Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what's everyone doing with all their new dollars?

So what's everyone doing with all their new dollars?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:58 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default So what's everyone doing with all their new dollars?

I've only got a couple of savings accounts, ING and Bankwest were the most obvious to me.

Really think I want to be spreading it out a _lot_ more thinly though - any recommendations?

Alex
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:58 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what's everyone doing with all their new dollars?

www.raboplus.com.au

AAA Credit Rated Bank and rated the most secure non government bank in the world and 4th overall 10 years in a row. No other financial institution in Australia has that credit rating.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
I've only got a couple of savings accounts, ING and Bankwest were the most obvious to me.

Really think I want to be spreading it out a _lot_ more thinly though - any recommendations?

Alex
We've just moved quite a bit given the current exchange rate and also think it would be a good idea not to dump it with the same bank as our other savings, just in case.

Think we will go round some of the other high street banks at the weekend and see who wants our buisness.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best policy will be to hang on to your new dollars ( in whatever account).

You may well need them when the real implications of this rapid decline in the value of the currency and the economy is felt.

Pensions will need to funded from somewhere

G
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Building an extension on our house.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

That's maybe a good idea to spread the funds around, Ive just exchanged all our funds, although it will take some while to receive them in oz, but I guess we start looking at term deposits in the banks and maybe online. Not sure where to start really, maybe ingdirect in oz is a good bet.. First thing is to re-stock the beer/wine fridge for a good wkend after a mad few days and disappointing exchange rates during these year.

Good luck to everyone..

Russ & Sarah
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:30 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I think the best policy will be to hang on to your new dollars ( in whatever account).

You may well need them when the real implications of this rapid decline in the value of the currency and the economy is felt.

Pensions will need to funded from somewhere

G

Keep in mind though that Aussie banks don't offer the same guarantee as European banks do on your savings. Admittedly it is quite an extreme situation if an Aussie bank was to fold and for savings to be lost, but seriously, who knows what to expect in this financial turmoil.

Aussie property is looking a good bet again. Prices have dropped quite substantially (in WA at least - we paid less for our house than what the previous owner bought it for almost 3 years ago!), and interest rates are dropping. Of course if everyone does start jumping into the housing market again then it might start to stabilise, so you probably need to get your timing right.

The timing of exchange rates, property prices, and interest rates couldn't be better for anyone moving over to Oz at this very moment.