Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so, has your house purchase in oz gone smoothly?

so, has your house purchase in oz gone smoothly?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:24 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default so, has your house purchase in oz gone smoothly?

So, am I being naieve? I was told how simple easy and quick it was to buy/sell a house in oz. I am definately NOT having a good time with my purchase, all comments and your experiences are welcome....
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:32 am
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: so, has your house purchase in oz gone smoothly?

smooth as silk,

just need to understand the thousands of forms and things you have to pay for,,

as for mortgage insurance, and dutys, more corruption by a commonwealth government and its financial institutions.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Absolute nightmare........ Sold our house in 5 weeks, and sale has been really smooth. We found a fantastic house, we had a few issues with finance due to broker problems - in the end we lost the house due to the laid back and incompetent attitude of the broker.
Have found another house after being under extreme pressure and had to have less than a 30 day settlement due to time pressures, (settle Tuesday 8th hopefully), again almost didn't complete the finance clause in time due to casual attitude at bank (ditched the broker and went direct).
This has been the most stressful month of our life, much harder than any other move we have made before.
Annie
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:01 am
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

Nightmare,

i looked at some brokers, then thought no, they missed the point, that they were working and didnt give that impression at all.

Got the feeling they thought they were big time charlies, i put them under interview type questions soon as they walked throught the door, under the pump,

all full of shit, flash harrys, so I went direct to bank,

it was a pleasure, bank manager was spot, on, did everything for me, expalined whole process, no a problem thats the only person i have dealt with too is the bank manager and his assistant.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours went as smooth as anything!!

We didnt have our money from the UK yet, which could have potentially caused major problems but we got a Mortgage Choice broker out and he was FANTASTIC!! He arranged 1st Home Owners grant for us as well as a Deposit bond(like deposit insurance) and he explained everything from wo to go! Also we had a brilliant conveyencer who also went through all the contracts with us and really made us feel like she was looking out for our interests.

Couldnt have been happier with how things went for our very first house purchase...
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:49 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours went very smooth with the NAB.
Only issue was that the survey we had done missed a few important points like all external sliding doors were fitted backwards (meaning that when open, even with flyscreen closed, bugs just walk around the side of them and hop straight in!)
Also didn't notice our neighbours electricity supply going over our garden. No big deal until they want us to cut our trees down. Their supply should not cross our garden.

House purchase from veiweing to moving in took 5 weeks including FIRB approval. 6 weeks if you inclde arranging the mortgage. In total, 9 weeks since we arrived here.

Much smoother but a lot more paperwork.

Andrew