Solar Panels

Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Panels

Originally Posted by adenray
Hi folks

Thanks for all the information regarding the solar panels. We have solar panels on our house in Crete which literally heats the hot water. I must admit that having this system cuts our expenses by approx 1/3. I'm pleased to hear that it is currently being talked about in Oz.
It's not just being talked about. There must be hundreds of thousands of houses with solar panels for hot water - some of them well over 20 years old.

We had a solar hot water system installed a couple of years ago in our 80-year old house. We had a reasonable rebate (about $1300 from memory) so the total cost to us was around the $2000 mark. Our hot water costs are almost zero during the summer. You do you need to put some effort in during the winter, by checking the cloud cover and flicking the switch for the booster if it's been dull for a while - otherwise you can get surprised by the odd cold shower.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
People are talking about two very different technologies here. One is solar panels for a solar hot water heating and one is solar panels (or photovoltaic panels) which generate electricity.

Solar water heaters have an initial cost which is more than a standard water heater, but payback time on the unit is anything from around 5-10 years.

Photovoltaic panels are very expensive and not particularly efficient at converting the suns light into electricity. The payback time would be more than you lifetime probably. They are best used in remote areas where there is no access to an electricity grid system. The cost of extending the grid to these remote areas is more expensive than installing single units on houses.

You are talking to an ex-renewable energy consultant here

Rudi
Exactly - solar hot water & solar power to run a house. Two different things, I've had both, not sure which one the OP was referring to, but my guess is solar hot water .
Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Solar Panels

Originally Posted by leedslad
you'd think with the amount of sun in Australia that every house would have a roof full.
Some people can't be bothered with the extra fuss and expense; others object for aesthetic reasons.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 1:14 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We heat all our hot water using solar energy. We have a 160 litre capacity "solarhart" system on the roof and it heats enough water for four adults and 2 teenage children to shower and wash clothes etc.
Grants are available and a system installed on a new property costs approx $2400 including the rebate from the Govt. The Qld state rebate ended at the end of the last financial yr though the big federal one is still available.
Solar power is quite common up here in the more remote areas and I've seen quite a few systems installed. A good one costs 24k upwards and that is eligible for rebates of up to 50% depending upon location. Down side is the batteries need replacing every few yrs and they are an expensive item. Most folks use a back up generator for cloudy overcast days.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 2:34 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Daylight hours & sunlight hours are 2 different things. Do you have a link to show that actual sunlight hours are more in the UK than Australia? Having a long twilight in summer doesnt mean that solar power will work any better.

It has alot more to do than with just the amount of time it's light anyway, the position of the sun in the sky also has an effect. Besides which, cloudy days effectively cut the charging to almost zero.

So you were saying .......?

OK thanks for proving me right. Look on any weather related sight and look up day light hours, sorry I won't do the hard work like looking up a search engine and typing in what you want to find lol. Sorry I digressed and you jumped on the oh Aus in everyway is better than UK! Uk has longer summer day light hours fact, please read original post.

So you were saying?
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Well daylight hours are actually shorter than that of UK. But shouldn't post positive facts about UK on here, as they Aus is all wonderful group will round on me lol.

Solar power unit are too expensive as yet to make it viable to have them installed. Maybe a wind turbine would be a better option (these would also work better in UK)
Uk has longer summer day light hours fact, please read original post.
Yep, so you were saying?

Suggest you take your advice & re-read your first post .

Can't be bothered to argue with someone who is simply posting stuff just to stir the pot, if solar power works so well in the UK I suggest you get some solar panels on your roof to run your computer.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks for proving me right. Look on any weather related sight and look up day light hours, sorry I won't do the hard work like looking up a search engine and typing in what you want to find lol. Sorry I digressed and you jumped on the oh Aus in everyway is better than UK! Uk has longer summer day light hours fact, please read original post.

