Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar Rebate Scheme - how does it work?

Solar Rebate Scheme - how does it work?

Old May 8th 2007, 12:25 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solar Rebate Scheme - how does it work?

The ABC reports that the govt is likely to double the rebate to $8K (talk a year ago was of it being phased out ). Does it apply to pool heating or does it have to be on household power. How much does it cost in the first place?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1916879.htm
Old May 8th 2007, 12:37 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Rebate Scheme - how does it work?

I've just read in the Telegraph (?) that it can cost up to 14k, so a big investment, and there's also maintenance and the possibility it may be outdated by the time it pays for itself and you need to get the new model.

Still, burning coal instead of using all the sunshine that falls on the country seems madness, but the main problem is the relative inefficiency of solar cells - they're very poor at converting sunshine to electricity - the solar heating for pools works on using direct heat from the sun to heat water.

If this rebate encourages enough people to take it up then you would hope over time the process will be improved and the relative cost will go down.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to do it right now, but I certainly intend doing so when I can.

Big.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:44 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You can find a few prices here http://www.energex.com.au/environmen...sidential.html
Old May 8th 2007, 4:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I've just read in the Telegraph (?) that it can cost up to 14k, so a big investment, and there's also maintenance and the possibility it may be outdated by the time it pays for itself and you need to get the new model.

Still, burning coal instead of using all the sunshine that falls on the country seems madness, but the main problem is the relative inefficiency of solar cells - they're very poor at converting sunshine to electricity - the solar heating for pools works on using direct heat from the sun to heat water.

If this rebate encourages enough people to take it up then you would hope over time the process will be improved and the relative cost will go down.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to do it right now, but I certainly intend doing so when I can.

Big.

.....and be prepared to wait months for the department to process the paperwork.......and then eventually get the rebate - maybe.
Old May 8th 2007, 5:28 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.....and be prepared to wait months for the department to process the paperwork.......and then eventually get the rebate - maybe.
They should make the manufacturer/ installer claim it back on your behalf, and pass on the rebate to the customer.

I have two panels on my roof, one works fine and seems to cope with heating the whole tank up but the other looks shot to pieces so im probably going to look into replacing it, I wonder if I can claim any of it back???
Old May 8th 2007, 5:46 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
They should make the manufacturer/ installer claim it back on your behalf, and pass on the rebate to the customer.

I have two panels on my roof, one works fine and seems to cope with heating the whole tank up but the other looks shot to pieces so im probably going to look into replacing it, I wonder if I can claim any of it back???
I think solar panels are going to be one of those things all new houses have to have from later this year. I guess the builder will have to pay it and claim it in that case?
Old May 8th 2007, 6:19 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, we had money back on our solar water heater after a house build, nothing todo with the builder just claimed it after we moved in.

Originally Posted by worzel
I think solar panels are going to be one of those things all new houses have to have from later this year. I guess the builder will have to pay it and claim it in that case?
Old May 8th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Still a total waste of money. Even with the rebate its about $4000 for 1.5kw.Useless. Only about 20000 hours to pay for itself
Old May 8th 2007, 6:43 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by themerlin
Nah, we had money back on our solar water heater after a house build, nothing todo with the builder just claimed it after we moved in.
The WA govt has announced it is going to go "green" with a raft of measures for new house builds from 1 September:

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=27997
Old May 8th 2007, 6:45 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Still a total waste of money. Even with the rebate its about $4000 for 1.5kw.Useless. Only about 20000 hours to pay for itself
That is the info I was after, thanks. No point in converting but likely to be obligatory on new houses in WA soon.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice

This is the first that I have heard about this scheme, but I do know a little about the systems. Some people on here seem a bit confused:
Photovoltaics (electricity generating solar energy panels) are different to soalr thermal (hot water) energy schemes. Both are quite reliable compared to other renewable systems such as micro-wind power. Solar thermal (in the UK anyway) is now as cost effective as fossil fuels and is an established technology.
Can someone tell me more about this Rebate Scheme, or provide an official state/Government link?
Does it apply in all Australian states, and does it apply to both solar thermal and photovoltaic?
Thanks,
Old May 8th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke

We had solar hot water installed a couple of years ago. The rebate was knocked off the top of the bill and there was no claiming to be done at all by us.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil51
This is the first that I have heard about this scheme, but I do know a little about the systems. Some people on here seem a bit confused:
Photovoltaics (electricity generating solar energy panels) are different to soalr thermal (hot water) energy schemes. Both are quite reliable compared to other renewable systems such as micro-wind power. Solar thermal (in the UK anyway) is now as cost effective as fossil fuels and is an established technology.
Can someone tell me more about this Rebate Scheme, or provide an official state/Government link?
Does it apply in all Australian states, and does it apply to both solar thermal and photovoltaic?
Thanks,
The current $4k rebate doesn't apply to solar hot water - but solar electricity. There is/was a rebate for installing solar hot water but it wasn't that much.

Here's a link to Origin electricity which has some details.

http://www.originenergy.com.au/home/...php?pageid=174
Old May 8th 2007, 3:24 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Might be worth it when the 3rd generation stuff gets into full swing. Supposed to cost about 1/10th per kW and can be stuck on just about anything.
See this site for an example. Or this one for the OZ version.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fnord
Might be worth it when the 3rd generation stuff gets into full swing. Supposed to cost about 1/10th per kW and can be stuck on just about anything.
See this site for an example. Or this one for the OZ version.
There is also a few other new break throughs that indicate a substantial cost reduction in the next generation of solar voltaic cells

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4044811a28.html

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/...4-14870-2.html

Couple this with much more efficient homes and systems and smart engineering design and the capital cost will drop due to smaller system requirements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.