Reload this Page >

Social Work in Australia

Social Work in Australia

Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Work in Australia

Originally Posted by swh48
Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this. I'm very much at the beginning stages with this all. I'm looking at completing the AASW assessment of qualifications and wondered if anyone could help? If and when people sent off their forms and documents, how quickly did they get a response? Also if they were successful and were eligible for membership does anyone know how long it is valid for? What I mean is in the UK we have the HCPC registration for two years before we have to renew, is it the same with the AASW?

Any help would be really appreciated!!!
I sent my documents off in a big file and I got an email response acknowledging receipt around 2 weeks later. The email also said it will take 14-16 weeks though to have the result of the assessment back. So now I'm waiting until middle of May before being able to do anything else. I passed by IELTS for the 20 points a few weeks ago though as well.

I'm not sure how long AASW membership is valid for. I do know that you don't have to have it to practice though. Social work isn't yet a registered profession in Australia. However, most employers seem to ask for evidence that you are eligible for membership of the AASW. So it's probably a good idea to be a member anyway. As part of the skills assessment you can also ask for a free assessment for eligibility for AASW.

Hope this makes sense!
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

swh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to allswh48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jacko86
I sent my documents off in a big file and I got an email response acknowledging receipt around 2 weeks later. The email also said it will take 14-16 weeks though to have the result of the assessment back. So now I'm waiting until middle of May before being able to do anything else. I passed by IELTS for the 20 points a few weeks ago though as well.

I'm not sure how long AASW membership is valid for. I do know that you don't have to have it to practice though. Social work isn't yet a registered profession in Australia. However, most employers seem to ask for evidence that you are eligible for membership of the AASW. So it's probably a good idea to be a member anyway. As part of the skills assessment you can also ask for a free assessment for eligibility for AASW.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks for responding! It's all such a minefield! I don't really know what the current climate is in Australia in terms of social work as in whether it's in demand like it is here in the UK. I'm finding the forms really difficult to understand. For the field work placements did you just fill in your student placements?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swh48
Thanks for responding! It's all such a minefield! I don't really know what the current climate is in Australia in terms of social work as in whether it's in demand like it is here in the UK. I'm finding the forms really difficult to understand. For the field work placements did you just fill in your student placements?
I think child protection seems to be in demand and also adult mental health social workers.

Yes the field work placements were just my two student placements (I did a 2 year masters). Also got the uni to fill in the IQA form thing.

The assessment form isn't too bad as long as you read it carefully and look at the FAQs on the website. Is quite time consuming though. Getting the documents certified was the thing that took the most time.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:52 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

I think child protection seems to be in demand and also adult mental health social workers.

Yes the field work placements were just my two student placements (I did a 2 year masters). Also got the uni to fill in the IQA form thing.

The assessment form isn't too bad as long as you read it carefully and look at the FAQs on the website. Is quite time consuming though. Getting the documents certified was the thing that took the most time.
just in case any would-be social workers missed this - Victoria Dept of Health and Human Services are seeking Child Protection workers and travelling to the UK to recruit...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...ctoria-891056/
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Karen1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has been through the skilled employment checks as part of the assessment? I have everything for my qualifications sorted but wondering about the employment section for more points for 189 visa. I've been working through an agency here in U.K. In SW roles and wondering how much detail is needed in checks as I've had a VERY high turn over of team leads etc. I'm considering putting job descriptions along with agency as references to verify dates etc but not sure this will be enough? Anyone been through the employment checks??
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

sab1769 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got all my bits sorted for the AASW Skills Assessment ready to send off next week, including the certified documents .

Also got an IELTS test booked for 21st January to hopefully get the extra 20 points.

If all goes according to plan should have positive skills assessment by April and be able to complete an EOI. We're looking at bringing things forward a bit and leaving early 2018.

Hi there! I messaged on here back in December.. I'm now in Australia in a fantastic job, social work related but I'm still only on a working holiday visa so need to get everything sorted for AASW skills assessment.. and eventually the 189..
How did you get on with it? Have you heard back from them? If so, how long did it take?
Did you go for the skilled employment assessment?
I'm a little worried that my employment in a school as a safeguarding officer will not be classed as 'skilled' employment because I wasn't specifically there as a social worker..

