Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Social activities - discuss

Social activities - discuss

Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:47 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Social activities - discuss

Us brits keep harping on about going to Oz for the better lifestyle, etc. Can those who are in Oz / have been to Oz comment on what exactly they do get to do out there that they don't here?

I imagine myself taking up surfing when I get to Brissy and would love to start scuba diving, etc - but am I just dreaming? - how easy have people found it to take up new social activities?

I'd be interested to hear (in as much detail/approx. costs) what things ppl have turned to thanks to 'the better lifestyle and weather'.

Cheers,

Rob
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Social activities - discuss

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Us brits keep harping on about going to Oz for the better lifestyle, etc. Can those who are in Oz / have been to Oz comment on what exactly they do get to do out there that they don't here?

I imagine myself taking up surfing when I get to Brissy and would love to start scuba diving, etc - but am I just dreaming? - how easy have people found it to take up new social activities?

I'd be interested to hear (in as much detail/approx. costs) what things ppl have turned to thanks to 'the better lifestyle and weather'.

Cheers,

Rob
I would think bbq,s would be a change, unless your lucky enough to be able to do them in the two weeks of summer that we get in the uk, (i know two weeks might be pushing it)...... the scuba diving was some thing i,ve been looking into, was thinking of doing a course in the uk just to get a start on it , the only set back is on the course you have to do a dive in a old quarry in leicestershire which worrys me as i can remember that several people have died in the last few years at this site. you could always do the simple things that don,t cost any thing like walks on the beach.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2

Cheers,

Rob
We tend to spend time on our boat, we often go away for the weekend on it or go camping on South Stradbroke Island (only accessible by boat). I wont go into costs as owning our boat isnt cheap , but if you owned a small boat you could do similar things for peanuts.

Add to that the beach, fishing & it makes a relaxing way to spend a weekend .

And before anyone says you could own a boat in the UK, Dagboys parents own one over there & we have been out on it - its not quite the same .

Ditto the camping - sorry, but camping in the rain isnt my idea of enjoyment :scared: .

On the other hand, Dagboy always wanted to do some more scuba diving, but after being here coming up to 4 years he's yet to go diving apart from one dive in Fiji on our honeymoon. However the main reason for him not having done it is the fact that its a very "solitary" pursuit not really suited to family participation & he's always too busy doing other things that are family oriented. If he really wanted to go diving he could - he just chooses not to.

I think it really does depend on the individual - dreams are fine, but even if given the opportunity some people still wont fulfil them for various reasons.

(PS. I hope you dont expect to surf in Brisbane, you'll be bitterly disappointed in the beaches here )
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:35 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Similar to MrsDB we often go out on our boat, over to Moreton Island for us. Just for the day or an overnighter. - cost, whatever you take to eat, bait if you're fishing and fuel for the boat (probably about $30 for this trip)

We also go waterskiing in the dams and rivers, and have a 3 person tube, which is great fun to sit in and go for a ride :scared: - cost, as above.

I got my dive licence just over a year ago, I don't go as much as I'd like. Mainly because to buy the gear is quite expensive and to hire it can be a bit of a pain. cost, as much as you want to spend to buy the gear. I did a liveaboard course, which was $500, this included food. A day trip, including comnplete hire and say 3-4 dives is about $140

I play Touch Footy, and used to play league indoor netball - cost, both were about $70 a season.

I'm not big on the fishing thing, but my partner does that quite a lot. - cost, fishing equip, as much as you want to spend really!

We go camping for weekends away - cost, food costs, then for a camping permit it can be free to about $20 a night if you're on a serviced site

We go for walks along the pier - free!

Lots of barbies, usually with fresh fish/seafood - cost, depends on how many you're cooking for, say $10 a head (I just made that figure up, could be wrong )

and then I do things that I did in the UK too, like going the gym ($400pa) the cinema ($14 a trip), out for dinner ($20-$50pp) etc.... its just nice to be able to do all these things without a coat

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 18th 2005 at 11:41 pm. Reason: to add costs
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Michelle, forgot to add things like walking along the beach or forshore at Wynnum, eating fish & chips on the beach or in a park, BBQs on the verandah at home, taking the kids to the playground for the afternoon or just being able to sit in the backyard in the afternoon with a drink & relaxing.

Yep, can probably do all those things in the UK, but here its warm & dry when you do it & actually enjoyable .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:57 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Good point Michelle, forgot to add things like walking along the beach or forshore at Wynnum, eating fish & chips on the beach or in a park, BBQs on the verandah at home, taking the kids to the playground for the afternoon or just being able to sit in the backyard in the afternoon with a drink & relaxing.

