Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Social activities - discuss

Social activities - discuss

Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:27 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Social activities - discuss

Originally Posted by mlbonner
LOL - nope, its a one-day course to get your boat licence. You never have to renew it
Phew!!!! I knew boating was supposed to be a millionaire's sport but I was a bit worried there for a minute... and as for making it more like learning to drive a car, yes, a proper examination would be a damn good idea!

When I asked about licensing though, I meant rego, not a licence for the helmsman. Roughly how much?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:30 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Phew!!!! I knew boating was supposed to be a millionaire's sport but I was a bit worried there for a minute... and as for making it more like learning to drive a car, yes, a proper examination would be a damn good idea!

When I asked about licensing though, I meant rego, not a licence for the helmsman. Roughly how much?
Not for me, I'm doing mine on Sunday and quite happy it'll all be done in 8 hours!!

Okay, sorry, rego for our boat is about $250. Don't know how they work it out though, if it goes by size or anything.

Here you are, details for QLD;
boat rego
trailer rego
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:31 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by Badge
saves hassle when tipsy of dealing with a tiller
I can say from long UK experience on narrow boats that tillers are no problem when tipsy. In fact one might say they're easier, as your left-brain stops worrying about it being "the wrong way"!
This is where the drive-through garages come in handy.
Indeed, I've always presumed that's exactly why they're so common here.

(Sniff, I miss narrow boats. Well, canals in general.)
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:32 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Okay, sorry, rego for our boat is about $250.
Per year I presume?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:32 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Per year I presume?

Yep, sorry. Looks the same as car rego, just stick it on to the boat/trailer
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Boat rego for us (no trailer) is about $130/year. Moorings cost around $3000/year. Costs $600 to fill it (luckily we dont use that everytime we go out LOL).
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:53 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Boat rego for us (no trailer) is about $130/year. Moorings cost around $3000/year. Costs $600 to fill it (luckily we dont use that everytime we go out LOL).
If memory serves, I recall helping MrsD/ watching (more likely lol) Mrs D fill theirs from the fuel bowser on the dock. The dollar meter was whizzing around a fair bit.

Mooring - ouch.

Badge

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Us brits keep harping on about going to Oz for the better lifestyle, etc. Can those who are in Oz / have been to Oz comment on what exactly they do get to do out there that they don't here?

I imagine myself taking up surfing when I get to Brissy and would love to start scuba diving, etc - but am I just dreaming? - how easy have people found it to take up new social activities?

I'd be interested to hear (in as much detail/approx. costs) what things ppl have turned to thanks to 'the better lifestyle and weather'.

Cheers,

Rob
If you are the type to get off your arse in a British summer then you will have no probs or shortage of opportunities. I have taken up surfing and got myself an open water dive license.

For all you boaties how much do you pay in maintenance a year? Engines need servicing, bottoms defouling and there is general wear and tear.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:30 am
part-time Visa Angel!

If memory serves, I recall helping MrsD/ watching (more likely lol) Mrs D fill theirs from the fuel bowser on the dock. The dollar meter was whizzing around a fair bit.

Mooring - ouch.

Badge

You want to try refueling an aircraft with aviation fuel; my partner had his licence, and there the dollar meter really whizzes around
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you are the type to get off your arse in a British summer then you will have no probs or shortage of opportunities. I have taken up surfing and got myself an open water dive license.

For all you boaties how much do you pay in maintenance a year? Engines need servicing, bottoms defouling and there is general wear and tear.

Our boat is only 15months old, so there hasn't been too much to do on it. It had a "free" service after so many hours. I'm not sure when its due for its next one or how much that would cost. As we don't keep ours in water and always run water through the engine & clean the whole boat after saltwater use it should be in pretty good condition.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

HUP has got his dive licence, though Mrs D B has covered why he doesn't go as much as he'd like

We are renovating so we spend the w/e's one day flat chat on that and another on a day out. Where we live we can do just about anything really. Bushwalking, walking in the Dandenong rainforests, beaching, city life (includes footie, roll on the 20th of feb), snow in the winter, wildlife parks barbe que tea at a national park (we have heaps roud here) A favorite for my kids is opening our back gate, going to the reserve, chucking the dogs in the creek, rescuing said dogs, coming home and throwing themselves into the pool!! Theres really tons of stuff and we are never at a loss for anything to do
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:47 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
HUP has got his dive licence, though Mrs D B has covered why he doesn't go as much as he'd like

We are renovating so we spend the w/e's one day flat chat on that and another on a day out. Where we live we can do just about anything really. Bushwalking, walking in the Dandenong rainforests, beaching, city life (includes footie, roll on the 20th of feb), snow in the winter, wildlife parks barbe que tea at a national park (we have heaps roud here) A favorite for my kids is opening our back gate, going to the reserve, chucking the dogs in the creek, rescuing said dogs, coming home and throwing themselves into the pool!! Theres really tons of stuff and we are never at a loss for anything to do
The wizard starts on the 20th does it, Hevs? good stuff.

Bondi, anti-fouling is interesting. I remember doing it before we all sailed across the Atlantic once. What an easy sail it turned out to be. Easy until the last bit when we broke our rudder...near Barbados.

mlbonner, know what you mean about the avgas. We refueled our plane at Geraldton, and after working out the lock system on the pump - it was Christmas Eve - it was bloody expensive. 40 litres/gallons consumption an hour - can't remember - how embarassing.

Badge

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The wizard starts on the 20th does it, Hevs? good stuff.
The 18th, but our first match is against Carlton on sunday the 20th at 5pm
Bondi, anti-fouling is interesting.
Hmmm riveting are we talking corks up dogs bums or footie here
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:57 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner, know what you mean about the avgas. We refueled our plane at Geraldton, and after working out the lock system on the pump - it was Christmas Eve - it was bloody expensive. 40 litres/gallons consumption an hour - can't remember - how embarassing.

Badge
Can you fly, or were you with someone that can? I keep trying to convince the blokey to take his refresher course, but the expense puts him off. He started to learn about 15 years ago, a lot cheaper then I'm told!
Flying is something else that people do more over here I think. I only know a handful of people, but thats a handful more than the UK
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
But remember yours is a bigger boat than average !! I think the average size boat is more like that one you hang of the back end of your boat isn't ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.