If anyone has had an experience of getting a positive skilled employment assessment please let me know!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Karen1981
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has been through the skilled employment checks as part of the assessment? I have everything for my qualifications sorted but wondering about the employment section for more points for 189 visa. I've been working through an agency here in U.K. In SW roles and wondering how much detail is needed in checks as I've had a VERY high turn over of team leads etc. I'm considering putting job descriptions along with agency as references to verify dates etc but not sure this will be enough? Anyone been through the employment checks??
I'm struggling with this too! My old CP manager has moved onto a new job so I can't contact her to do the reference and I don't know where I world find the job description specific to the role 6 years ago! Ahhhhh!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sab.

Glad to hear you're working in Australia in a related job. You've done well to get that on a WHV and it sounds like great experience. Where abouts in Australia is your job and what's your plan from now?

I got a positive Skills Assessment back from AASW on 14th June which was a day or two before 20 weeks from submission. This was longer than they initially said but they did get in touch to say the processing times had increased. I've since completed the EOI (65 points), received an invitation to apply and lodged my 189 visa application on 29th June. Medicals are booked for 1st August and police checks will also be back then. Then it'll just be waiting for the grant (hopefully)! On current processing times we're hoping for a grant by Christmas.

I didn't go for the skilled employment assessment because:

A) I didn't need the additional points.
B) I have been employed for under 3 years as a social worker so wouldn't get the additional 5 points anyway.

This has meant that I haven't had to get references or evidence any employment up to now, although I have an option to upload some employment evidence documents which I might do as it won't do any harm and provides proof of my claims of employment in the visa application. I don't think I need to do this because I'm not claiming points though.

My understanding is that to claim skilled employment you need the additional AASW assessment (which I didn't get for the reasons outlined above).

You could see how many points you would get for your age and qualifications and then see if you could make up the extra points needed for a 189 by doing an English test...?

My breakdown is:

Age (31) - 30 points
Qualification - 15 points
Superior English (IELTS test) - 20 points

Total of 65 points.

The whole visa process from start to finish, including the Skills Assessment, could take almost a year with processing times so you might need to try and do things quickly if you're planning on applying for a 189. I have heard of social workers getting a Skills Assessment as a welfare worker which takes a lot shorter and may be the sort of role you are currently doing. I don't know much about that though or how employment works in that regard.

Hope this is helpful.

Jack.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jack, this is so helpful and reassuring! Thank you
I'm working for an intensive family support service- with an NGO. It's great experience as I'm having daily experience with child safety.

I am planning to do the skills assessment, Iv got my IQA form sorted. I'm a little worried about the info it asks for about placement because I no longer have contact details for the practice assessors.
I've been qualified as a social worker 6 years- 2 years in statutory CP but 4 years in a school as a safeguarding officer so I'm worried this won't count as skilled employment.
My points so far are:
Age (29)- 30 points
BA social worker- 15 points

I will sit the ENGLISH test- did you revise to get the superior points?
I need these points! I havnt booked it yet but will give myself plenty of time.

My WHV runs out in May 2018 so I'm hoping to get skills assessment and 189 sorted before then so I don't have to return home!
I think I can only get a bridging visa if Iv done the agricultural work which I havnt.

Did you get a migration expert or do it all yourself?
I know these can be quite expensive and wouldn't know where to start in finding one so im hoping to be able to get I think all done myself.

Do you do the medical/ police check after the 189 EOI has been submitted?

Are you currently in Aus?

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with the visa!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sab1769
Hi Jack, this is so helpful and reassuring! Thank you
I'm working for an intensive family support service- with an NGO. It's great experience as I'm having daily experience with child safety.

I am planning to do the skills assessment, Iv got my IQA form sorted. I'm a little worried about the info it asks for about placement because I no longer have contact details for the practice assessors.
I've been qualified as a social worker 6 years- 2 years in statutory CP but 4 years in a school as a safeguarding officer so I'm worried this won't count as skilled employment.
My points so far are:
Age (29)- 30 points
BA social worker- 15 points

I will sit the ENGLISH test- did you revise to get the superior points?
I need these points! I havnt booked it yet but will give myself plenty of time.

