Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Australia is not in Asia. Nor is it in Europe and it is definitely not the UK with better weather.

We love it and for us it was worth it. But I have a very niche field, and what I do is not possible right now in Europe or the US (though I could do other things there). I also made three trips beforehand just to sort out the work situation.

Focus on, why are you looking to make the move? If you are tired of a desk job in London and want to escape the city . . . and then take a desk job in Sydney . . . you aren't going to find that very fulfilling.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yes most people precede Sydney with "nice place" when they can't stay.
I still say Sydney is a great place, I just haven't been there long enough to decide otherwise, that's all.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yes most people precede Sydney with "nice place" when they can't stay.
Eh? I've lived in Sydney and don't really like the place. I know you like Sydney but much of the rest of Australia doesn't - if they didn't everyone would be living in Sydney and it would be the size of Tokyo!

Some perspective
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Same here. Not sure of the fuss. If you want lifestyle NZ could be nicer, or countryside, Tasmania.

So far away and remote, be really sure it is what you want before you go.

If you do, good luck! 🙂
Last I looked, Tassie was an Australian State. When did they gain independence?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

15 years ago, Sydney was one of my favourite cities in the world. Now, I find it dodgy, and increasingly so every time I go back (just my personal opinion!).

Last time I was there (a few months ago) I saw two girls openly shooting up on one of the footpaths by the train station.

Not my life. If Xizzles wants to go there, more power to him/her.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
15 years ago, Sydney was one of my favourite cities in the world. Now, I find it dodgy, and increasingly so every time I go back (just my personal opinion!).

Last time I was there (a few months ago) I saw two girls openly shooting up on one of the footpaths by the train station.

Not my life. If Xizzles wants to go there, more power to him/her.
Ha ha. Yeah right. Nice try. No one takes heroin anymore.

Cocaine for the eastern suburbs. Ice for the west. And you don't "Shoot up" that shit.

Lol
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha. Indeed. I am sure I misjudged and it was just their insulin!

On a serious note - I live in the regions and people find and post to our Crime Watch page, at least once every few weeks, photos of syringes that junkies have just tossed onto sidewalks, etc. Scary stuff.

The drug epidemic is frightening in the regions and I am not sure anyone has any idea what to do about it, or if the politicians even recognise how serious the problem has become.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let me just add to that - to get back to the original question - yes, definitely, still worth it to come here.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a long time weighing up whether or not to make the move. In the end we took the plunge and have never looked back. I earn more money and the sunshine makes me feel happy.
The only downside for me is missing family and friends.
I moved to a regional city with beautiful beaches and vineyards on the doorstep.
I love visiting Sydney but would not contemplate living there unless I had a lot of money or I was in my twenties and house sharing near the beach.

You won't know unless you try 😊
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

1. What was your profession and seniority when you arrived in Australia?

Me - trailing spouse, had done some freelance and voluntary work for 6 years, having been a fairly senior IT Project Manager (client side) before that.

Him - IT (vendor side), senior management.

(Guess how we met.)

2. Where did you come from and which city did you settle in Australia?

Singapore, ex-UK. Sydney.

3. How long did it take for you to secure a job in your field and was your first/2nd/3rd job and salary in line your skill level?

I didn't look for a year or so, then got one remarkably quickly, in a very different field. (First interview. Never did get to wear that new suit.) Chose something to get me out of bed on a morning, not pay the bills (very lucky to be in that situation I know). It was laughably junior but got me into a new sector, I showed a willing and was soon taking on more responsibility.

He relocated with his employer so just stayed on the same path.

4. If the job in your early days wasn't ideal, did you eventually find a job that commensurate with your level and experience? If yes, how long did it take?

Similar level I guess but very different role (Company Secretary, NFP sector).

5. And lastly, was it worth it for yourself/family, after all the sweat/tears? Did Australia live up to your dreams, and is it indeed the better life you had hoped for yourself and family?

Have to be real here, no sweat or tears on a sponsored relocation, for which I am very thankful. Were we looking for a better life - not sure, we were really just looking to see more of each other. But it was a big decision to move on, not taken lightly. We love Sydney, we live fairly central (never seen anyone shooting up) and we do have a good life. I have more opportunities here than Singapore. We're not beach babes, we spend most of our leisure time eating good food and going to the theatre/concerts. (We're 40s and 50s, no family, just cats.)

BTW we came on a 457 - oooh, topical. It was a means to an end, got us here quickly, low risk and soon converted to PR. Been citizens for um 4 or 5 years, can't recall.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't be spending any blood, sweat or tears to move to essentially what is just another first world country. If you've got it good where you are now, only move for something much better that you would give your eye teeth to achieve. Imho ( and having lived there for over 30 years) Australia is much overrated. Is nothing like Home & Away; Makes you work just as hard for your living; Is on the other side of the world from family; is just another first world country with all that entails.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Personally I wouldn't be spending any blood, sweat or tears to move to essentially what is just another first world country. If you've got it good where you are now, only move for something much better that you would give your eye teeth to achieve. Imho ( and having lived there for over 30 years) Australia is much overrated. Is nothing like Home & Away; Makes you work just as hard for your living; Is on the other side of the world from family; is just another first world country with all that entails.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
You say that as though Home & Away is aspirational.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You say that as though Home & Away is aspirational.
No idea, never seen it.

If we'd had the "ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude we'd never have left the UK, and that would have been a shame as we've had a great 15 years and hopefully more to come. Sydney was low risk but Singapore certainly wasn't.

Would we have gone for it with kids and no job lined up (for one of us at least)? Probably not.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Kooky.
No idea, never seen it.

If we'd had the "ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude we'd never have left the UK, and that would have been a shame as we've had a great 15 years and hopefully more to come. Sydney was low risk but Singapore certainly wasn't.

Would we have gone for it with kids and no job lined up (for one of us at least)? Probably not.
And you would never have met me! Can you imagine!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And you would never have met me! Can you imagine!
Even worse, she would never have met me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.