British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Social work Melbourne? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/social-work-melbourne-905932/)

Cldb Nov 16th 2017 9:09 pm

Social work Melbourne?

Hi I’m wondering if any social worker’s on here can help me. I’ve just been offered a social work post in Melbourne via the recruitment drive they have been doing. It will be a 457 VISA. The thing is they have offered me the lowest band for and advanced post and I’m in the process of negotiating. I work at Cafcass in the UK and I’m paid the equivalent of a LA team manager based in the north west. My office base will be Cheltenham and we’ll be hoping to rent around the bayside area. I know standard of living is all relative but I’m after an idea of a realistic wage as I don’t want to leave a reasonably comfortable life to end up struggling. We want to be able to earn enough to live more or less the same. I wouldn’t say we’re extravagant a few nights out a month, maybe the odd dinner out or takeaway and the usual saving for holidays. It will be just me and the hubby moving, no kids. He hasn’t got a job yet, he’s in a different sector but earns roughly the same as me in the uk.

swh48 Nov 29th 2017 5:31 am

Re: Social work Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12383832)
Hi I’m wondering if any social worker’s on here can help me. I’ve just been offered a social work post in Melbourne via the recruitment drive they have been doing. It will be a 457 VISA. The thing is they have offered me the lowest band for and advanced post and I’m in the process of negotiating. I work at Cafcass in the UK and I’m paid the equivalent of a LA team manager based in the north west. My office base will be Cheltenham and we’ll be hoping to rent around the bayside area. I know standard of living is all relative but I’m after an idea of a realistic wage as I don’t want to leave a reasonably comfortable life to end up struggling. We want to be able to earn enough to live more or less the same. I wouldn’t say we’re extravagant a few nights out a month, maybe the odd dinner out or takeaway and the usual saving for holidays. It will be just me and the hubby moving, no kids. He hasn’t got a job yet, he’s in a different sector but earns roughly the same as me in the uk.

Hi. I just wondered where you had got to with this? Also if you don't mind I had a couple of questions? Did you apply directly for this job and how long did it all take in relation to application interview and offer etc? How are you getting on with your negotiations?

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 5:10 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12390824]Hi. I just wondered where you had got to with this? Also if you don't mind I had a couple of questions? Did you apply directly for this job and how long did it all take in relation to application interview and offer etc? How are you getting on with your negotiations?

Sorry for the late reply. I applied through an agency. Once u sent my application in the process was quite quick. I had to do a one way video interview, psychometric test then formal interview. Yes I managed to negotiate a higher wage. I had to send an email saying why I think I’m worth more than they offered

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12394964]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12390824)
Hi. I just wondered where you had got to with this? Also if you don't mind I had a couple of questions? Did you apply directly for this job and how long did it all take in relation to application interview and offer etc? How are you getting on with your negotiations?

Sorry for the late reply. I applied through an agency. Once u sent my application in the process was quite quick. I had to do a one way video interview, psychometric test then formal interview. Yes I managed to negotiate a higher wage. I had to send an email saying why I think I’m worth more than they offered

Would you mind me asking which agency and whether you have a contact you could send me? Oh well done you i'm glad you managed to negotiate a higher wage. How long from applying did you get an offer? Also, when. Do you plan to move out there? Sorry for all the questions but have you already applied for your aasw assessment?

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12394974]

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12394964)

Would you mind me asking which agency and whether you have a contact you could send me? Oh well done you i'm glad you managed to negotiate a higher wage. How long from applying did you get an offer? Also, when. Do you plan to move out there? Sorry for all the questions but have you already applied for your aasw assessment?

Hi I went through Tripod. i cant recall how long it took but it really was only a few weeks from application to offer. I am going through AASW at the mo. Its a nightmare, i now have to take the Ielts because i left school early and have no GCSE's despite since gaining to degree's and a post grad diploma! i would get your AASW sent off as soon as you can because apparently its taking around 4=5 months. have you been on the UK social workers wanting oz page on facebook, if not get on there its quite useful.

