Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So.....what are Aussies really like?

So.....what are Aussies really like?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up So.....what are Aussies really like?

Over the years I've noticed a few threads regarding this subject. Naturally people are concerned they may move to Aus and be isolated, or worse still have nothing in common with Aussies. Well, maybe this can put your mind at rest.

I had a massive hole put in my garden today. We're having a pool built and never having done anything like this before, I was shitting myself when I saw the size of the bloody hole.

Pools are expensive, and it's the add-on costs that create the most nightmares. Firstly, we had FIFTY trucks of soil to remove, all added costs if the trucks get held up on the road, or if certain sites can't take the load. So.....our next door neighbour spoke to a mate who has acreage, and he took the whole lot. All he would accept is a crate of beer and a thank you.

The next door neighbour also stayed at our house so we didn't have to take a day off work. He wouldn't accept a thing. He said a few days in the pool would be enough thanks.

Our elderly neighbours at the other side have taken themselves off for a few days holiday as the wife has cancer and needs the rest. We offered to see them right with the cost, but they wouldn't hear of it. They said it was no problem as they were due a break anyway.

As you can see from this one example, the Aussies are not a bad lot.

In the 22 months since we've been here we have encountered nothing short of generosity and kindness. This has been above and beyond anything we've ever known, wherever we've lived.

We have plenty of examples of this kindness and it's been a humbling learning experience that's for sure

I'm not saying every Aussie behaves this way, but from our experience if you muck in, work hard, treat people with respect, then you get the same in return. Big time.

So for those of you worried about moving here, please take comfort that it's not all doom and gloom.

The Aussies aint a bad lot

PS Dont tell em though cos they'll get big heads
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Re: So.....what are Aussies really like?

I realise it's not the same experience as living in Oz but when we visited in January this year on our honeymoon (2 weeks Cairns, Sydney, Melbourne) we found all the Ozzies to be very sound, nice people. I was shocked to read some of the stories on here about how the ozzies are different to us. Didn't come accross that way at all when we were there. I realise we were only there for 2 weeks.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I realise it's not the same experience as living in Oz but when we visited in January this year on our honeymoon (2 weeks Cairns, Sydney, Melbourne) we found all the Ozzies to be very sound, nice people. I was shocked to read some of the stories on here about how the ozzies are different to us. Didn't come accross that way at all when we were there. I realise we were only there for 2 weeks.
Yep. In the main they are a friendly bunch. Of course there are the odd few who are nosey and want to know your business...but I'd say 99.9% are a great bunch.

My lad worked at Xmas during the school holidays for extra cash. He was working in a store and his boss asked him to go work on the tills.

An elderly couple came up to the counter and the elderly lady asked my lad if he was hot cos she could see he was sweating [Xmas is bloody hot here ]

Anyways, to cut a long story short, after the elderly lady and her husband went away, the came back 5 mins later and bought my lad a cold coke from a shop and said "here you are, that should put you on" [or words to that effect].

My lad was gob smacked and they wouldn't let him pay for it either

Like you say, the large majority are a great bunch.

Good luck with the move, and congrats on the wedding
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:09 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Over the years I've noticed a few threads regarding this subject. Naturally people are concerned they may move to Aus and be isolated, or worse still have nothing in common with Aussies. Well, maybe this can put your mind at rest.

I had a massive hole put in my garden today. We're having a pool built and never having done anything like this before, I was shitting myself when I saw the size of the bloody hole.

Pools are expensive, and it's the add-on costs that create the most nightmares. Firstly, we had FIFTY trucks of soil to remove, all added costs if the trucks get held up on the road, or if certain sites can't take the load. So.....our next door neighbour spoke to a mate who has acreage, and he took the whole lot. All he would accept is a crate of beer and a thank you.

The next door neighbour also stayed at our house so we didn't have to take a day off work. He wouldn't accept a thing. He said a few days in the pool would be enough thanks.

Our elderly neighbours at the other side have taken themselves off for a few days holiday as the wife has cancer and needs the rest. We offered to see them right with the cost, but they wouldn't hear of it. They said it was no problem as they were due a break anyway.

In the 22 months since we've been here we have encountered nothing short of generosity and kindness. This has been above and beyond anything we've ever known, wherever we've lived.

We have plenty of examples of this kindness and it's been a humbling learning experience that's for sure

I'm not saying every Aussie behaves this way, but from our experience if you muck in, work hard, treat people with respect, then you get the same in return. Big time.

So for those of you worried about moving here, please take comfort that it's not all doom and gloom.

It sounds to me that you have very good neighbours ,my lot over here in perth havent utered a word to me in ten years .It will certainly help you to settle in the long term to australian way of life ,i must admit i am a little envious as i always had neighbours like that in the uk i guess its pot luck
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sassenach
It sounds to me that you have very good neighbours ,my lot over here in perth havent utered a word to me in ten years .It will certainly help you to settle in the long term to australian way of life ,i must admit i am a little envious as i always had neighbours like that in the uk i guess its pot luck
Yes, you could be right. If the neighbours haven't talked to you for ten years then that's sad. Have you spoken to them? I just wonder if they may be shy?

