Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So far, So good....kinda...

So far, So good....kinda...

Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So far, So good....kinda...

Well....We have left the UK. We flew from Heathrow yesterday and boy, what an emotional day for my Hubby. We had loads of friends and family show up at the airport for the farewell, and bless him, he didnt fare too well. By the time he got onto the plane, his eyes were swollen and he had literally gone through a box of mansized kleenex. It was heartbraking and I found myself wondering what I am doing, taking him away from all he has known. From all of his friends and family. I kept wondering am I doing the right thing? What if he hates living in Australia? What if he wants to come back to the UK in the future...I already know that I dont! The "what if's" were driving me nuts...still are. It was a pretty horrible day all round unfortunatly.

However, we are now in Florida. As we got closer the Hubby did start to perk up a little. We had a good nights sleep in a hotel just near Orlando airport and picked up our rental car this morning. We headed down to Ft Lauderdale. There was lots of broken fences, trees and roadsigns from the recent hurricanes but other than that, it seems like life as normal.

Have had a nice evening with our friend here in Ft Lauderdale, although its hard, knowing she has just lost her husband. Also hard as I see pictures of my friend who passed away all over the house. But it does feel nice being here, kinda closer to him somehow.

Anyway, we have swum in the pool, and had dinner and feeling quite content.

Here I thought the roller coaster stopped when you were finally on your way!! Dont bet on it!!

Will post again when I get the chance...

Luv to all

Hels
Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So far, So good....kinda...

Hi again

That like me with all my family comeing to the airport saying there good byes was heartbreking. my mum, and sister with her young son james and than my my bother with is wife and 2 kids sarah and natasha who are 15 and 12 yearsold,james is 18 years old.It was upsetting kids trying to be very good cally trying to win my mum a teddy for her which he did,plus pauls dad and girlfriend came as well.
On the plane was ok me with red eyes but i thought i did very well.
cally and shannon did great there cryed but not that must.
Tell hubby it well be fine just like me.
Its like you and paul you are at home now but we feel lost a bit of me does like morecambe was my hometown and it well be for ever.
it early days but i hope i well like it here.
Going swimming with the dolphin on sunday yep looking forward to that.
Take care
love
ANN MARIE

Last edited by Paul&Ann-Marie; Sep 16th 2004 at 2:41 am.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:24 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi Hels

Glad to hear you are on your way, and sorry to hear about Hubby feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Tell him that we all feel that way on the trip over here - it is such a big step, after all, when you actually come to take it!

Hope you both feel less in turmoil when you get here, anyway. We are just moving into spring here in Melbourne, which I always think is a cheering time of year and a good time to start over somewhere new.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Hels

Hope you have a great time in Florida.

I felt the same when him outdoors arrived over here. I know that his parents took it really well when we told them we were moving here, even though I was taking their son and only grandchild 10,000 miles away!

And I also had doubts as to whether he was going to like it over here, as he doesn't really get on that well with the really hot weather. But he's really enjoyed it so far, had only been here a week when we had some really hot 40 degree weather, and he survived quite well!!

Looking forward to catching up with you when you visit Melbourne.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Have a great time in Florida - I love that place and miss Disney more than the UK!!

I hope things settle down for you soon , it is early days yet so Hubby is bound to be a bit down for a while.

Good luck with your new life.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 8:46 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hels,

Look on the positive side, you've just gone through the toughest thing we have to do in this migration lark. Saying goodbye to loved ones is crap. None of us that are planning to migrate look forward to that part. But, you've done it. You can now help and support your friend when she needs you and then off to your new life....

I wish you both all the best.

Take care.

D D

PS Plus, just think how many people are still here wanting to be in your shoes!!!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you've got the hard bit over.

Don't get hit by anymore hurricanes. Hope friend is ok and happy to see you. Have a really good holiday in Florida.

Hear from you soon.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hels
Well....We have left the UK. We flew from Heathrow yesterday and boy, what an emotional day for my Hubby. We had loads of friends and family show up at the airport for the farewell, and bless him, he didnt fare too well. By the time he got onto the plane, his eyes were swollen and he had literally gone through a box of mansized kleenex. It was heartbraking and I found myself wondering what I am doing, taking him away from all he has known. From all of his friends and family. I kept wondering am I doing the right thing? What if he hates living in Australia? What if he wants to come back to the UK in the future...I already know that I dont! The "what if's" were driving me nuts...still are. It was a pretty horrible day all round unfortunatly.

