer so hopefully wont have to be here to long except that the diac have misplaced our medicals !! so not really sure what happens next, lots of e-mails flying round!

So i would say if you are serious about going to Oz get it on the market as it is'nt going to get any better any time soon and good luck with anyone trying to sell as we now feel a great deal of stress has been lifted.

October Oz here we come
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

get it on the market i so wish we had we waited til we got our visas big mistake the market droped by about 30% and we are just in the process of selling our house nearly a year after getting our visas although we have validated em now i just wish we put house on market when we started applying for visa

i reckon we would be £40k better off if we had
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

The Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of light

We submitted visa last June, end of August it was on the market just as it peaked, we managed to get the asking price so excepted. We tried to push it on for as long as we could, thinking we would have been granted by end of Oct/Nov. However we didnt as there was a surge of applications when we applied, creating a back log!! Then end of Nov came and we were told completion date was 2 weeks time! We had to sort out the shippers/storage and all before xmas, we had to tell everyone not to get kids big stuff as it would already be in storage, then of course there was the stress of where were we going to live until we had visas!!

Luckily we have some very close good friends who let us stay with them, all 4 of us may i add in one double room! We thought it would just be for another month at the most, but as it turned out we didnt get them until end of March, then flew 4 weeks later!

Sorry for the long waffling on but my point is, it was really hard doing what we had to do, but we sold the house and actually got the asking price. We were 99% sure that we would get the visa, so if you really go over everything and are this sure, put it on the market ASAP! There really are many that have visa's and cant sell. Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

zoomerang is an unknown quantity at this point

We sold ours in Feb and are going through application at the moment. W took a chance - you have to sometimes!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

We applied for our visa in February and waited until May to put it on the market .........didn't want to sell too soon.

Well with hindsight we should have put it up for sale much earlier. Still not sold - only had six viewings and have dropped our price by 40k. Think we may have to rent out now but not sure if those figures will make it at all possible.

Good luck

Jackie
x
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

hiya mate
we put ours on the market before we had lodged our application, that was in feb, we had quite a bit of intrest in it and probably could have sold it 3 times over had it not been for next doors dog :curse:.
we had an offer put in for 2k under the asking price which we accepted (they came to view 3 times lol), and everything was going ok, so all our stuff was sold and we mved out. three weeks later the building society called to say they had to pull out and the deal was off
so we had to rebuy all the items we sold and move back in.

so have you put yours on the market then or were you just in two minds whether to or not?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noofie
We applied for our visa in February and waited until May to put it on the market .........didn't want to sell too soon.

Well with hindsight we should have put it up for sale much earlier. Still not sold - only had six viewings and have dropped our price by 40k. Think we may have to rent out now but not sure if those figures will make it at all possible.

Good luck

Jackie
x
Ditto
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

We applied for visa in Aug 07, put house on the market in April 08, sold the end of April before we got the visa and moved out July.
We were granted our visa in May.

I am so so glad we did it then. The way things are going we could have still been sitting in it.

We took the risk, and it was a big risk. It paid off, thankfully for us.
Shabee
x
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:13 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

We applied for visa aug 2007 house was already on market, had one buyer pull out in nov date of exchange then sold it again beg of april and visa was granted 10 days later, moved in with mother in law until we came to oz (dont think about it lol)
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Romaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I decided to rent my house out, rented in three weeks. Visa lodged now, homeless but hopeful, no lookng back. Would do the same again. Good Luck!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Yep!

Sent my RPL (skills assesment) away in March and once this was done we put the house on the market. Got the result of this in May and the house sold in June. Moved into a rental in July but still not sent the visa app of as I have to do my IELTS in September, but once this is done the visa app will be on its way!

Wish we had sold sooner as probably lost £10k waiting around for 4 months.

We look at it that we didn't want to stay anyway so even if the visa doesn't happen, we are going to go somewhere else anyway.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:27 pm
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

We applied for visa beginning of Feb and put the house on the market at the beginning of April. This wasn't planned it was just when the rennovations were finished! We have our visa now and are hoping to exchange contracts on the sale tomorrow.

In hindsight I would have put the house on the market as soon as possible and gone into rented.

Afterall you don't have to accept any offers, but in the current market it may take longer than you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.