Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so how hard is it

so how hard is it

Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:46 am
Just Joined

greggyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default so how hard is it

Im 33 married man with 2 small children aged 7 and 3, ive been in call centre management for 11 years earning £35000 plus

Ive had enough. Ive got a chance of reduncy and ive got a lot of money in my house.

My wife has set her heart on Australia, I know what to do butit scares the S@@T out of me

so.....how hard is it
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Depends on where you want ot go and how much money ocmes with you i think
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: so how hard is it

Originally posted by greggyboy
Im 33 married man with 2 small children aged 7 and 3, ive been in call centre management for 11 years earning £35000 plus

Ive had enough. Ive got a chance of reduncy and ive got a lot of money in my house.

My wife has set her heart on Australia, I know what to do butit scares the S@@T out of me

so.....how hard is it
The more money you have got the easier it is unless of course you are leaving other family behind.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

yes of course my family will be left behind but I live in the North East Now and they all live down south so i see them 2 x a year at best!!!!!!!

I would probably come with 50 grand plus everything I sell from my house but its the process that concerns us, the visa, the acceptance, the houses,a job, the spiders!!!!!!

I just feel like giving up my job in the next two weeks and gambling but what a risk for my wife and children and thats whats scares me.

Basically, If I could sell up pack up our bags and go to Oz we would but it aint that simple is it...

Thanks

Greg
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:35 pm
ABCDiamond

yes of course my family will be left behind but I live in the North East Now and they all live down south so i see them 2 x a year at best!!!!!!!

I would probably come with 50 grand plus everything I sell from my house but its the process that concerns us, the visa, the acceptance, the houses,a job, the spiders!!!!!!

I just feel like giving up my job in the next two weeks and gambling but what a risk for my wife and children and thats whats scares me.

Basically, If I could sell up pack up our bags and go to Oz we would but it aint that simple is it...

Thanks

Greg
OK, the process, the visa, the acceptance, the houses, a job, - that lot I can't help with, but the spiders!!!!!!, don't panic about them. They are not as bad as people make out.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

2 years ago we were asking the same questions.

Now we've been there on holiday, going again this year and permanently next.

If you've never been try a visit. It should help with a lot of the questions and give you an idea if it's what you and your family want.

If you've been to Oz before just see it as another house move. I know it's a much bigger step but all the same things have to be taken into consideration. Imagine you were moving down south. It's virtually the same (apart from the flying of course). Same issues for good areas to live in, jobs, new friends etc. etc. etc.

When I think this way it stops the headless chicken act taking over!

so.....how hard is it
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I get the feeling that you aren't really that committed to it Greg. If all the process seems to much, and a big hassle then i would imagine the setting up of a new life would be too.

You need to seriously think about how much you really want to do it.

I love it here, (even though i only been here since November) but its horses for courses..will suit some and not others. Takes grit, determination, patience and a strong will to pull it off!!!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:50 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

so.....how hard is it

The first thing to do is take an online assessment to see if you meet the points score to get into Australia.
The rest will come if it is what you really want.
Think long and hard about what you are leaving behind, What you want out of Australia, and work hard to achieve your aim.

Good Luck.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Default so how

make no mistake its what we want and ive done the online assesment and now they want £166 to apply for the visa but dont get me wrong its not about money its about nerve and bottle. Im the breadwinner and im a father...can I put that stability at risk for a dream.............. I dont know...am I skilled enough in my field of work, will theywant me,I dont know...

questions questions questions LOL!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

What work do you do Greg?
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

I have been in Call Centre Management for 12 years with 2 different companies currently with AXA Insurance, My skills are in managment though not insurance!!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:03 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so how

make no mistake its what we want and ive done the online assesment and now they want £166 to apply for the visa
if you are going the skilled route then if you have the patience (and some people don't) then download booklet 6 (on DIMA website) and read it several times - if you can't get the visa then most of the other questions become irrelevant. (call me sceptical, but I would not rely totally on an agents online assessment - they are in the business of getting you interested so they can hopefully get a fee out of you)

£166 sounds low for agents fees - what does this buy? And don't give up the day job just yet, it takes (for most) over a year to get the visa

all the best
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:42 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by podgypossum
Takes grit, determination, patience and a strong will to pull it off!!!

Ditto.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:18 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

It used to be very hard but as you get older it's not quite as hard as when you were younger
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:21 pm
WBB

Originally posted by podgypossum
Takes grit, determination, patience and a strong will to pull it off!!!
thought we were back in the mastication thread for a second

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.