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 6:04 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12394989]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12394974)

Hi I went through Tripod. i cant recall how long it took but it really was only a few weeks from application to offer. I am going through AASW at the mo. Its a nightmare, i now have to take the Ielts because i left school early and have no GCSE's despite since gaining to degree's and a post grad diploma! i would get your AASW sent off as soon as you can because apparently its taking around 4=5 months. have you been on the UK social workers wanting oz page on facebook, if not get on there its quite useful.

Oh wow so we're in a bit of a similar situation. I also have a post graduate diploma so i'm having to write the extra statement for criteria 3. I'm hoping to get it all sent off next week once I get my referee to sign my statement. Stay in touch, hopefully we can support each other through the aasw experience!! Will you be moving out to Melbourne?

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 6:16 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12395004]

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12394989)

Oh wow so we're in a bit of a similar situation. I also have a post graduate diploma so i'm having to write the extra statement for criteria 3. I'm hoping to get it all sent off next week once I get my referee to sign my statement. Stay in touch, hopefully we can support each other through the aasw experience!! Will you be moving out to Melbourne?

My degree is in social work so fortunately I don’t have to do section 3. I’ve sent my IQA to uni to fill in. I think a lot of people are having a nightmare with the ASSW processing times. Yes i’ll Be going Melbourne i’ll Be based in Cheltenham

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12395014]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12395004)
My degree is in social work so fortunately I don’t have to do section 3. I’ve sent my IQA to uni to fill in. I think a lot of people are having a nightmare with the ASSW processing times. Yes i’ll Be going Melbourne i’ll Be based in Cheltenham

Congratulations. I should get on to some recruitment people. I thought that I couldn't do it until I'd got all my AASW approval so that's good to know. I'm hoping to move out toe Melbourne too but I'm envisaging that it may take a year or so. Did you say you worked for CAFCASS? I have quite a few friends at CAFCASS too!

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 7:02 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12395023]

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12395014)

Congratulations. I should get on to some recruitment people. I thought that I couldn't do it until I'd got all my AASW approval so that's good to know. I'm hoping to move out toe Melbourne too but I'm envisaging that it may take a year or so. Did you say you worked for CAFCASS? I have quite a few friends at CAFCASS too!

Get on to tripod and tell them claire recommended you. What area do your friends work for? Make sure you head over to the Facebook group, plenty of sw in the same position as us? What area do you want to move to. Melbourne have a recruitment drive on offering sponsorship

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 7:02 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12394989]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12394974)

I just wondered whether it was tripod recruitment agency in the UK or are they are recruitment agent in Melbourne called Tripod?

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 7:12 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12395041]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12395023)
Get on to tripod and tell them claire recommended you. What area do your friends work for? Make sure you head over to the Facebook group, plenty of sw in the same position as us? What area do you want to move to. Melbourne have a recruitment drive on offering sponsorship

I can't find tripod online, do you have link to them or an email address? Yep will heck out the FB group. I was hoping to move to Melbourne too.

I have friends in the office in Leeds and in or near Manchester. One in the Bloomsbury office.

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12395043]

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12394989)

I just wondered whether it was tripod recruitment agency in the UK or are they are recruitment agent in Melbourne called Tripod?

UK

swh48 Dec 6th 2017 7:19 pm

[QUOTE=Cldb;12395052]

Originally Posted by swh48 (Post 12395043)

UK

Ah okay thanks. I'll try and get on to them.is there a referral bonus? If so can say you referred me so you get the bonus?

Cldb Dec 6th 2017 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=swh48;12395056]

Originally Posted by Cldb (Post 12395052)

Ah okay thanks. I'll try and get on to them.is there a referral bonus? If so can say you referred me so you get the bonus?

Yes I think there is I’m happy to split if you give my name. Good luck x