My WHV runs out in May 2018 so I'm hoping to get skills assessment and 189 sorted before then so I don't have to return home!
I think I can only get a bridging visa if Iv done the agricultural work which I havnt.

Did you get a migration expert or do it all yourself?
I know these can be quite expensive and wouldn't know where to start in finding one so im hoping to be able to get I think all done myself.

Are you currently in Aus?

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with the visa!
No problem. It's good to hear from someone currently in Australia and working in the sector.

I'm still in the UK at the moment. Myself and my wife are planning on leaving the UK in April 2018 and going travelling on the way to settle in Brisbane initially. I need to give 3 months notice at work and due to travelling won't be in Australia until mid-July 2018 - hence waiting until August to get police checks and medicals done (you typically get 1 year from the date of your medical or police check to travel to Australia and activate the visa).

Re: medical and police check - yes you get them after you have been invited to apply for the visa. You can get a police check any time but then as I said, it's only valid for a year. You can apparently get medical before application by doing something called 'My Health Declarations' on immiaccount but again it's only valid for a year. Most of the advice is to wait until you have applied and are asked for the info or apply and then get them once you've applied. However, I'm not sure about the rules for if you are already in Australia and you'd maybe need to research that.

The English test - I did revise for a few weeks leading up to it. It's more the technique you need to know than the test as such. It's achievable with some practice so you know what you're going into. That lasts for 3 years I believe. It's well worth doing for the points. From the info you have given there you would need to do it anyway to make the points up as you wouldn't have 60 points even if you had 6 years skilled experience assessed (you get 10 points for 5-7 years)? It seems from the info you've given that would be your first thing to pass the English test with a high enough mark for 20 points then you wouldn't need to worry about getting the skilled employment assessment from AASW.

I've done it all without an agent and it's been fairly straightforward just with a lot of research on the DIBP website and the forums/Facebook groups. I should stress that ours hasn't been approved yet though! And all I'm saying here is just based on my experience so far. Other people may have different experiences or advice and each case is different.

I think with your time frame you should just about have enough time to get it all done by May if you apply for the Skills Assessment ASAP (approx 5 months for Skills Assessment, 4/5 months 189 processing) but it could be tight! But you might be able to speed it up with already being there and by doing medicals or police checks ready for when you lodge the visa. That's known as front loading when you provide all information they need at time of lodging and some people on a shorter timescale do that. But you'd need to ask people who have about that.

Re: not knowing your practice educators names - maybe the university could help? Although I'm sure there would be a way around that if they can't if you contact AASW.

Feel free to ask any more questions anyway! And I'd be interested to know how you get on. Hopefully I've not made any massive errors in mine and it comes through to fit the time scale...!

Cheers.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points for you. Agricultural work has nothing to do with getting a Bridging Visa.
If you do the farm work for three months, you can then get a second year on the WHV.
The Bridging Visa is something you will get if you apply for your PR whilst still in Australia, on your WHV (either the first or second year).

I'm sure you are aware that you cannot work for one employer for the whole duration of your WHV?

\
Do not do the medical or police checks until your application has been submitted (not the EOI) and the case officer has requested them. They both have a 'life' of only 12 months so if you do them too soon you risk having to do them again.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A couple of points for you. Agricultural work has nothing to do with getting a Bridging Visa.
If you do the farm work for three months, you can then get a second year on the WHV.
The Bridging Visa is something you will get if you apply for your PR whilst still in Australia, on your WHV (either the first or second year).

I'm sure you are aware that you cannot work for one employer for the whole duration of your WHV?

Do not do the medical or police checks until your application has been submitted (not the EOI) and the case officer has requested them. They both have a 'life' of only 12 months so if you do them too soon you risk having to do them again.
Yes I thought that was the case re the agricultural work. I'm not sure why someone told me it was needed for a bridging visa!

Yes I'm aware thank you, I'm on a temp contract and it won't exceed 6 months.

Thank you for the advice
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:36 am
Just Joined

No problem. It's good to hear from someone currently in Australia and working in the sector.

I'm still in the UK at the moment. Myself and my wife are planning on leaving the UK in April 2018 and going travelling on the way to settle in Brisbane initially. I need to give 3 months notice at work and due to travelling won't be in Australia until mid-July 2018 - hence waiting until August to get police checks and medicals done (you typically get 1 year from the date of your medical or police check to travel to Australia and activate the visa).

