Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So who's happy they moved to Brisbane??

So who's happy they moved to Brisbane??

Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's happy they moved to Brisbane??

Originally Posted by macy

The endless point I am trying to make is, that if like me you are a bit of a city girl in the UK you may find it hard to adjust to living in one of the " LAKE ESTATES " some love it but I would find it quite isolating, I like knowing I don't live in the middle of nowhere.

Lake estates there all over the country, when they do a development of these small flat blocks they dig a vast crater to provide their own fill, that hole then becomes the LAKE in the middle of the housing estate.
Add a barbie and a park and voila a new Lake estate is born.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:34 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Thinking of moving to Brisbane having been on the Sunshine Coast for over a year (Coolum). I can't find any work - I'm a mechanical/electronic draftsman and the wife's a nurse (QNC still haven't sorted her registration out - nurse shortage? - my a*se!) Any suggestions for a place near to Brissie for a family of four (kids are 6 and 4) would be greatly appreciated. Having visited the city several times, we love it. Just need to know which areas are good to settle in. Need to be max. 30min drive from the sea - I like to get pulled through the water attached to a large kite.

Cheers,

Colin
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Houdini
I like to get pulled through the water attached to a large kite.

Cheers,

Colin
Wellington Point springs to mind for that, although I also I see them here at Victoria Point.

Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:53 am
Free at last!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Wellington Point springs to mind for that, although I also I see them here at Victoria Point.
Both areas are on the list to look at first - cheers
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds like Manly is popular too...
Manly is another major windsurfing location in South-East Queensland. Suitable to sail in everything from S to N winds. In a N/NE wind Manly recieves a sharp 1m swell (larger than at Wellington Point) and is great for port tack jumping.
http://www.windsurfingqld.com/2005si...ions.htm#manly

Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:50 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

We've been in Bayside Brissie since June 2002, it was tough at first when your on a 457 visa and you want to settle down and buy your own place
to call your own.
My eldest kids (twins of 18) both start uni at the end of the month..our house is ours (mortgage to pay of course) but everything seems pretty good for us now...

for all you people waiting to get here ...there is light at the end of the tunnel

cheers

Jules
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of moving to Brisbane having been on the Sunshine Coast for over a year (Coolum). I can't find any work - I'm a mechanical/electronic draftsman and the wife's a nurse (QNC still haven't sorted her registration out - nurse shortage? - my a*se!) Any suggestions for a place near to Brissie for a family of four (kids are 6 and 4) would be greatly appreciated. Having visited the city several times, we love it. Just need to know which areas are good to settle in. Need to be max. 30min drive from the sea - I like to get pulled through the water attached to a large kite.

Cheers,

Colin
I have seen plenty people being pulled through the water by a kite at Wellington Point. By the way what do they call it as I had thought of paying for some lessons for one of my children for their birthday
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

I've been here since August last year and I like it. It's definitely one of the best cities I've lived in for getting around and it feels like a nice size - not too big but lively enough at the same time. It feels very green as well and I think this helps to make it feel more open. We live in one of the inner city suburbs and it really doesn't feel like you're inner city.

We have decided to settle here for a couple of years but we're both not sure that we would like to live here longer than that. Mrs F did uni here (she's Australian and I'm on a de facto visa) so she's been, seen and got the Brisbane tee-shirt and I still have a bit of wandering in me yet. I also get the feeling that I could probably get that tee-shirt feeling at some stage.

So we've decided to put on hold a decision about long term plans. Whether we stay much longer term will depend on different factors I reckon - work, friendships, families and probably the water situation.

I also have a few doubts about the climate. Mrs F hates Brisbane in summer but I found it relatively ok. Though we went to Mt Tamborine a couple of weeks ago and I had forgotten how nice it is not to live a humid climate. But looking forward to autumn/winter as I hear it's the best time of year.

So I guess I would definitely say I'm happy to be here but we aren't sure whether it's a place we want to spend a lengthy part of our lives.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mand8002
I have seen plenty people being pulled through the water by a kite at Wellington Point. By the way what do they call it as I had thought of paying for some lessons for one of my children for their birthday
This might help... http://www.adrenalin.com.au/adventur....aspx?view=296

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Were on the GC so not to far away. We have loved every minute of being here .
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:02 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrantP

I've been here since the end of August, and so far I'm glad I made the move! I have my parent coming out here this week for a holiday, and I can't wait to show them around!

I'm happy to hear all comments, so post away....
I've been here since the end of July and I'm happy with it too. And my mother is coming to visit in 3 weeks too

Things have gone pretty well for us so far (except for our landlord selling our last house form under us and Mrs M's boss being a dickhead). I'm very happy in my job, we've been out and about quite a bit and made friends (including meeting some nice peeps from BE). Life is good.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:20 pm
Free at last!

Originally Posted by mand8002
The term your'e looking for is either kitesurfing or kiteboarding. BTW How old are your kids? I wouldn't recommend it for any kid under 15 or so - it's classed as an extreme sport and can be very dangerous. Definitely get lessons from an IKO certified instructor.

What's Ormiston like?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

love it love it love it love it love it!!!!

Have been renting in Clayfield since november but settlement on house in Sandgate happening tomorrow. Can't wait.

It's a great place.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Cheers,

Colin
Loads of people get dragged around sea by kites in Sandgate/Brighton. Looks like fun.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:15 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

...you mean looks like suicide!! ....

Wouldn't mind having a go though. Not much chance of the sharks catching you with one of them things hauling your ass accross the surf!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.