Actually, I confess it was my neighbours who approached me first. I'm actually quite a loner so feel uncomfortable in unknown company however the couple next door invited us over for Xmas morning drinks and we just got chatting.

The chap on the other side is on his own so we invited him for a meal one night and now he's part of the furniture

You're right sassenach, this has probably helped us settle, however we have also joined local clubs so we've gotton to know our local community, and also have friends from work. It's a right melting pot of Aussies, Kiwi's, Poms, Scots,Welsh, Italian, Irish....you name it. One bag of mixed nuts
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:44 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you could be right. If the neighbours haven't talked to you for ten years then that's sad. Have you spoken to them? I just wonder if they may be shy?

Actually, I confess it was my neighbours who approached me first. I'm actually quite a loner so feel uncomfortable in unknown company however the couple next door invited us over for Xmas morning drinks and we just got chatting.

The chap on the other side is on his own so we invited him for a meal one night and now he's part of the furniture

You're right sassenach, this has probably helped us settle, however we have also joined local clubs so we've gotton to know our local community, and also have friends from work. It's a right melting pot of Aussies, Kiwi's, Poms, Scots,Welsh, Italian, Irish....you name it. One bag of mixed nuts
yes we have tried to talk to them but no joy ,your doing the right thing by joining clubs as it seems to be the way it operates here ,you seem to be clued up on what to do here in australia if you want to settle quickly good on ya
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sassenach
yes we have tried to talk to them but no joy ,your doing the right thing by joining clubs as it seems to be the way it operates here ,you seem to be clued up on what to do here in australia if you want to settle quickly good on ya
Sorry to hear this sassenach. It must be difficult for you guys to settle if your neighbours are this much hard work Have you thought about moving? Sometimes you can move and find the complete opposite. Good luck m8 and fingers crossed things get better.

We've been lucky I suppose. We've got more friends than we could have imagined, we don't live in each others pockets or meddle in each others business and there's no one-upmanship or bragging or keeping up with the Jones's. I guess we're all working class folk who don't pretend to be anything else. I guess we've just been lucky m8

Good luck Sassanach.......and I hope things start looking up
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Ancient Indian wisdom has it that 'the smile you send out comes back to you' (or at least it said that on a Beach Boys album cover) Invariably, wherever you live in this world if you treat people as you would have them treat you and all that, they will (with the odd exception because a minority of people are odd or shy etc).

OzTennis
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ancient Indian wisdom has it that 'the smile you send out comes back to you' (or at least it said that on a Beach Boys album cover) Invariably, wherever you live in this world if you treat people as you would have them treat you and all that, they will (with the odd exception because a minority of people are odd or shy etc).

OzTennis
I agree to some degree OzT...however sometimes it's also about meeting people who share the same values in life don't you think? For instance, sometimes we meet people who, for whatever reason, we distrust. Perhaps they have very different values to our own. .

Perhaps we tend to "gel" with people who share our own values? By the very nature of this, we engage with these types of people best. Perhaps there's also a bit of tolerance involved. On all sides. And a wee bit of luck
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to some degree OzT...however sometimes it's also about meeting people who share the same values in life don't you think? For instance, sometimes we meet people who, for whatever reason, we distrust. Perhaps they have very different values to our own. .

Perhaps we tend to "gel" with people who share our own values? By the very nature of this, we engage with these types of people best. Perhaps there's also a bit of tolerance involved. On all sides. And a wee bit of luck
Another bit of wisdom?
People like, people like themselves. Very few people have lots of friends who have radically different values, ideas and interests to themselves.

There is a difference also between being 'neighbourly' and those we form close friendships with.

OzTennis
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Another bit of wisdom?
People like, people like themselves. Very few people have lots of friends who have radically different values, ideas and interests to themselves.

There is a difference also between being 'neighbourly' and those we form close friendships with.

OzTennis
Agreed.

Although some of us do have friends who do have different values, ideas and interests ......albeit not radically different.

And you are right, there are friends...and there are acquaintances
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:31 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. I haven't had such experiences( but then I live in Perth) but it does show they are possible, which is encouraging.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:46 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
but then I live in Perth

Is there something different about the people in Perth then ?
The ones I met were friendly and helpful .
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbours are very nice too.
I was away for work and our neighbour noticed that our front door had been open for ages and hubby was not in garage (where he spends EVERY evening).

So he came over to check hubby was OK and that our house had not been broken into. H had left the door open because it was hot!

Maybe we are lucky but it is nice to have caring neighbours!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Theres 20 million aussies, so I'd imagine theres exactly the same cross range of people as anywhere else. Thats certainly our experience, a mix of good and bad. Some lovely friendly people and some total wankers you'd rate below a dogs calling card. Its just a normal country why would it be any other mix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.