Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what should we do?

So what should we do?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:50 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what should we do?

Right...can I have all of your opinions now please on this very important quetion?!

We are applying for the new SIR Visa, but have to go about it the long way round as we had a major points issue. My husband turnes 30 on Tuesday, and we had to get an application in before then. We have gone in for the skill matching scheme, but in the meantime applied for state nomination from South Australia. Once we hopefully received this, we will change our application to one for a SIR Visa. (my agent has checked this all out and apparently its kosher as we were a bit nonplussed at first). Wengerboy got his state nomination really quickly, and Im hopeing that we do too so we could bypass all this malarkey.....

Anyway, so my question is...SHOULD WE PUT OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET NOW? This new SIR visa apparently gets priority processing and as we also need to pay the $100k bond, Id hate to be unable to sell the house and not be able to pay the bond. On the other hand, Id also hate to be homeless and living with my parents :scared: . We are in a right pickle and honestly dont know what to do. What would you do?

Lucy
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Steve58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sell! Sell! Sell!

You can always rent somewhere for a while if you have a delay in getting the visa.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:12 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what should we do?

Originally posted by lucyb
Right...can I have all of your opinions now please on this very important quetion?!

We are applying for the new SIR Visa, but have to go about it the long way round as we had a major points issue. My husband turnes 30 on Tuesday, and we had to get an application in before then. We have gone in for the skill matching scheme, but in the meantime applied for state nomination from South Australia. Once we hopefully received this, we will change our application to one for a SIR Visa. (my agent has checked this all out and apparently its kosher as we were a bit nonplussed at first). Wengerboy got his state nomination really quickly, and Im hopeing that we do too so we could bypass all this malarkey.....

Anyway, so my question is...SHOULD WE PUT OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET NOW? This new SIR visa apparently gets priority processing and as we also need to pay the $100k bond, Id hate to be unable to sell the house and not be able to pay the bond. On the other hand, Id also hate to be homeless and living with my parents :scared: . We are in a right pickle and honestly dont know what to do. What would you do?

Lucy
we were in a "similar position"

Whilst you have the HOUSE for sale, it will be difficult to borrow money should you need to raise addittional funds, for the BOND.

However you could remortgage meanwhile, adding an extra £40 k to mortgage, which you could do on a no penalty interest only deal. And have house for sale simultaneously

ie. when you sell, just pay back what you owe, end of !

This would get your bond in position, without the ultimate need for the house to sell, should the bond request precede the house sale.

Re the visa, I was aware or perhaps mis informed, that should you switch main application visa type then you need to pay a whole new set of fees etc. and ultimately a fresh application.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I'd say it'd better to be able to pay the bond and not be in sh*t creek that way.

Living with parents would be just a slight inconvenience. The quicker you can pay the bond and get everything to go through, the quicker you can leave.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:15 am
ABCDiamond

What are house prices doing, or likely to do, in YOUR area ?

If they look like dropping soon, then Sell !

As Steve58 says, you can always rent something.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:21 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Lucy
Definately Sell.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:21 am

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au

Re the visa, I was aware or perhaps mis informed, that should you switch main application visa type then you need to pay a whole new set of fees etc. and ultimately a fresh application.

Well the good news is that you dont have to pay to join the skill matching scheme, so we will only have to pay one visa application fee!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:22 am
Go Banana's !!

Lucy
I'd sell Lucy.

So many of us are having problems with our houses at the moment that I'd allow extra time. A small inconvenience will be living with the Outlaws but you only have to sleep there !!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Warren
Perth 2004....Twice !! :scared:

Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:22 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
What are house prices doing, or likely to do, in YOUR area ?

If they look like dropping soon, then Sell !

As Steve58 says, you can always rent something.

Hi ABC....

Well we paid £215 for our house in Feb and its worth £250 now...but I want MORE!!!!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:24 am
ABCDiamond

Hi ABC....

Well we paid £215 for our house in Feb and its worth £250 now...but I want MORE!!!!!!!
But..... are house prices still rising in YOUR area ?

Another Interest rate rise in UK aswell, I heard earlier; will that make things worse to sell ? Based on info in this first post

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jul 8th 2004 at 11:27 am.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:26 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Hi ABC....

Do you live in a peat hut or something??
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:27 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ABC....

If it is 'worth' 250k then it is likely to be hard getting any more, given the big jump in stamp duty, unless you have several people desperate to uy your property.
Isn't a 16% tax free gain in 5mths enough?
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:27 am
Now 15% less offensive

Hi ABC....

Well, have you put your house on the market? If not, do it. See what interest there is.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:29 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ABC....

from my experience the skill matching database , you could sit on their for years

re your house, depends on the equity you have in the property, irrespective of purchase and current value

The 100k bond should accrue 5% interest when placed annually, less tax at source.

The pointers are houses under 250k accrue a substantially less stamp duty in uk, properties in the 250+ band are slow moving , in fact at a standstill in some regions.

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Jul 8th 2004 at 8:32 am.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:31 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Sell it Lucy, better to have some money than being stuck in a house you cant sell or if it ever happens negative equity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.