Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Soccer in Brisbane

Soccer in Brisbane

Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:12 pm
stevenpoole9

Default Soccer in Brisbane

We are going to Brissie on Jan 25th for 3 weeks, and I wondered what is the local soccer team and when will they be playing? It's become a tradition now , that whenever we go anywhere on Holiday I try to take in a local game (the wife thinks I'm sad, but all my mates think it's cool) I've seen all types of teams play in Europe and a couple in the States.
What sort of numbers do they get and what is the admission fee?
A link would be good too, TA.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Soccer in Brisbane

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
We are going to Brissie on Jan 25th for 3 weeks, and I wondered what is the local soccer team and when will they be playing? It's become a tradition now , that whenever we go anywhere on Holiday I try to take in a local game (the wife thinks I'm sad, but all my mates think it's cool) I've seen all types of teams play in Europe and a couple in the States.
hi, i'm sure the team is called Queensland Roar just do a search on google as i'm sure they have a website. if you go and watch them let us know if they were any good. selina
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Soccer Queensland - http://www.soccerqueensland.com.au

Redlands Soccer Club - http://www.redlandsunited.com.au

Brisbanes Mens Soccer - http://www.brisbanemenssoccer.com.au

Brisbane Womens Soccer - http://www.brisbanewomenssoccer.org/

Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steven

I've been to see the 'Roar' on several occasions now, the standard is pretty good, not quite Champions league but i'm sure they would do ok in the English 2nd Div.

They had the best defensive record in the 'A' league, but just cant seem to put the ball in the net. If they had a few decent goal getters they would have been up there with Adelaide i'm sure, not near the bottom as they are.

The attendances have ranged from 20,000 (1st game of the season) to about 8,000 to 10,000 on a regular basis.

You'll be able to catch the game on the 4th of Feb against Central coast, last game of the season, 7.00 pm kick off.

Admission is $25 and for that you get into the game and free public transport to and from the stadium, great value!!

Enjoy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:14 am
stevenpoole9

Thanks for all the information. I'll see if I can get there for the game.

Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi Steven

I've been to see the 'Roar' on several occasions now, the standard is pretty good, not quite Champions league but i'm sure they would do ok in the English 2nd Div.

They had the best defensive record in the 'A' league, but just cant seem to put the ball in the net. If they had a few decent goal getters they would have been up there with Adelaide i'm sure, not near the bottom as they are.

The attendances have ranged from 20,000 (1st game of the season) to about 8,000 to 10,000 on a regular basis.

You'll be able to catch the game on the 4th of Feb against Central coast, last game of the season, 7.00 pm kick off.

Admission is $25 and for that you get into the game and <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=free&v=55">free</a> public transport to and from the stadium, great value!!

Enjoy
hi billnlinz, just wondered if soccer/football was growing in Oz. are there many local teams over there? my son (17) plays competetive football here to a high standard and will be looking for a team to play for when he gets over there. mind you if Queensland Roar need a decent striker he could be there man as he can certainly bang them in! selina
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by selina
hi billnlinz, just wondered if soccer/football was growing in Oz. are there many local teams over there? my son (17) plays competetive football here to a high standard and will be looking for a team to play for when he gets over there. mind you if Queensland Roar need a decent striker he could be there man as he can certainly bang them in! selina
First things first don't call it soccer. With the Aussies getting to the world cup interest has certainly grown quite a bit. There are plenty of football teams that play and you find that a lot of youngsters play. I'm playing my first game ( over 35's ) on Monday playing for a South African team as a bloke at work plays for them and asked me to come along and play for them. So i probably won't be able to walk on Tuesday.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:29 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
First things first don't call it soccer....
Why not? That is what it is called over here

Unless you don't want the locals to know what you are talking about. If you ask a local about going to see the football you will find yourself at a Broncos' match.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Unless you don't want the locals to know what you are talking about. If you ask a local about going to see the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=football&v=55">football</a> you will find yourself at a Broncos' match.

Cheers,

DagBoy
hi dagboy, thats what i thought and thats why i said soccer and not football to avoid confusion. mind you the 'soccer queensland ' have just renamed themselves as 'football queensland' so that is going to confuse people even more! selina.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by selina

I had a coversation with an Aussie guy the other week about 'soccer' and youths, as it is very popular with younger schoolkids, they play 'soccer' here at a young age as it is less of a contact sport compared to 'football' and rugby league or union.

Once they get a bit older the other 'codes' are pushed on them.

Hopefully with the World Cup success 'real' football will become more acceptable to this 'macho' society.

in football

Bill
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Unless you don't want the locals to know what you are talking about. If you ask a local about going to see the football you will find yourself at a Broncos' match.

Cheers,

DagBoy
When they know your a pom they know when you say football you mean football. If you watch the sports reports now they are starting to call it football all the time and the fact that the game is called football helps.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Soccer Queensland - http://www.soccerqueensland.com.au

Redlands Soccer Club - http://www.redlandsunited.com.au

Brisbanes Mens Soccer - http://www.brisbanemenssoccer.com.au

Brisbane Womens Soccer - http://www.brisbanewomenssoccer.org/
Thanks for this info. I have just emailed the Brisbane Womens soccer to see if my daughter can join. She is a footballer here and I think it will help her mix and settle there.
Lesleym
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karenjc
When they know your a pom they know when you say football you mean football. If you watch the sports reports now they are starting to call it football all the time and the fact that the game is called football helps.
Its called football because its a ball thats kicked using your foot. Rugby on the other hand was a game invented by William Webb Ellis at Rugby school in England, when he picked up the football and ran with it in his hands.

So why do the Aussies call rugby football, and football soccer?? Where did the word soccer come from?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:44 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Probably changed by the bloody Americans....

Originally Posted by paulb
Its called football because its a ball thats kicked using your foot. Rugby on the other hand was a game invented by William Webb Ellis at Rugby school in England, when he picked up the football and ran with it in his hands.

So why do the Aussies call rugby football, and football soccer?? Where did the word soccer come from?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Someone once told me that it comes from the word association ie football association, but still don't get it