Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sofa for storage

sofa for storage

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default sofa for storage

Just been offered a new sofa,cant refuse,away to do a bit of house work and hopefully several months or say end of the year or just after looking to move to oz,im looking to store the new sofa in the garage,while work gets done in the house and just see out this old sofa until we go.
Any tips on how to wrap and pack the sofa to keep it right for when we go,its part leather and part fabric.
I have been storing many household stuff i plan on taking with me in the garage which has now been removed,no sign of mice,or damp etc etc while its had been in there.
I was worried we might get mice where they might damage the sofa,but i really never seen any signs of any when my other stuff had been in there,only thing was out of a lots of stuff and i mean a lot was a plastic bag,was falling apart,in bits,but no sign of damage to the box inside?what happened there moths?
I have been through everything i had in there and nothing else any sign of mice.
I am wondering if anyone has done something like this before,how they wrapped there sofa,what with,anything they used to help keep it as nice as the day it went in there,anything that might keep insects away like moths?im sure i read about mothballs what are they,would they be able to go through the wrapping i will protect the sofa with?
I managed to buy some stuff argos now ships there sofa in called sofa bubble envelope where you place the sofa inside,its only going to be good for the 3 corner,need to know what i can wrap or pack the swivel seat with.
I thought i ask here as you have guys have maybe been through this before,might be packers on here who do this all the time so any tips is great.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sofa for storage

Ring around some of the shippers and ask. Tell them you will also be considering them to be your shippers when you finally make plans.

However our shippers just wrapped our fairly new sofas in thick brown paper, cushions wrapped separately and the feet and wooden bits were wrapped in bubble wrap first, two months in a container and they were fine. It needs to be able to breathe so fully bubble wrapped or plastic will make it sweat and go mouldy.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ring around some of the shippers and ask. Tell them you will also be considering them to be your shippers when you finally make plans.

However our shippers just wrapped our fairly new sofas in thick brown paper, cushions wrapped separately and the feet and wooden bits were wrapped in bubble wrap first, two months in a container and they were fine. It needs to be able to breathe so fully bubble wrapped or plastic will make it sweat and go mouldy.
But thats probably cause yours is in a container where its probably getting some changes in weather conditions,temperature etc where its gonna maybe sweat,the things i have used is like cloth sort of stuff one side which goes against the fabric/sofa of sofa and the other side is like pvc bubble probably making it waterproof and protective being bubble.another part of the sofa ie chair i used this thin breathable sort of stuff i got from a shop that they had been unwrapping a sofa i wrap with this and then with some poly,thats how they shipped to that shop,you make me worry when you say it can sweat etc but this is what they use to deliver sofas from a well know high street store and also our local store.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
But thats probably cause yours is in a container where its probably getting some changes in weather conditions,temperature etc where its gonna maybe sweat,the things i have used is like cloth sort of stuff one side which goes against the fabric/sofa of sofa and the other side is like pvc bubble probably making it waterproof and protective being bubble.another part of the sofa ie chair i used this thin breathable sort of stuff i got from a shop that they had been unwrapping a sofa i wrap with this and then with some poly,thats how they shipped to that shop,you make me worry when you say it can sweat etc but this is what they use to deliver sofas from a well know high street store and also our local store.
True, it's probably not going to get hot enough to sweat in a UK garage You can (or could) get those sachets of moisture lock granuals from Argos, you could always get a pile of them to put inside the packing
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
True, it's probably not going to get hot enough to sweat in a UK garage You can (or could) get those sachets of moisture lock granuals from Argos, you could always get a pile of them to put inside the packing
what granuals from argos you got an item number,did not know they sell such item
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by brian.w
what granuals from argos you got an item number,did not know they sell such item
No idea People used to buy them from there, and shove them in their packing before the shippers turned up. Going back a few years since they were mentioned a lot though, may not still do them.

Edit: couldn't find them on Argos but found this lot, look quite reasonable. No idea if you'd need them but some people who've moved over used them so they may do some good.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jun 24th 2012 at 12:33 pm.