Solar Hot Water

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Solar Hot Water

Originally Posted by smee
You would have to buy some sort of water heating anyway, so if you took the price of a water heater, say $800, off the price of the solar water heater it is only costing you an extra $2200. Plus there might be Government rebates, there is in WA for installing a solar water heater, and for installing rainwater tanks.
My water heater does not need replacing at the mo ! but we are thinking of way to reduce are carbon footprint, but as I said can't get past the cost would like to pay x amounts of 1k's and feel better but have to still raise the kids , to me seems a no win thing !
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/solarhotwater/index.html

Federal govt rebates of up to $1000. Could be worth checking out.

We have solar and think it's great. Up here in Brisbane we only had the electric back up on for a handful of days over winter.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NickyC
Even if you don't gain the full economic benefit yourself - whoever buys the property from you will benefit from your far-sightedness, good intentions, care for the environment etc, etc

And who knows - the next house you buy might already have solar hot water installed by someone else who did the right thing for non-economic reasons....
If everyone paid to have all the things fitted to there houses that were the 'right thing' people would have run out of money very quickly and get into a lot of debt and were do you draw the line, solar heating , solar leccie , rain tank, grey water ,hybrid car ....I'm sure there heaps more
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
If everyone paid to have all the things fitted to there houses that were the 'right thing' people would have run out of money very quickly and get into a lot of debt and were do you draw the line, solar heating , solar leccie , rain tank, grey water ,hybrid car ....I'm sure there heaps more
very true..

I think replacing responsibly during the natural cycle of replacement is the way to go.. and compromising function and form against fiscal ruin.. has to be addressed lol
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
very true..

I think replacing responsibly during the natural cycle of replacement is the way to go.. and compromising function and form against fiscal ruin.. has to be addressed lol

This is excatly the point i was trying to put across last night Damn Wine !
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

This is excatly the point i was trying to put across last night Damn Wine !
LOL i was on Gin n Coke... so no sense from me after 7pm
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by melaniee
Any got it ? Anyone recommend or, not recommend it ? What are the + and - ?
Why would you not get it??........we live in N.Ireland and there are loads of people I know getting it installed in new houses..........We don't even get sun

Not only is it eco friendly but surely in oz it is common sense.........with all the sun it's bound to save money

When we finally get to oz we will definately be getting solar water heating installed.......
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markandgill
Why would you not get it??........we live in N.Ireland and there are loads of people I know getting it installed in new houses..........We don't even get sun

Not only is it eco friendly but surely in oz it is common sense.........with all the sun it's bound to save money

When we finally get to oz we will definately be getting solar water heating installed.......
That is easy to say before you get here but by the time you get a place and are earning in dollars $2.5k after rebate is quite a bit , I don't kno waht the water cost in Ireland but here are water bill per year + our electric is around $1,960 per year (£868)........go on ya if you do it tho'
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

That is easy to say before you get here but by the time you get a place and are earning in dollars $2.5k after rebate is quite a bit , I don't kno waht the water cost in Ireland but here are water bill per year + our electric is around $1,960 per year (£868)........go on ya if you do it tho'
Sorry....was'nt havin a go

Its about 2 - 2.5 grand here to get it installed .....sterling........but I have been reliably informed that you would save that figure quite quickly if heating water by conventional methods........ie electric/gas

With the sunshine that you get in oz it would surely be a good investment?

P.s.....the gov gives a grant of about 1 grand
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markandgill
Sorry....was'nt havin a go

Its about 2 - 2.5 grand here to get it installed .....sterling........but I have been reliably informed that you would save that figure quite quickly if heating water by conventional methods........ie electric/gas

With the sunshine that you get in oz it would surely be a good investment?

P.s.....the gov gives a grant of about 1 grand
Yep , you are right about the rebate ,they cost around $3500 before the rebate , so what i am weighing up is it saves around $100 peryear on leccie whick means (after the rebate) it will take 20 ish years taking in to account hikes in leccie to pay for itself .......I know the greeny thing to do is put it in anyway but we have alredy move 2 times since we have been here (29.12.05) ....if we then move to a house without it I have the whole thing to decided again ....
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Can I ask those that have solar hot water systems how often they put their boosters on, especially on cloudy days in the spring and summer? With the storms that we had in Brisbane lately, I've found that i have had to put the booster on especially if it has been cloudy all day. we are only a family of 4 (2 under ten) and have a solarhart 300 liter system fitted. We have a washing machine and a dishwasher that is used once a day. Does this sound right compared to how often you may use your supply booster?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. We want to install solar but we were talking to a builder recently who said he would put gas in over solar all the time as when solar goes wrong, panels get damaged etc, it is very expensive. Still he admitted himself he was an ozone damaging nightmare. And we are green ! Thank you-looks like we will install solar.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
Can I ask those that have solar hot water systems how often they put their boosters on, especially on cloudy days in the spring and summer? With the storms that we had in Brisbane lately, I've found that i have had to put the booster on especially if it has been cloudy all day. we are only a family of 4 (2 under ten) and have a solarhart 300 liter system fitted. We have a washing machine and a dishwasher that is used once a day. Does this sound right compared to how often you may use your supply booster?
< Do not have an electric booster. No problems, on ours.