Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sold House after 6.5mths

Sold House after 6.5mths

Old Aug 18th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sold House after 6.5mths

Too say overjoyed is a understatement!

This weekend sold house, talk about making sure it was for them they viewed it 3 times!

Purchaser phoned last night to say they would put in offer first thing this morning(offer accepted via agent), and to go and get 5 tickets for NZ . Really nice gesture I thought, and even better they want to complete in 6 weeks as they have exchanged already

I'm not gloating here, My wife & I have been to hell & back in trying to sell our house and cope with 3 very young kids, altogether a very stressful 6.5mths. Trying to make your house spotless with 3 kids running amoke is...lets just say hard work. We had about 15 viewings, so it been a nightmare.

What I'm trying to convey is don't give up hope and also to tell others who are desperate to sell to be realistic in what you market your house for. At the start of the year we thought we would sell and recoup a nice profit(before embarking on visa applications etc), we were greedy and it has taken us 6 mths with us dropping our house price twice for us to realise that we had to get REAL! So came off market for 2 weeks and re-invented ourselves(new estate agents) and this time after spending loads of time scanning local property prices, we decided to even drop below what the estate agent valued it at. All in all, from the start of the year we have dropped 15% in value, but its worked, we have sold after 1st week with new agents.

I think others(Don Pleasance springs to mind) have been trying to convey that sellers need to be realistic to make sure they sell quickly in a dropping market, and after the experience of the last 6 mths I can only advise the same.

Get the house sold asap by undercutting your competition, don't be sentimental or unrealistic, be honest with yourselves, I would have even taken a little less to to be shot of it, now its another 6 weeks of panic that they don't pull out(but confident they won't as they need to get out quickly).

So after initial running around and jumping for joy, back to earth with a bump, going to be homeless in 6 weeks and need to sort out some rented accomodation, but at least the worst bit is out the way soon, and money in the bank

To others out there don't give up, your fate is in you own hands

Last edited by GetMeOutOfHere; Aug 18th 2003 at 1:59 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

:PARTY:

Absolutely fantastic news on selling your house. What a relief for you all - my fingers are crossed that it all goes through smoothly.

An excellent post - I totally agree about the price being important. When it boils down to it we have said what would we rather do, stay here for another 6 months and possibly have £10 k more or get out there sooner with 10k less. Lowering the price is the eaiest way to promote interest in your property.

Many congratulations for surviving it all!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Darren,
great to read your post and well done you!! I can only imagine the joy as we don't seem to be anywhere close after almost nine months!! Starting to think of dropping price for second time (although already took 10 grand off it at the start of the summer and it doesn't seem to have made any difference) We have a large four bed bungalow with 1/3 acre private garden which because it is a bungalow seems to attract a lot of older folks but then they don't want the big garden!!!! I could pull my hair out at times and we also have three kids to keep the place in a constant war zone!!!

Having said that the kids are getting better trained now at the big 'clear up' before viewers arrive although it took Kathryn (who's 7), a wee while to cop on that once they are here it's too late to keep tidying. The viewers were standing in the sitting room on night, and she started running around fluffing up the cusions on the settees and rearranging ornaments and things! At least it gave us all laugh and broke the ice with the folk but it is a really stressful business no doubt!!

Take great pleasure in booking those tickets Darren, and wishing you all the best with the completion of the sale and you're new life in NZ!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jajpe
HI Darren,
great to read your post and well done you!! I can only imagine the joy as we don't seem to be anywhere close after almost nine months!! Starting to think of dropping price for second time (although already took 10 grand off it at the start of the summer and it doesn't seem to have made any difference) We have a large four bed bungalow with 1/3 acre private garden which because it is a bungalow seems to attract a lot of older folks but then they don't want the big garden!!!! I could pull my hair out at times and we also have three kids to keep the place in a constant war zone!!!

Having said that the kids are getting better trained now at the big 'clear up' before viewers arrive although it took Kathryn (who's 7), a wee while to cop on that once they are here it's too late to keep tidying. The viewers were standing in the sitting room on night, and she started running around fluffing up the cusions on the settees and rearranging ornaments and things! At least it gave us all laugh and broke the ice with the folk but it is a really stressful business no doubt!!

Take great pleasure in booking those tickets Darren, and wishing you all the best with the completion of the sale and you're new life in NZ!!
Firstly thanks for your good wishes, secondly I know what you going through.

My post is trying to give a bit of hope to others like yourselves and also trying to get across the need for having your property priced right. The market isn't completely dead there are buyers, but the buyers a very fussy and picky.

