Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Social activities - discuss

Social activities - discuss

Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:12 am
Badge

Default Re: Social activities - discuss

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Can you fly, or were you with someone that can? I keep trying to convince the blokey to take his refresher course, but the expense puts him off. He started to learn about 15 years ago, a lot cheaper then I'm told!
Flying is something else that people do more over here I think. I only know a handful of people, but thats a handful more than the UK

No I cannot fly...on my own...its not allowed as I haven't finished...need money, which I ran out of, in Sydney. The good thing is, i have mates who can, so we all clubbed together and hired 2 planes ...we actually had a great time flying around WA...and since noone was looking, got a bit in anyway!!

Money is the bane of all pilots it seems..

Badge

Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
For all you boaties how much do you pay in maintenance a year? Engines need servicing, bottoms defouling and there is general wear and tear.
Antifoul costs around $2-3K/year, service about $500 (we have 2 inboard engines & only do that about once a year as we dont do a lot of hours), general maintenance probably another $500 or so (depends on what needs to be replaced).

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But remember yours is a bigger boat than average !! I think the average size boat is more like that one you hang of the back end of your boat isn't ?
LOL yeah ok, ours isnt your typical boat, & yes, our tender is the size of some peoples boat. Thats why I made the comment that if you have a smaller boat its much more affordable .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:05 am
Badge

ahhh..now I'm getting the terminology.

It's a tender I'm after; the sort of thing you could hang off the Dagboys' boat.

Badge

Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
ahhh..now I'm getting the terminology.

It's a tender I'm after; the sort of thing you could hang off the Dagboys' boat.

Badge
Maybe also called a dingy?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:57 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simone
Maybe also called a dingy?
Ah the perils of English spelling... dingy it might be in colour, but by name it's a dinghy.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Ah the perils of English spelling... dingy it might be in colour, but by name it's a dinghy.
Of course, thank you. It did look a bit strange...

Now, what do I do in the weekends here:
Very, very sometimes go to the beach (not water people)
Often lounging around at home, clothes shopping, grocery shopping after a long week working.
Sometimes friends of ours come up from Bunbury and we hang out with them, or we go down south. We've been to few festivals in the south west. And 4WDing an and attempt at camping once(will try again soon).

Every so often we have an expats meetup bbq, or a party at someone's house, or a night out with the girls.

We go to the movies maybe once every 2 months.

Rest of the time( a lot!) I'm on this b&$^# forum and other websites, or watching tv, or reading.

Nothing much has changes, we were never really very active. Only reason we're out and about more here, is we have friends that organise stuff, or invite us for stuff, and we're still exploring the area(well, it's mostly me showing Pascal everything from when I grew up here )
Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:29 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
For all you boaties how much do you pay in maintenance a year? ..., bottoms defouling....
I cannot even begin to guess how much it would cost to make my bottom less foul :scared:
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No I cannot fly...on my own...its not allowed as I haven't finished...need money, which I ran out of, in Sydney. The good thing is, i have mates who can, so we all clubbed together and hired 2 planes ...we actually had a great time flying around WA...and since noone was looking, got a bit in anyway!!

Money is the bane of all pilots it seems..

Badge
Too right Badge; I'd love to convert my licence to an Aussie one and get flying again, but just haven't got the cash. The flying here is much cheaper, but as with other things, once you're earning $ not £ its all relative.
Never mind, maybe one day......
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:38 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Money is the bane of all pilots it seems.. Badge
Hear, hear ... *sighhhhhhh*

Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:42 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Eating costs anywhere, if you take an esky as your lunch, there is no limit to the things you can do for free with the kids.

BM
... esky sandwiches, esky hot dogs, esky rolls with sauce, crumbed esky with salad, battered esky with chips, barbequed esky, cold roast esky, etc!!!

Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:06 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProofReader
... esky sandwiches, esky hot dogs, esky rolls with sauce, crumbed esky with salad, battered esky with chips, barbequed esky, cold roast esky, etc!!!

What abouts sports - both participating and watching? Anyone get to see the rugger, Aussie Rules, Soccer, Tennis, Cricket, etc?

You may have all heard that English Cricket is once again the greatest ever!! Those Ashes, will I'm sure, be coming back to the UK shores this Summer!

Rob
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by samnrob2
What abouts sports - both participating and watching? Anyone get to see the rugger, Aussie Rules, Soccer, Tennis, Cricket, etc?

You may have all heard that English Cricket is once again the greatest ever!! Those Ashes, will I'm sure, be coming back to the UK shores this Summer!

Rob

Only seen the rugby during the world cup. Usually see a few AFL games a year (plus the QLD State league every Saturday!). Plenty of cricket to watch at the Gabba if I wanted to go
Play Touch Footy, used to play indoor netball.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

warbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the rough

How's the camping over there? I would have thought you'd spend most of the night wondering what's snuggling up inside the tent with you , or have I just seen too much of Steve Irwin wrestling with snakes.......
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warbs4
How's the camping over there? I would have thought you'd spend most of the night wondering what's snuggling up inside the tent with you , or have I just seen too much of Steve Irwin wrestling with snakes.......
Your imagination has got the better of you .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:26 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Us brits keep harping on about going to Oz for the better lifestyle, etc. Can those who are in Oz / have been to Oz comment on what exactly they do get to do out there that they don't here?

I imagine myself taking up surfing when I get to Brissy and would love to start scuba diving, etc - but am I just dreaming? - how easy have people found it to take up new social activities?

I'd be interested to hear (in as much detail/approx. costs) what things ppl have turned to thanks to 'the better lifestyle and weather'.

Cheers,

Rob
Great thing about Perth in summer is the number of free things one can do at the weekend. Many of the town councils have a 'concert in the park' series on Sunday nights, where one can take a blanket, a picnic and hear a variety of music. Perth International Arts Festival (www.perthfestival.com.au) is TRULY international, with a wide range of artists - and films - brought from overseas and covers every artistic pursuit you can think of.
And when all else fails, you can find a sidewalk cafe and sit and people-watch till around 11 pm.