Re: medical and police check - yes you get them after you have been invited to apply for the visa. You can get a police check any time but then as I said, it's only valid for a year. You can apparently get medical before application by doing something called 'My Health Declarations' on immiaccount but again it's only valid for a year. Most of the advice is to wait until you have applied and are asked for the info or apply and then get them once you've applied. However, I'm not sure about the rules for if you are already in Australia and you'd maybe need to research that.

The English test - I did revise for a few weeks leading up to it. It's more the technique you need to know than the test as such. It's achievable with some practice so you know what you're going into. That lasts for 3 years I believe. It's well worth doing for the points. From the info you have given there you would need to do it anyway to make the points up as you wouldn't have 60 points even if you had 6 years skilled experience assessed (you get 10 points for 5-7 years)? It seems from the info you've given that would be your first thing to pass the English test with a high enough mark for 20 points then you wouldn't need to worry about getting the skilled employment assessment from AASW.

I've done it all without an agent and it's been fairly straightforward just with a lot of research on the DIBP website and the forums/Facebook groups. I should stress that ours hasn't been approved yet though! And all I'm saying here is just based on my experience so far. Other people may have different experiences or advice and each case is different.

I think with your time frame you should just about have enough time to get it all done by May if you apply for the Skills Assessment ASAP (approx 5 months for Skills Assessment, 4/5 months 189 processing) but it could be tight! But you might be able to speed it up with already being there and by doing medicals or police checks ready for when you lodge the visa. That's known as front loading when you provide all information they need at time of lodging and some people on a shorter timescale do that. But you'd need to ask people who have about that.

Re: not knowing your practice educators names - maybe the university could help? Although I'm sure there would be a way around that if they can't if you contact AASW.

Feel free to ask any more questions anyway! And I'd be interested to know how you get on. Hopefully I've not made any massive errors in mine and it comes through to fit the time scale...!

Cheers.
Yes you definitely need to travel first! There's so much to see!
Brisbane is a great place to live, right next to the Gold Coast (that's where I am)
There are always things to do, amazing places to see and beaches everywhere!
You will love it! Moving here was the best decision I made.. I just need to work on being able to stay!

Il give myself a good few weeks for the English test.. if I can get the 20 points for that and the 10 for skilled employment I'll be fine..

Good luck and thanks!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

jim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jacko,

My partner is a social worker, she will be 3 years post university come May 2018 and we intend to apply for permanent residence through her skill.

I'm confused re the aasw, does she need the 3 years post qualifying or can we apply now for a skills assessment to get the ball rolling on the p.r visa?.

Once we get there she doesn't necessarily have to get a job straight away as I will be transferring to the police (they won't sponsor me hence going on her skill).

Cheers,

James
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jim2001
Hi Jacko,

My partner is a social worker, she will be 3 years post university come May 2018 and we intend to apply for permanent residence through her skill.

I'm confused re the aasw, does she need the 3 years post qualifying or can we apply now for a skills assessment to get the ball rolling on the p.r visa?.

Once we get there she doesn't necessarily have to get a job straight away as I will be transferring to the police (they won't sponsor me hence going on her skill).

Cheers,

James
Hi James.

The AASW offer three assessments:

1. Skilled Migration skills assessment (the main one)
2. Eligibility for AASW membership assessment (free with the first assessment - useful for employment purposes in Australia)
3. Skilled employment assessment (additional cost)

To get a positive skills assessment for skilled migration you don't need any post-qualifying experience. It's purely a case of looking at your qualifications and assesssing whether or not they compare to Australian social work training.

If you want to get additional visa points by getting skilled employment assessed then you (your partner) would need assessment number 3 as well as number 1. That's a case of evidencing work experience, getting references etc. AASW will then advise how long the period of skilled employment is.

So in answer to your question - yes you can send the skills assessment now unless you are relying on 5 extra points for skilled employment to reach the 60 points needed for an invitation. I'd recommend gathering the documents and sending for the assessment ASAP because it took mine 5 months to be assessed by AASW! And that was just for assessments 1 and 2.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.