soil tests

Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:53 pm
WBB

Default soil tests

hi, we are looking into the possibility of buying half an acre from a friend in queensland, before we can do anything on the land we have heard we would need to have soil tests done, does anyone know what they are testing for?

is it an acidity type test or are they looking for something else?

Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: soil tests

Originally posted by welshboybilly
hi, we are looking into the possibility of buying half an acre from a friend in queensland, before we can do anything on the land we have heard we would need to have soil tests done, does anyone know what they are testing for?

Dunno, but you can buy basic soil testers at B&Q... perhaps they're looking at something else
Old Sep 24th 2003, 3:59 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Larissa
Dunno, but you can buy basic soil testers at B&Q... perhaps they're looking at something else

i dunno, weird though init

Old Sep 24th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If it is like over here they look at the suitability of the land to build on. If it is too soft or moist then the builing can subside etc. I expect it is for similar reasons out there.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 4:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tinaj
If it is like over here they look at the suitability of the land to build on. If it is too soft or moist then the builing can subside etc. I expect it is for similar reasons out there.

oh right, i was barking up the wrong tree then.

cheers

Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:05 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

A soil test is to determine the composition of the land prior to development. Usually a core sample is taken and depth of topsoil/clay/sand or rock are measured. It helps in determining the thickness and structure of the footings for the development. In the U.K simlar tests are carried out prior to large developments though not always for smaller single plots. :lecture:
Sean
Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:07 pm
WBB

so this is normal practice in aus, even on a small half acre plot?

Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

so this is normal practice in aus, even on a small half acre plot?
In my limited experience [Queensland] yes. They do a compression test to determine loading they also drill down to find out how deep the bedrock is and also check for if the area is liable to flooding.
A few people have had houses built I'm sure they will give you more details if you ask
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Soil Test determines the type of foundations your home will need.

S Site is ideal, M site will need reinforcements of Concrete piers or beams, H site up here usually means clay and can result in quite large foundations. There are other classes too, which you should have a very good chat with your engineer about could be very expensive.

Word of warning if going with one of the big cheap project home builders. Home price is subject to your soil test, the big scam here which would be unknown to most new arrivals is they bump up your Soil Report to a worst class and come up with a Huge bill which is amazingly added to your 'cheap as seen in the newspaper price". To avoid this pay about $400 and get your own soil test done in conjunction with theirs and make sure they know you are doing it, should keep them honest.

Land can be bought subject to a "Soil test satisfactory to the purchaser".
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by dotty

S Site is ideal, M site will need reinforcements of Concrete piers or beams, H site up here usually means clay and can result in quite large foundations. There are other classes too, which you should have a very good chat with your engineer about could be very expensive.

Word of warning if going with one of the big cheap project home builders. Home price is subject to your soil test, the big scam here which would be unknown to most new arrivals is they bump up your Soil Report to a worst class and come up with a Huge bill which is amazingly added to your 'cheap as seen in the newspaper price". To avoid this pay about $400 and get your own soil test done in conjunction with theirs and make sure they know you are doing it, should keep them honest.

thanks for the advice, my mate who owns the land had said something along those lines but i just wanted a bit more info, had never heard of a soil test b4.

cheers

Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:37 pm

Originally posted by dotty

The same pitfalls exist here in UK as well. We took on a self build for a chap who had bought a plot of land from a local farmer. The guy had architects design the place and supposedly had tests done. Whilst the footings were being dug the banksman spotted bulrushes buried deep in the ground and as work progressed clay turned to silt and then to running sand. The farmer had filled in an old spring fed pond and the whole project had to be abandoned as the chap paying for the house couldn't afford the extensive piling work required. He now owns the most expensive angling pond in the area.
Sean
Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I bought my land "subject to a soil test"... can't remember the classes.. I have it somewhere. Anyway mine was not "A1" soil .. The best ones foundation can be put straight onto the soil... because we live on a bit of hill... and it could be washed away. We have poles going into the ground below our foundations.. think it cost about $2 grand extra than the normal foundations. ... it wasn't a lot anyway. My neighbours have built back from the edge using normal foundations.. if the land is ever washed away.. they are B*ggered! ( they are older type homes... about 15 year old I think)

Cheers