My advice for yourselves would be to:

1. If you haven't changed agent then do, after 6-8 weeks if you haven't sold then you'll find your agents need a kick up the backside or changing. Take your property off the market for a couple of weeks and then do your research on what is selling before re-entering the market.

2. Price is key, detach yourself from the your property, this is hard as your've probably spent time and money making your property into a home, but you must make that physcological change in how you feel towards your home.
Ask yourselve the question, how much would I pay for this property? (be honest to yourself)

3. Whatever the new agent values it at, market it slightly lower, stipulate that carpets & furnishings are included with a good offer.

We all want to take as much £ with us a possible, its taken me too long to realise that you have to be realistic and understand the market conditions we are in and realise if anything its going to get worse rather than better.

Its like gambling, your've got to walk away from the table when your've reached a goal otherwise you leave with nothing
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tinaj
:PARTY:

Absolutely fantastic news on selling your house. What a relief for you all - my fingers are crossed that it all goes through smoothly.

An excellent post - I totally agree about the price being important. When it boils down to it we have said what would we rather do, stay here for another 6 months and possibly have £10 k more or get out there sooner with 10k less. Lowering the price is the eaiest way to promote interest in your property.

Many congratulations for surviving it all!
Thank you, yes the price is important but the emotional detachment is just as important. An Englishmans home is his castle, and there's some truth in that. It took me too long to realise!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:13 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Firstly thanks for your good wishes, secondly I know what you going through.

My post is trying to give a bit of hope to others like yourselves and also trying to get across the need for having your property priced right. The market isn't completely dead there are buyers, but the buyers a very fussy and picky.

My advice for yourselves would be to:

1. If you haven't changed agent then do, after 6-8 weeks if you haven't sold then you'll find your agents need a kick up the backside or changing. Take your property off the market for a couple of weeks and then do your research on what is selling before re-entering the market.

2. Price is key, detach yourself from the your property, this is hard as your've probably spent time and money making your property into a home, but you must make that physcological change in how you feel towards your home.
Ask yourselve the question, how much would I pay for this property? (be honest to yourself)

3. Whatever the new agent values it at, market it slightly lower, stipulate that carpets & furnishings are included with a good offer.

We all want to take as much £ with us a possible, its taken me too long to realise that you have to be realistic and understand the market conditions we are in and realise if anything its going to get worse rather than better.

Its like gambling, your've got to walk away from the table when your've reached a goal otherwise you leave with nothing
Good post. You did great - you sold at a realistic price in a terrible market. In 1 year, 2 years it could be (who knows?) much worse but now you have got the CERTAINTY of a sale at market value! I reckon a big plus is that the GBP is not going to stay strong (IMO) and so in a year's time you'll have made another 10%+ on the currency conversion too.

Champagne, please.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news Darren!

Just wanted to add that we drpped our price to something more tempting and it paid off! If we hadn't we would still be sitting here, but we complete this Friday and I'm sitting looking at Anglo Pacific boxes at the moment!

The thing is I was offered an interview in NZ with a 99.9% chance of getting the job, and if we hadn't sold the house when we did, I wouldn't have been able to go and start work at the end of the month, so it worked out perfectly. So it was definately worth lopping a load off the price!

Well done again, and good luck with the move!

Karen
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the sale of your home.

We too accepted an offer of £15k lower than the asking price.
Decided that the market is too slow and uncertain to hang around here for much longer. We just want to get out there and get started with our new lives.
We have got the surveyor coming at 10.00 in the morning. Just hope that it goes okay.

Whisky
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by whisky
Congratulations on the sale of your home.

We too accepted an offer of £15k lower than the asking price.
Decided that the market is too slow and uncertain to hang around here for much longer. We just want to get out there and get started with our new lives.
We have got the surveyor coming at 10.00 in the morning. Just hope that it goes okay.

Whisky
Thanks,

It was 15%:scared: and not 15k by the way, I wish it was only 15k.

Good luck tomorrow, and whatever they value it at (I had another 3 agents come out and give valuations), go slightly lower, it shows the agent you want to sell (no messing about) and also prices you property perhaps a bit under similar properties.

It took me bloody 6 mths to wake up and smell the coffee, but I'm drinking champagne now

Last edited by GetMeOutOfHere; Aug 18th 2003 at 8:10 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

It took me bloody 6 mths to wake up and smell the coffee, but I'm drinking champagne now

good on ya..

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sold House after 6.5mths

Darren,

Well done on your house sale. Hope it goes through with no hitches now, it should do by the sounds of things.

Regards..

Southerner