Yep, can probably do all those things in the UK, but here its warm & dry when you do it & actually enjoyable .
careful MrsD. This thread is getting too positive. I'd like to get a boat eventually, even if its a bloody inflatable I've spotted in Ray's Outdoors the other day. Your boat is grouse. (You know, I don't think I even rang afterwards to say thanks I was so busy job hunting in the bleak city.)

Lifestyle changes: rugby training is enjoyable, you can run down the pitch on a fairly hard ground without losing your boot to mud halfway down. '

I am as outdoorsy here as ever. But it's also great having a lifestyle AT HOME ie. in your OWN back yard/paddock.

Many things are free, or reasonable to do. Eating costs anywhere, if you take an esky as your lunch, there is no limit to the things you can do for free with the kids.

BM

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Badge
careful MrsD. This thread is getting too positive. I'd like to get a boat eventually, even if its a bloody inflatable I've spotted in Ray's Outdoors the other day. Your boat is grouse. (You know, I don't think I even rang afterwards to say thanks I was so busy job hunting in the bleak city.)
Sorry Badge, got carried away .

Glad you liked the day out (apart from the speedo comp LOL ), like I said a small boat is quite affordable, you'll get one one day

BTW, if you are feeling rich ours is on the market .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

BTW, if you are feeling rich ours is on the market .

Really? Coz we are looking to upgrade, and by the sounds of it yours is bigger than what we have the moment
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Really? Coz we are looking to upgrade, and by the sounds of it yours is bigger than what we have the moment
I cant remember exactly what you have, but Im pretty sure ours is bigger .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:57 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

I'm with Badge, one day I'll own a boat. But I have no idea how much they are. Small/large, powered/sail, new/old... then there are the running costs, maintenance, licensing... MrsD, mlbonner, throw some vague figures into the pot could you? Ta.

This boat ownership thing is very relevant to Rob's original query because a much larger proportion of people here live near the coast than in the UK. Especially the expats!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:57 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I cant remember what you have, but Im pretty sure ours would be bigger (31 foot) .

Yep, not sure exactly, but I think ours is around 20 feet.
Partners BIL is buying a skiboat at the moment, so my partner no longer needs something you can ski behind, so is looking for a more 'comfy' boat I think.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:04 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
I'm with Badge, one day I'll own a boat. But I have no idea how much they are. Small/large, powered/sail, new/old... then there are the running costs, maintenance, licensing... MrsD, mlbonner, throw some vague figures into the pot could you? Ta.

This boat ownership thing is very relevant to Rob's original query because a much larger proportion of people here live near the coast than in the UK. Especially the expats!
Our boat is about 20feet, standard plus it had a larger engine/some fishing/skiing bits added, then you have a trailer on top of this. Previous to this we has a sail boat, so were unsure how we'd go with the motor - we use it far more though, and now we no longer need it to ski with are looking to upgrade. Was a great starter though, make sure you're doing something you like before getting a yacht!

Boat licence's are $130, one day event. Though there is talk of changing it more to a road licence.

Costs almost $100 to fill the tank, but that'll last you a fair few hours of boating. You have to pay rego on the boat, and I believe the trailer. We store ours at in-laws, so no cost there. Of course, if your car isn't already set for it, you need a tow-bar, or for a really big boat/dirt ramp a 4x4 car!

Little things then like; GPS, deck covers, kid lifejackets, ski jackets (about $80-$120 each), flares, the bar-crossing device (forgotten its name!).

tradingpost is a good place to look for some secondhand ones

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 19th 2005 at 2:08 am.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:16 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Boat licence's are $130, one day event.
I'm sorry, do you mean it costs $130 every time you want to take it out?!!! That's ludicrous. Yikes, I think I'll stick to the land.

Thanks though!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:18 am
Badge

I like the way this thread is developing.

I'd be happy with a dinghy, (Swallows and Amazons style) need only be low enough to piss over the side, ie. most if not all, a sun awning, a decent outboard motor, maybe with a steering wheel - saves hassle when tipsy of dealing with a tiller - and space for an esky and a passenger or two.

This is where the drive-through garages come in handy.

Badge

Did anyone see Aussie Adventures on Sunday night. They were all in a small boat. Very funny.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:23 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
I'm sorry, do you mean it costs $130 every time you want to take it out?!!! That's ludicrous. Yikes, I think I'll stick to the land.

Thanks though!
LOL - nope, its a one-day course to get your boat licence. You never have to renew it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.