Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:38 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

There have been a few negative comments raised recently about the fact the board is not (IMHO) an anodine board about Aus & NZ lifestyle and culture but actually features real life experiences, off-topic moments and personal journal write-ups. Also the price of lettuce threads came in for criticism.

I love all that stuff.

For gawd's sake, how many times can you go over the same old tat about finding/ selling housing, cars (me, I want a badass 4WD!), weather, immigration, reactions of mum, dad and grampy (not forgetting sour sister), schooling, Walker's crisps & Marmite (where to get them?), OMG I got it!, tough out here ain't it etc???!!!

I get the feeling that some of the criticisms have come from people trained in Usenet etiquette - where threads stay on topic and you have to be a conforming boring bleep to do well.

This isn't Usenet! Thank gawd. Bunch of boring bleeps.

I love the personal side to many of the threads, the diaries, the real life experiences, the ups and downs, the dramas.

This is real life!

This is a community!

Anyone else got an opinion on what this forum should be?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:55 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

Originally Posted by The Don
I love the personal side to many of the threads, the diaries, the real life experiences, the ups and downs, the dramas.

This is real life!

This is a community!
Don, I'm with you there. I too love all the personal stuff on here, though I think that there is a lot of stuff that should be on the Immigration forum but generally I think the balance is about right on here.
Interesting to see people's thoughts.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Well said Don. I think this forum is like a little village and we all like to hear about what our mates have been up to. We need the negative and the positive to keep the forum balanced.
Come back Dotty where are you
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I love this forum....I wouldnt be addicted to it if I wasnt....

I love all the positive and negative views on life in the UK and in Oz....Especially when its peoples personal experiences....

About the only thing about this forum that gets on my goat is the minority who belittle and ridicule those that have a differing opinion to their own....If they dont agree with it, cant they just say so and post why? Now that to me is a balanced debate!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

There have been a few negative comments raised recently about the fact the board is not (IMHO) an anodine board about Aus & NZ lifestyle and culture but actually features real life experiences, off-topic moments and personal journal write-ups. Also the price of lettuce threads came in for criticism.

I love all that stuff.

For gawd's sake, how many times can you go over the same old tat about finding/ selling housing, cars (me, I want a badass 4WD!), weather, immigration, reactions of mum, dad and grampy (not forgetting sour sister), schooling, Walker's crisps & Marmite (where to get them?), OMG I got it!, tough out here ain't it etc???!!!

I get the feeling that some of the criticisms have come from people trained in Usenet etiquette - where threads stay on topic and you have to be a conforming boring bleep to do well.

This is real life!

This is a community!

Anyone else got an opinion on what this forum should be?

Yep got to agree with the Don, some very useful insights to be gained from the arguments, the diaries, the jokes and the discussions.
Don't let it become too bland
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
About the only thing about this forum that gets on my goat is the minority who belittle and ridicule those that have a differing opinion to their own
A suitable word is beligerent.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

About the only thing about this forum that gets on my goat is the minority who belittle and ridicule those that have a differing opinion to their own....If they dont agree with it, cant they just say so and post why? Now that to me is a balanced debate!!
Right on! You don't mind somebody having an opposing view if they back it up with some reason, instead of stats!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Bix......

Originally Posted by wmoore
Right on! You don't mind somebody having an opposing view if they back it up with some reason, instead of stats!

Wayne...

Exactly!!! To me....if I hear someone elses opinion that differs to mine...dont I learn something from it?? You never know....it might alter the way I see my own opinion....sometimes it will, sometimes not....But if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion...what do I get from that? Nada!!! What do others reading this forum get?? Nada!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:39 pm
Don
Banned

Talking Re: So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

Bix......
Wayne...

Exactly!!! To me....if I hear someone elses opinion that differs to mine...dont I learn something from it?? You never know....it might alter the way I see my own opinion....sometimes it will, sometimes not....But if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion...what do I get from that? Nada!!! What do others reading this forum get?? Nada!!
80% of forum posters say 'bogoff' to your last comment.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

But true analysis of that shows a different story.

65% were Bog and only 15% were Off.

So that leaves us in the mire.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Don,
when Hels said" But if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion...what do I get from that? Nada!!! What do others reading this forum get?? Nada!!
I think it meant that others get nothing from this forum if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion

In which case I agree with Hels
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:59 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by Paylia
Don,
when Hels said" But if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion...what do I get from that? Nada!!! What do others reading this forum get?? Nada!!
I think it meant that others get nothing from this forum if someone starts to ridicule my opinion without giving me their own opinion

Maybe I do, too?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Paylia
Don,

Me too

...but Don may be a 20% er.

It's just the way he walks
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Gawd!!! I turn my back to write a "War & Peace" type reply to another thread and what do I get???

Ridicule!!...

Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: So what does everybody want this forum to look like?

This is real life!

This is a community!

Anyone else got an opinion on what this forum should be?[/QUOTE]

Well said Don ! Although I do believe you knew this would get folk agreeing with you so that we'd all hit your "KARMA". Joking , joking. But just because you've told "THEM" ,I'm hitting your button .
All the best , Tass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.