So you were saying?
I don't want to embarrass you further so I won't actually quote your original statement.
Suffice to say that from the north pole to the south pole and all the bit's in the middle get exactly the same hours of light and dark over the course of a whole year. Hence during the arctic summer it doesn't get dark yet in the winter it doesn't get light.
If you want a very simple explanation, and it looks as if you need one.
Take a torch and shine it on a globe the bright centre of the torch where the light is concentrated will be around the tropics, now when the sun is higher ie the northern summer the light from the torch is concentrated on the tropic of Cancer and the light spills over the top of the north pole. the same is true for the Autumnal equinox when the sun is over the tropic of Capricorn and the light spills over the south pole. Thus giving equal amounts of daylight/darkness to the whole world. It also explains why the middle bits are the hotter places, nothing to do with distance from the sun etc. just that they get a more direct angle of sunlight.
Sunlight however is a very different story and best left for when you've absorbed todays lesson in astrology. Something school kids are taught here in grade 4/5 geography. You were probably wagging that day.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We heat all our hot water using solar energy. We have a 160 litre capacity "solarhart" system on the roof and it heats enough water for four adults and 2 teenage children to shower and wash clothes etc.
Grants are available and a system installed on a new property costs approx $2400 including the rebate from the Govt. The Qld state rebate ended at the end of the last financial yr though the big federal one is still available.
Solar power is quite common up here in the more remote areas and I've seen quite a few systems installed. A good one costs 24k upwards and that is eligible for rebates of up to 50% depending upon location. Down side is the batteries need replacing every few yrs and they are an expensive item. Most folks use a back up generator for cloudy overcast days.
Cresta, just been looking at solaheat's web site, now saved in favourites - thanks. I know nothing about solar heating but as we want to build our own house eventually would want to use the sun if possible. Does your system have some sort of backup for cloudy days? I always thought you didn't actually need direct sunshine or have I got it wrong?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I looked into this last year and it costs about $3,500 for a 3 bedroom house after the gov rebates. This is a black radiator on the roof to heat the water and a tank on the ground to store the hot water. As a previous poster says it's going to be compulsory in QLD for new builds in the near future. But yes you do need a backup heating system for the occasional overcast day and I believe this backup system if it's electric they charge you a standing charge that is almost as must as electric water heating costs me at the mo. If your backup system is gas you don't get the gov rebate for installing the solar system as they are trying to reduce the electrical generating requirement.

If you want solar panels to generate electricty you are looking at $100,000 min and that is why it's few and far between and only the rich greenies can afford it. You would also need solar hot water as well because solar panels just don't have the umph for heating water comercially even for a household.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I looked into this last year and it costs about $3,500 for a 3 bedroom house after the gov rebates. This is a black radiator on the roof to heat the water and a tank on the ground to store the hot water. As a previous poster says it's going to be compulsory in QLD for new builds in the near future. But yes you do need a backup heating system for the occasional overcast day and I believe this backup system if it's electric they charge you a standing charge that is almost as must as electric water heating costs me at the mo. If your backup system is gas you don't get the gov rebate for installing the solar system as they are trying to reduce the electrical generating requirement.
Seems to almost defeat the object then (if the object is to save money )
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

100k wow thats alot!

its sad really that we are putting so little research into these renewable energy sources. We can double a pc's processing power in a year, but green energy research moves so slow.

I bet when electric heaters become illegal it will spark a massive investment into researching cheaper solar energy.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't want to embarrass you further so I won't actually quote your original statement.
Suffice to say that from the north pole to the south pole and all the bit's in the middle get exactly the same hours of light and dark over the course of a whole year. Hence during the arctic summer it doesn't get dark yet in the winter it doesn't get light.
If you want a very simple explanation, and it looks as if you need one.
Take a torch and shine it on a globe the bright centre of the torch where the light is concentrated will be around the tropics, now when the sun is higher ie the northern summer the light from the torch is concentrated on the tropic of Cancer and the light spills over the top of the north pole. the same is true for the Autumnal equinox when the sun is over the tropic of Capricorn and the light spills over the south pole. Thus giving equal amounts of daylight/darkness to the whole world. It also explains why the middle bits are the hotter places, nothing to do with distance from the sun etc. just that they get a more direct angle of sunlight.
Sunlight however is a very different story and best left for when you've absorbed todays lesson in ASTROLOGY. Something school kids are taught here in grade 4/5 geography. You were probably wagging that day.

Tomorrow's lesson will be on the difference between "Astrology" and "Astronomy" (!)

Sorry, couldn't resist it!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leedslad
100k wow thats alot!

I bet when electric heaters become illegal it will spark a massive investment into researching cheaper solar energy.
Large ammounts of money are being spent on research on this at the moment but they need an Einstein with a radical idea to break the impass.

How I see it is there are 3 brick walls we have hit. We cannot produce power from fusion, we cannot find a way to store electricty efficiently (Batteries) and we cannot generate power from the sun comercially. I'm sure their are more but these to me are the keys to economic success.

I'm also in favour of $2 per litre petrol as I HATE the thought of being dependent on Middle eastern oil and paying a high price for petrol virtually guarenttees alternatives will be developed that are not dependent on middle eastern oil (oil shale in Oz is a prime candidate).
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

The extra money spent on fuel would only be channeled down another non-environmentally friendly, non-Australian route.

Taxing the public isn't the answer in my view. It’s the Industry giants that should be taxed.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Tomorrow's lesson will be on the difference between "Astrology" and "Astronomy" (!)

Sorry, couldn't resist it!
Nice one Rog My spelling is atrocious though it's usually good enough to know that the words are spelled wrongly so I rely far too heavily on spell checker bloody thing let me down big style this time. I guess I should have seen it in the stars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.