so sad!!

Old Jan 27th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default so sad!!

hi guys
I am feeling so sad at the mo! after doing loads of research, it looks like i may not be able to live my dream in oz!!
i arrogantly thought that as i was finishing a degree this june(social work) that i would be deemed a professional and oz would want me. what goes against me is my age 38, and lack of work experience. i probably could apply in about 3 years time! and then it could be 2/3 years later by this time i get there, then i'd get less points for age. My sister in-law migrates to Perth in April, we have looked at the sponsored route, but it apears it will take just as long! and she may not earn enough to provide assurance (she's a nurse)

can anyone offer me comfort? something i might be missing? some hope?
Old Jan 27th 2003, 3:47 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so sad!!

Originally posted by ellen1
<snip>
My sister in-law migrates to Perth in April, we have looked at the sponsored route, but it apears it will take just as long! and she may not earn enough to provide assurance (she's a nurse)
Ellen,

Sorry to hear that you've hit a brick wall, at least you think you have... It would serve your interest best if you talked to an experienced registered migration agent. Some of those who roam this forum are pretty good at their work.

You should also note that (I've quoted your relevant statement above) a sponsor need not be the assurer. Your sister may sponsor you, and if she does not pass the income test, may elect to find you an assurer who does pass the income test.

So, all hope is not lost, yet...

Peter
Old Jan 27th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default THANKS

Thanks Peter, feel a bit better already!
Old Jan 27th 2003, 4:06 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THANKS

Thanks Peter, feel a bit better already!
Good to hear that.

The idea is not to completely lose hope. It's not a healthy thing to do.

I've merely pointed out a legal avenue that you haven't seen so far. Self research is fine, but if you draw the wrong conclusions from it, it may get you down for no real reason!

So, you should really consider bringing your case to the attention of an experienced agent (I get no commission from any agent, so I have no vested interest in your engaging any agent). He/she should be able to lay all the cards at your disposal in front of you.

Recommendations from this forum tend to go with the regular agents here:

Alan Collett of Go Matilda fame

George Lombard http://www.austimmigration.com.au/ (George incidentally does not read this Lifestyle Forum, but only the Immigration/Usenet Forum)

Steven O'Neil, who still calls Australia home

Regards
Peter
Old Jan 27th 2003, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Default thanks again

once again thanks peter, i appreciate any help advice and encouragement!
regards
ellen

ps are u there? (in oz)
Old Jan 27th 2003, 4:24 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Default Re: thanks again

ps are u there? (in oz)
When DIMIA finally decides to look at my skilled independent application, I sure hope I'll be there!

I'm in Singapore now, as my 'Location' suggests

Peter
Old Jan 27th 2003, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thanks again

Ellen,

The points for age are taken at the time you apply, not when you receive visa. So aim to apply before 40.

You can make up 5 points by investing $100k for a year in Oz Government investment, if you have $100k?!.

You still need the basic skills and experience, but this may buy you some time.
Also if you have a partner, they might qualify as first applicant.
There are other sorts of visa aswell, like business ones...

As Peter says, time to invest in some legal advice, otherwise you may miss something..

Mash..

once again thanks peter, i appreciate any help advice and encouragement!
regards
ellen

ps are u there? (in oz)
Old Jan 27th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Also you never know how points and skills in demand may change over the next 3 years. The points needed was 110 about 5 months ago. You never know they may bring it back down again. You could also try state sponsered etc which may accept lower points.
Never say never, the rules change all the time.

Best of luck