Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar power rebate

Solar power rebate

Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solar power rebate

Hello Campers

I've just got my first full electricity bill since I installed the solar panels.

This is the winter bill and it's about $200 less than last years.

I was hoping to break even during these months but that was not to be.

It'll take a full 12 months worth of bills to see how much I'm saving. Then I'll be able to see if the $12,400 I spent on the system has been worth it.

Here in WA the state government has just done away with their $0.4 per unit rebate and now you only get $0.07 per unit off the electricity company for any excess you feed into the grid. I can't see the how anyone will be better off installing solar from now on. I got in whilst the deal was good.

I wonder how the other envionmentalist:, like myself, are getting on with their systems. Are you turning a profit? And if you are, will you be donating this to the green party or the whales?

Keel
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar power rebate

The problem is that it takes so long to get your original investment back and now as you say with the States drastically reducing their feed in tariff it will take even longer.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I calculated based on electricity prices rising at 15%pa that it would take me 4-5 years to see the investment repaid, but I haven't had my first post-install bill yet.

BB
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it depends on what size system you have, if you have a big array that will supply the whole house with no need for the grid that will take a long time to repay, I have heard 10 years for a full system.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Good little earner this one.

Get people to generate electricity for you at a cheap price but keep whacking up the price to consumers.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how the shelf life of the components compare to the pay back periods.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:39 am
Banned

The real problem is that by the time you have paid for them technology has moved on so much. Solar panels are extremely inefficient but are improving, the next generation will probably be twice as good.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We get ours fitted this month and we are happy with the deal. We looked into it at length and where the panels are manufactured etc. We have friends who have had them for a while and they are happy with the result.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:05 am
Banned

Well I would say 99.9% are manufactured in China. I guess it just depends on whether you are willing to wait many years to see a real return and don't intend moving within that period.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy with mine. Am $200 in credit since Jan

Also helps that I rent, so no outlay for me
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

99% are not manufactured in China and the ones we are getting are not made in China. Canada, Korea and many other countries make panels.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Problem is it's us poor mugs that don't have these installed that are paying for you to feel good about being green.

The gov does pay for these installatons but then bills the power companies the cost so they have to put up ALL our power bills to cover this cost.

I have no problem with owner having these installed so long as I DON'T have to pay for it with higher power bills.

So those 5% of you that have these installed think about the 95% who are paying you to feel good and getting as far as I can see zero benefit.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul

The gov does pay for these installatons but then bills the power companies the cost so they have to put up ALL our power bills to cover this cost.

So those 5% of you that have these installed think about the 95% who are paying you to feel good and getting as far as I can see zero benefit.
No Federal funds are used in the purchase and installation of PV systems, but the State Govts. pay a feed in tarrif (FIT) to encourage take up.
this FIT is the problem in all states , set way to high originally and still the Greens want a higher rate Federally funded.

If you think the small rise in power costs so far is painful , it will get a lot worse with the closure of the coal generators . NSW ( without any carbon tax or closure of coal fired generators ) up 17% this year alone.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mulben
If you think the small rise in power costs so far is painful , it will get a lot worse with the closure of the coal generators . NSW ( without any carbon tax or closure of coal fired generators ) up 17% this year alone.
No way would any sane gov close coal fired power station unless it's output is replaced by an equivalent BASE load power station.

Solar power doesn't produce BASE load so even if you install 100MW of solar power panels you also have to build another 100MW of base load to allow for when the sun doesn't shine unless people are prepared to accept power cuts when the sun goes down.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
No way would any sane gov close coal fired power station .
Sane Govt. wouldn't , but they (quasi Green / Lobotomized Govt.) are already saying they will close Hazelwood in Victoria - 24% of Vics baseload power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.