Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second time around trying to get PR to OZ

Second time around trying to get PR to OZ

Old Dec 6th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

JASO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second time around trying to get PR to OZ

Hello, Just joined the website and looking for some support and advise please.

I came to Oz in 2008 and through luck, good fortune and quite a bit of cash managed to stay there for 8 years. Sadly, in 2015 I herniated a disc and had to return home to the UK. I have an Australian qualification as a carpenter and have been working, all be it self employed as a carpenter since Ive been back. The work has been a bit inconsistent and I have been doing both agency and 'on the books' jobs so all in all I have about 2 years of experience with the agency work.

A few month ago I met a German girl and we are planning to move back over. She is a qualified Early years Teacher with a German degree so I dont know how that will work. I am 42 and she is 45 so I guess she will have to piggy back on my visa (all being well).

So, I guess what Im really asking, if anyone knows is as a carpenter, do I need to have worked full time or is self employed but working for a company still ok and can agency work be put down as 'working as a carpenter' experience? The other thing Im not sure is if we can apply for a 189 visa but I think I have to have had 3 years experience, Is that correct?

We would very much like some advise and maybe even a good agent if you can suggest one here in the UK

Many Thanks

Sonja & James
Old Dec 6th 2017, 7:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second time around trying to get PR to OZ

Originally Posted by JASO
Hello, Just joined the website and looking for some support and advise please.

I came to Oz in 2008 and through luck, good fortune and quite a bit of cash managed to stay there for 8 years. Sadly, in 2015 I herniated a disc and had to return home to the UK. I have an Australian qualification as a carpenter and have been working, all be it self employed as a carpenter since Ive been back. The work has been a bit inconsistent and I have been doing both agency and 'on the books' jobs so all in all I have about 2 years of experience with the agency work.

A few month ago I met a German girl and we are planning to move back over. She is a qualified Early years Teacher with a German degree so I dont know how that will work. I am 42 and she is 45 so I guess she will have to piggy back on my visa (all being well).

So, I guess what Im really asking, if anyone knows is as a carpenter, do I need to have worked full time or is self employed but working for a company still ok and can agency work be put down as 'working as a carpenter' experience? The other thing Im not sure is if we can apply for a 189 visa but I think I have to have had 3 years experience, Is that correct?

We would very much like some advise and maybe even a good agent if you can suggest one here in the UK

Many Thanks

Sonja & James
Can't advise you on the skills stuff, but if you want to come over as a couple either you will need to get married,or you will need to be able to prove you have been a de facto couple ( living together etc) for 12 months minimum
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:36 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is unclear whether you already have a visa for yourself and you need one for your partner, or if you need a new one for both of you., I guess if you lived here previously you had one then ? Do you just need an RRV for yourself and then a new visa for her ?
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Your post is unclear whether you already have a visa for yourself and you need one for your partner, or if you need a new one for both of you., I guess if you lived here previously you had one then ? Do you just need an RRV for yourself and then a new visa for her ?
Sorry .. I guess it all sounded pretty clear in my head..hahaha

I lived in Aus on a temp visa and had to come home but I dont have a visa to go back. My partner and I now are looking to move there permanently so i will need a permanent visa and for her, she will need a spousal visa of sorts.. to piggy back off mine..I hope that makes more sense!!
Old Dec 6th 2017, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't advise you on the skills stuff, but if you want to come over as a couple either you will need to get married,or you will need to be able to prove you have been a de facto couple ( living together etc) for 12 months minimum
Hi Pollyana, thanks you for your reply... We have done a bit of googling and agree, yes will def need to live together for at least 12 months... Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2017, 9:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JASO
Sorry .. I guess it all sounded pretty clear in my head..hahaha

I lived in Aus on a temp visa and had to come home but I dont have a visa to go back. My partner and I now are looking to move there permanently so i will need a permanent visa and for her, she will need a spousal visa of sorts.. to piggy back off mine..I hope that makes more sense!!
Are you married to her or have you lived together for 12+ months and can prove it?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You have two issues.

The first is I am not certain you will be able to pass the skills assessment as you may, from what you have said, struggle to show three years full time experience.

The second is to include your girlfriend on your application you need to prove you have lived together for 12 months.

As a side note, she can't apply as main applicant as she would be too old as age limit for primary applicant is now 45.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to consider is your health. Is your back still a problem? In which case the prospect of the government letting someone in who might go on disability benefits within a short time might not appeal to them.