However, we are now in Florida. As we got closer the Hubby did start to perk up a little. We had a good nights sleep in a hotel just near Orlando airport and picked up our rental car this morning. We headed down to Ft Lauderdale. There was lots of broken fences, trees and roadsigns from the recent hurricanes but other than that, it seems like life as normal.

Have had a nice evening with our friend here in Ft Lauderdale, although its hard, knowing she has just lost her husband. Also hard as I see pictures of my friend who passed away all over the house. But it does feel nice being here, kinda closer to him somehow.

Here I thought the roller coaster stopped when you were finally on your way!! Dont bet on it!!

Luv to all

Hels
Hiya
Glad to heat that all is well.
Have a great time.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels

Luv to all

Hels
Ah remeber it well. All our family came to the airport and we had champagne, before all breaking our hearts saying goodbye. We also got on to the plane looking like we had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson and people giving us very funny looks. But my best memory was taxi-ing to the run way and looking on top of one of the buildings and seeing a group of about 20 tiny people waving their heads off. My husband at first had to be convinced it was indeed our family. well that set us off again all five of us bawling our eyes out, while laughing at our mad families. The family were chuffed to bits when they knew we had see them on the building.

Hopefully the worst is over for your hubby for awhile, he will miss everyone (as we do) but we just try and keep ourselves in constant contact. All we have to look forward to now is visitors...........but then more goodbyes

Steph x
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

glad everything is good now helen, its a shame we could not meet up before you went but it was nice to here from you on the phone last monday before you went.

i'm looking forward to our holiday and visa validation on 22nd of october and so is angela and the kids but i know that i will have the same 'trouble' when we move hopefully in january(if not sooner, the house is coming on well now).

as soon as you get yourself sorted then send us your new e-mail address and phone number and keep in touch as i know this will help angela when we move as it may help paul when we get there.

when we are over on holiday make sure we meet up for a beer or two. take care both and see you on the other side.......sean
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much to everyone that posted. I have had the hubby sitting here reading what you have all been through and he said it definatly helps to know he isnt the only one. He says it is a little easier now, but then at the moment, we are on holiday. The reality wont really set in until we are in Oz and he is trying to find a job and really begin to live there.

anypan...Sean, I agree it was such a shame that we ran out of time to get to Wales to see you guys. But we have met, and I had a great day in London getting soaked with you guys. We are both looking forward to spending as much time as we can when you guys get to Melbourne in Oct. Dont worry, you wont get rid of us that easy!!

DollyDaydream....I agree, we have been through one of the toughest parts of the whole process so far and I know we are lucky to already be on the way. It was just hard seeing the Hubby so upset and I felt responsible for his hurt. They were feelings I hadnt prepared myself for.

JayKay..Thanks for that. I know that some think the spouse visas are the easy ones and that it can be pretty smooth sailing and all, but I wasnt prepared for the emotions at the airport that I felt as the partner taking the other away from their friends and family. I hope that by posting how I felt, it might prepare others that are in the same situation. I am really looking forward to meeting you when we get there eventually as well!! Should be a giggle

Paul & Ann-Marie You guys sound like things are going really well for you guys. I will PM you guys when I get a chance in response to your PM, Ann-Marie....xxx

A little bit of a US update: We had a good day today. We went to a supermarket here, they are awesome!! You go to the deli's and you can just about try everything before you buy. They were forcing cheese and the yummiest roast beef I have ever tried at us left and right! We almost didnt need to have lunch.

The cashier though....wow..what can I say, it was a truely religious experience going through her checkout!! Not a word of a lie, she was telling us she loved us, and telling us what beautiful people we were and she counted out every last cent of change. I honestly cannot describe accuratley enough on here to give a good idea of how bizarre this woman was. Our friend who we are visiting says she is notorious around these parts and most people do all they can to avoid her aisle as she is so slow because she goes on and on so much. I just walked out shaking my head and laughing...

As they say....only in America!!