Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So, why are you going?

Wikiposts

So, why are you going?

Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, why are you going?

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
just fancied a change, and why not!!!

Lisa.xx

same here and because we want to do something different with our lives.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
close-stalybridge but been a latics fan since age 14...
Well someone has too. lol. They are good for taking the kids to as they get the tickets free from school. It was great taking them to latics then to united. The wow factor was superb to see on their faces at the comparison.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:31 am
MOM
Forum Regular

MOM will become famous soon enough

We went over last June to visit a friend in Perth and absolutely loved it.
Everything works! I felt truly safe for the first time. How home should be!
I loved how family orientated things were.
Went over again - this time Sydney and the Reef. Amazing!
They locals were very helpful and do a wonderful job of promoting their country.
We are from South Africa and if all goes well we will settle in Perth in 2006.
Sorry Hutch! Adding to the number of SAcans ...
Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Pencil
Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil
We want to try another way of living. Not necessarily better but different with different opportunities and new expereinces. There are lots I will miss about being here, family especially but this is something that we have always wanted and we must give it a go. When we visited Brisbane, among other places, it was the one area that felt 'right'. If we were able we would have shipped all our things there and then. I felt 'homesick' for months after when we came back to the UK.

One life and we want to live it!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

bainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant futurebainser has a brilliant future

We've got a young son and a baby on the way and we just want them to experience something different in life to us. Scotland is nice and is home, but it'll still be here if things go pear shaped down under.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

With 2 young children we felt that the more outdoor lifestyle would be a great place for them to develop. Already we can see positive signs in them that our decision was correct. Everyone has there own thoughts about where they come from, mine was that it was going down hill. I like the fact even people in the government say things like : if your not happy here leave :. The fact that Aussies come first is something that i respect.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:55 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil
hi
you seem to contradicting yourself it sounds like you like oz more that uk??? as for us my wife is from melbourne and me being originally from zimbabwe im just used to the southern weather, the space,the different christmas (from uk),the friendly people(in oz), the big houses oh yes bbq's how i missed this in london.

so in short oz is just like home for me i cant wait to go
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:09 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers,
Pencil
We were so called civili'zed people started staying together with friends and family and in heards.
Now we are migrating, this logic goes as with Migratory birds and animals.
Do you know why Birds and Animals migrate (in winter and summer)? Its exactly the same but make a replacement from food (for birds and animals) to life style (human).

- Bart
Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:06 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Bart that was a bit too deep!!!

Think it's just like the programme says 'new life down under' for whatever the reason it's new things to see and do for a few years before everything becomes familiar.

Can't say I have ever been mega homesick since coming but do miss having a larger friends circle as had quite a large one in UK but am working on that... .

the more the merrier
Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:20 pm
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

better country than NZ in every way and felt at home too when I lived in Sydney fron 98 to 2000.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:04 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: So, why are you going?

Originally Posted by annqldau
Bart that was a bit too deep!!!

Think it's just like the programme says 'new life down under' for whatever the reason it's new things to see and do for a few years before everything becomes familiar.

Can't say I have ever been mega homesick since coming but do miss having a larger friends circle as had quite a large one in UK but am working on that... .

the more the merrier
Sorry its not me... Bart.. Bart dont write such stuff.
Excuse me for that.
Well I agree with you to some extent. And I dont argue about the rest things I disagree with (as those are person weakness).
Emotional, psychological loss is also loss.. Isn't it?

Meeting new people, searching new options, struggling in new place to prove (yourself and) world etc etc is part of human brain or its an alter-ego whatever you call it.
But I call it a restless soul that is in QUEST for nothing...
I would like to end this converstion by words from one of the best poet I have in my list... Sir Henry Longfellow:
He wrote in his one of the poem...
LIFE is nothing but an EMPTY Dream...
wish you good luck for all the QUEST for LIFE.

- Bart
Old Dec 30th 2005, 1:11 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Pencil
Hi.

Whilst Britain may not be "going to the dogs" in an extreme sense I do feel that the quality of life in this country is being severely undermined. It's all relative and so whilst the UK cannot be put on a par with third world countries and some of the terrible quality of life problems that they experience (only speaking in a demographic context here also) the quality of life that we experience does not seem to reflect our cost of living, or at the very least what we have come to expect when living in a "1st world country".

Take todays headlines in the papers as an example. Apparently, we might be looking at average annual heating utility bills of £1,000. How on earth does that represent a fair and balanced cost thus adding to a better quality of life? This is just one example of what seems to be a generalised problem in this country. Add to this the level of crime and the extreme nature of the crime that we seem to experience in the UK now and you start to see a picture forming.

The bottom line is that things could be a lot better but they are not and whilst we are not (or at least the lucky majority) out on the streets starving tonight we should not have to accept anything less than acceptable when contemplating our quality of life respective to our demographic and position in the league of global powers.

Therefore, our reasons for moving to Australia are QoL-centric but more importantly we recognise that Australia would be a much better place for our baby-boy to grow up in. Whilst I also acknowledge that the grass is not neccessarily greener in Australia (and I got a glimpse of this by watching the Australian news every night for 3 weeks) I still feel that it would be more conducive to a better experience for all concerned. I would rather have my boy living the outdoors life than spending each saturday going to the shopping centre with his friends to do nothing. I don't think that we are naive enough to believe that we are moving to a Utopia but Australia simply seems to offer more. Also, bear in mind that a recent survey put most Australian cities in the top-ten global cities for QoL. This has to count for something? For example, Sydney may be equally as expensive as the UK in general but a distinction worth noting is that it offers more than the UK as far as QoL is concerned.

And to top it all off, the icing on the cake, my "raison d'etre", my "joie de vivre", is that I can go surfing lots and lots and lots and lots