Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solar hot water pipes

View Poll Results: Solar how water: do your pipes bang?
Yes
12.50%
No
87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Solar hot water pipes

Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Solar hot water pipes

We have an Edwards solar hot water system which we have used since we moved in early January. The tank is on the roof with the panels.

The pipes have always "banged" since day one, but lately it has got worse. We have already had the plumbers round to look at them and they tried putting some sort of aerator thing under the tap in the kitchen which worked for about a week.... I am reluctant to have them back as honestly I dont think they have a clue what to do about it and last time they were hear one of them fell through the ceiling...

At the weekend we stayed with some friends who also have solar and their pipes were banging as well... so I wondered if this is just a normal thing with solar systems?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar hot water pipes

My guess would be that the water is getting up to boiling point somewhere, and it's the release of bubbles. Can you check the temperature in the hottest part?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:07 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
We have an Edwards solar hot water system which we have used since we moved in early January. The tank is on the roof with the panels.

The pipes have always "banged" since day one, but lately it has got worse. We have already had the plumbers round to look at them and they tried putting some sort of aerator thing under the tap in the kitchen which worked for about a week.... I am reluctant to have them back as honestly I dont think they have a clue what to do about it and last time they were hear one of them fell through the ceiling...

At the weekend we stayed with some friends who also have solar and their pipes were banging as well... so I wondered if this is just a normal thing with solar systems?
We have an Edwards SHWS same set up by the sound of things and dont get any banging.
The only thing we did have when we first moved in was some of the pipework which runs across a flat tin roof to an area of the house that is an extension use to rattle slightly if it was really windy so I just stuck some pipe lagging(??) around it and that sorted that out.
Any idea exactly where the pipes are banging? is it air going through the pipes or the pipes themselves banging together or on something?
Up on the roof ours have a sort of release lever which your supposed to check every 6months or so, I think it opens a valve and clears through crap thats built up and maybe air blockages
One other thing could be that its over heating in some way, do you have a switch (ours is in fuse box) to basically turn it on fulltime (ie not rely on the sun) ? maybe thats on fulltime or something and the thermostat isnt working.
Maybe contact Edwards directly and see if they have any advice.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Steve, yes think I'll ring and ask Edwards as havent a clue what is causing it. Could also try testing the temp.... I am wondering as in the summer it gets sooooooooooooooo hot (we have control valves on all taps other than kitchen and laundry), the sound appears to come from in the walls... very odd...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a combination of insufficient pipe clamps, uninsulated pipes, shonky valve somewhere or multiples of the above. Our solar is a Dux panel on roof Tank under house, we don't have any water hammer. Are you sure it's the pipes? do they bang only when the taps are turned on? Our place makes some really loud creaks & groans as it expands & contracts with the fluctuations in temperature.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, they just bang when the taps are turned on and off. it started with just the washing machine in the laundry (we have UK one so it runs off hot and cold) but now is all the taps......

They have been in the loft and lagged and secured them (putting another hole in our bathroom ceiling in the process....!) but I think it is just shonky building work!!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they just bang when the taps are turned on and off. it started with just the washing machine in the laundry (we have UK one so it runs off hot and cold) but now is all the taps......

They have been in the loft and lagged and secured them (putting another hole in our bathroom ceiling in the process....!) but I think it is just shonky building work!!!
Do you have isolator taps?

I ask because there are two basic models of isolators: one has a "floating" washer and the other a washer fixed to the spindle. The former is prone to rebounding when the ordinary tap/washing machine solenoid closes, sending a shockwave back through the plumbing and causing an annoying "bang".

If you *have* such floating valves, they can be replaced with fixed washers in a few seconds for a few cents and Lo! no banging!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dunno but will ask teh other half this question and get him to investigate, thanks
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dunno but will ask teh other half this question and get him to investigate, thanks
Our new build had the pipe banging problem and the plumber changed the washers over in 20 mins: problem solved!

Let us know how it turns out.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

will do thanks
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:14 am
Just Joined

BigG176 will become famous soon enoughBigG176 will become famous soon enough

Hi
as seems to have been worked out already you have a water hammer effect caused by a valve slamming shut this causes the pressure to 'bounce' back and forth along the pipes.
I had just this problem in my central heating system (still in uk) after a few weeks of listening to where the noise was loudest I figured out it was a thermostatic valve on the kitchen radiator. Next time I drained the system down I changed the valve, problem fixed.
So you have to find the valve that is starting the water hammer & change it for a new one or as suggested above replace it with a manual non spring loaded valve.
Good luck hope this helps