British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   So Perth it is then - accommodation advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/so-perth-then-accommodation-advice-453106/)

Julez82 May 25th 2007 10:46 am

So Perth it is then - accommodation advice?

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice on rental accommodation in Perth - how quickly can you find a suitable property and move in?

My daughter and I arrive mid-July, we'll be staying in holiday accommodation for at least 2 weeks but I hope to find a suitable property before then.

All advice appreciated!

Jules

kiwi_child May 25th 2007 10:53 am

Re: So Perth it is then - accommodation advice?

Originally Posted by Julez82 (Post 4829683)
Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice on rental accommodation in Perth - how quickly can you find a suitable property and move in?

My daughter and I arrive mid-July, we'll be staying in holiday accommodation for at least 2 weeks but I hope to find a suitable property before then.

All advice appreciated!

Jules

I sincerely hope the situation has improved by the time you arrive. Today it was announced rental vacancies in perth are at 0.8%. A 2% rate is considered a crisis! Basically due to the huge overpricriced property market, the resources boom, interstate and international migration, and poor planning by the state govs (both lib and labor).

I can only suggest you check out some of the bigger real estate places when you get here eg; lj hooker, ray white, roy weston, century 21, they all have websites too. Also maybe take a look at: www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au

Good luck mate :thumbup:

fings May 25th 2007 11:16 am

Hi everyone!

All advice appreciated!

Jules

we have been here 8 weeks now ,didnnt have a problem with getting rental,but have heard its hard ,maybe we were lucky :D
what would possibly sway it in your favour is offer to pay 3 months rental upfront aswell as bond etc
try get references off estate agents if sold house ,other people etc
all depends on finances of course ,personal suituation
hope this helps abit

Evelin May 25th 2007 11:41 am

Hi everyone!

All advice appreciated!

Jules

the main problem will be your timing. Everybody will come out around this time - school hols in Europe. In my view: the earlier you come, the better your chances.

Where would you like to live anyway?

lewandkate May 25th 2007 12:03 pm

Hi everyone!

All advice appreciated!

Jules

just found this website www.rent.com.au
does short and long term

Lew

orchids May 25th 2007 4:55 pm

we rented last year and it took about four weeks to find what we wanted but we did want a pool, we were told it is easier to find a rental in their winter months as not as many people move over winter time. we rented through harbour real estate.

Julez82 May 25th 2007 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by orchids (Post 4831187)
we rented last year and it took about four weeks to find what we wanted but we did want a pool, we were told it is easier to find a rental in their winter months as not as many people move over winter time. we rented through harbour real estate.

Thanks everyone. There seem to be loads of properties in the search criteria I'm after, but will keep in mind the news.

Still not 100% settled on Perth, decisions decisions!

kiwi_child May 26th 2007 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Julez82 (Post 4831772)
Thanks everyone. There seem to be loads of properties in the search criteria I'm after, but will keep in mind the news.

Still not 100% settled on Perth, decisions decisions!

Bear in mind that real estate agencies are not the quickest at taking no longer available properties off their sites. I don't know just how legal it is to offer more than 4 weeks rent in advance +bond as this sort of practice would lock out many Australians from maybe being on an equal playing field. I know there have been properties that have attracted 100 or more applicants and that some 'bidding' has gone on over the amount asked for in rent. My understanding is that this is illegal and that the gov are looking into it.

Unless you have a job lined up in Perth (or WA and want Perth as your base), or have family already over here, why not research other places? It's a big country and personally I can think of places in OZ I'd rather live than Perth.

worzel May 26th 2007 3:31 am

Hi everyone!

All advice appreciated!

Jules

We found somewhere within a week 18 months ago but it will be harder now I am sure. Make sure you have everything you need to complete an application when you view a place as you will probably lose out if you go away to fill in the paperwork.

You really need to be here to find somewhere but browsing the web will give you an idea what price is fair / what areas etc.

Do you have the funds to offer a few months rent up front - that helps as does being a professional etc.

Can you get a third week to give yourself some leeway?

orchids May 26th 2007 8:24 am

alot of people out there offer 6 months rent up front, thats what we did and the landlord accepted this and we had no problems, they do check your property after 6 weeks and if you have stained the carpet or anything they ask you to get it cleaned etc then cpme back a week or two later to check, they are quite particular over there with rental properties if through an agent.

Julez82 May 26th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 4832900)
Bear in mind that real estate agencies are not the quickest at taking no longer available properties off their sites. I don't know just how legal it is to offer more than 4 weeks rent in advance +bond as this sort of practice would lock out many Australians from maybe being on an equal playing field. I know there have been properties that have attracted 100 or more applicants and that some 'bidding' has gone on over the amount asked for in rent. My understanding is that this is illegal and that the gov are looking into it.

Unless you have a job lined up in Perth (or WA and want Perth as your base), or have family already over here, why not research other places? It's a big country and personally I can think of places in OZ I'd rather live than Perth.

LOL, I have had a rethink of Perth as I'm not 100% sure. I'm considering the Gold Coast, I have a better 'feel' about it than Perth.

I may have to consider the fact that 2 weeks might be too short and will keep that in mind!