Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So, why are you going?

Wikiposts

So, why are you going?

Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, why are you going?

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
because we can!!

we have the chance to go and see what it's like, as we do jobs that are in demand-why not?

i'm too old already but we can apply for PR via RSMS cos my partner is of an age to qualify(can't tell you exactly or she'll give me a thick ear'ole!).

we're going to Hobart so there won't be too much excitement to cause me any health problems, unless there's an imminent ban on shiraz that we don't know about...
Going off your picture, are you ex old hammers???

As a reply, we are going over to be nearer to family and as we also went on holiday...also felt that we have left 'home' behind... In fact its almost everything everybody else has said!!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:24 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Planable weekends, The aussie life style and for me too it feels like home
The bonuses of bigger house for less money just sweetens the deal
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Planable weekends, The aussie life style and for me too it feels like home
The bonuses of bigger house for less money just sweetens the deal
I agree, more space for the rabble to run around in and clean!!! but a lot more space for a lot less mortgage.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:33 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Pencil
Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil
I'm going because it's a fantastic place. Spent holidays there every year for the past 7 years. Have also travelled around it a lot so I know where I want to settle. My little one is four and loves the place. Everytime I touchdown in Sydney I know 'I'm home', it just feels so right and it makes my family happy.

Basically it's what YOU and your family make of it. For some it doesn't work out and some will try and put you off, but only you can decide.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Rachel
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welshie
I'm going because it's a fantastic place. Spent holidays there every year for the past 7 years. Have also travelled around it a lot so I know where I want to settle. My little one is four and loves the place. Everytime I touchdown in Sydney I know 'I'm home', it just feels so right and it makes my family happy.

Basically it's what YOU and your family make of it. For some it doesn't work out and some will try and put you off, but only you can decide.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Rachel

I am really glad this thread was started, as the 'home' feeling is something we had only voiced to ourselves... and hadnt come across with anyone else before. Cheers for the thread..
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I am really glad this thread was started, as the 'home' feeling is something we had only voiced to ourselves... and hadnt come across with anyone else before. Cheers for the thread..
Yes, that’s something my other half always says when we get to Australia - she’s come home.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:56 am
Just Joined

jateai will become famous soon enough

I lived there for 15 years of my life and regret ever leaving so I want to go home.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

We're goin cos Oz is like the UK with sun, plus everyone is on Prozac ...
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a dual national, though I spent the majority of my life in the UK. I definitely see it as going home - quite apart from the fact that all our 'nice' rellies leave out here, it just feels as comfortable as an old pair of shoes. I have no problem with the UK at all, beyond the minor irritations of life that we'll undoubtedly encounter in a slightly different form out here. You don't have to hate somewhere to want to leave it - and I strongly believe that those that do are destined to fail to integrate because the problem's not with either country - but with them.

Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:39 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Me and Laneylou are going because we had a holiday there in 2001 and loved it. We had the points so we thought why not?

We were starting to get tired of the UK and all the political correctness etc. I also feel that there are more opportunities for running your own business in Oz, and petrol is a lot cheaper too!

Obviously Australia has it's problems and is by no means perfect, but at the end of the day if you have the opportunity then you must go for it. Great weather, lots of space with not many people. Think about it: Victoria is the size of Mainland Great Britain with 4.5 million people, 4 million live in Melbourne. 60 Million live in Great Britain - what more can I say.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:50 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

I went for LOVE !!! I have been here since August this year and emigrated to be with my Aussie bloke. I am loving it here.....much less stress....better weather...friendly, laid-back people......bigger houses for a lot less money.....lots of open spaces and the outdoor lifestyle....I could go on and on. The only downside was leaving my family back in Scotland.

Wendy

Last edited by wsbtroyno21; Dec 28th 2005 at 10:51 am. Reason: removing Xmas signature !!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Pencil
Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil
We're hopefully going as I can't remember a time when I haven't yearned to be in Australia some 20 odd years and counting wanting to be somewhere is far too long to wait.
Got loads of family out there and love the place. I think UK is a great place to live but I want something else (and look on it the other way how many Australians don't live in Aus???? must be something about not appreciating what you have!!!).
Will be immense once we get to Aus my 7 year old son loves it there and is always asking when we can go back (but we won't tell him about going to live there as it may not happen no matter how much we want it)
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Going off your picture, are you ex old hammers???

As a reply, we are going over to be nearer to family and as we also went on holiday...also felt that we have left 'home' behind... In fact its almost everything everybody else has said!!!
close-stalybridge but been a latics fan since age 14...
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:42 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Mid life crisis, had 40yrs of Brit fancied 40 yrs of something else.

Aus doesn't have the lingo problems of other places and general background vibe similar to Brit. Did here rumour that lot of them did come from Brit in the first place, some even got free passage.

Have met loads of 10 pound pomm decendants who say their parents hankered after Brit at times but they have visited and wouldn't move there much prefer their Aus life.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I worked on the "pointy" end of criminal and civil enforcement system for years. Over that time I felt that the UK was not a place to start a family for many reasons, mainly social and demographic based. The UK was simply not somewhere I wanted to live anymore.

Actually I think its really hard to think of many other places to migrate to. Realistically the options for many will be Canada, Australia or Europe. I realise there are others but for your average person I reckon those are the choices.

We travelled Europe extensively and really never floated my boat as somewhere to live. We were then going to tour Canada to get a feel for the place and then Brisbane. Went to Cairns first and drove throughout Queensland. Got to Brisbane and then never really made it to Canada in the end.

So a few years on here we are in Brisbane and although "never say never" we will never return to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.