British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   So far so good (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/so-far-so-good-316504/)

tracyd Jul 28th 2005 3:17 am

So far so good

Hi all,
We're back on line for the first time since arriving in Perth. Thanks for all the good luck messages when I posted 'we're off next week'.

We've been here 2 weeks now. We stayed with my aunt and uncle when we first arrived but moved into a short term let in Quinns on Saturday. I bought my aunts car the first day we were here as she had just bought herself a new one, and I now have a WA Drivers licence. We have found the house we want to buy and are due to move in 31 August. We tranferred our money through Hifx and that came through to our Oz bank account on the same day Hifx sent it, so no problems with that.

My 8 yr old daughter started school on Tuesday. Tuesday morning she was really nervous (understandable). After 3 days at her new school she is loving it. All the other kids are really friendly and have made her really welcome and she really likes her new teacher. She has already got a part in a play her class are doing next week and this morning we watched her complete her first cross country run (2 laps round the oval) at school. Her teacher has noticed that she is already losing her English accent!

We are still sorting out what to do with our 16 yr old son. They are so many options for him but we think to help him settle and make friends that school would be the best option.

My husband, Alex, also has a few options workwise, and is deciding now which option is best (go self employed and sub contract or work for someone else for a while, he's had a few offers of work after only looking for one week). He came over as a landscaper on the skills assessment, but does mainly hardlandscaping, especially brickpaving. He has done other construction work in the past and so had many options. There seems to be loads of work for anyone in the construction industry. He has decided to do tiling (something else he has done in the past. He offered his services for free for a couple of days to learn how they did things over here, and the tiler he was working with was impressed enough to offer him a job, and give him contacts if he wanted to go sub contract). Tilers are on better rates over here than brick pavers so that just about swung it for him. Either way, he's starting work on Monday (just has decide who's offer to take).

We're all settling in absolutely fine and feel very much at home already. Everything seems to have gone so smoothly so far and I feel really lucky. The only major thing to worry about next I suppose is our furniture arriving safely. The ship is due to arrive in Fremantle next week, so hopefully all will be ok and we should have our furniture ready for when we move into our new house in a few weeks time. We have used Eagle Relocations, so will let you know how we get on when it arrives.

Sorry for rambling on so long but wanted to put in as much info as poss for anyone in similar situation (worries over kids settling in, same sort of jobs, or using same companies etc).

Good luck to everyone still trying to get here, hope it all works out for you soon

Tracy

floweroscotland Jul 28th 2005 3:28 am

Re: So far so good

Glad everything is going so well Tracy, you sound like you and your family have really settled already, well done :)

Lisa

Originally Posted by tracyd
Hi all,
We're back on line for the first time since arriving in Perth. Thanks for all the good luck messages when I posted 'we're off next week'.

We've been here 2 weeks now. We stayed with my aunt and uncle when we first arrived but moved into a short term let in Quinns on Saturday. I bought my aunts car the first day we were here as she had just bought herself a new one, and I now have a WA Drivers licence. We have found the house we want to buy and are due to move in 31 August. We tranferred our money through Hifx and that came through to our Oz bank account on the same day Hifx sent it, so no problems with that.

My 8 yr old daughter started school on Tuesday. Tuesday morning she was really nervous (understandable). After 3 days at her new school she is loving it. All the other kids are really friendly and have made her really welcome and she really likes her new teacher. She has already got a part in a play her class are doing next week and this morning we watched her complete her first cross country run (2 laps round the oval) at school. Her teacher has noticed that she is already losing her English accent!

We are still sorting out what to do with our 16 yr old son. They are so many options for him but we think to help him settle and make friends that school would be the best option.

My husband, Alex, also has a few options workwise, and is deciding now which option is best (go self employed and sub contract or work for someone else for a while, he's had a few offers of work after only looking for one week). He came over as a landscaper on the skills assessment, but does mainly hardlandscaping, especially brickpaving. He has done other construction work in the past and so had many options. There seems to be loads of work for anyone in the construction industry. He has decided to do tiling (something else he has done in the past. He offered his services for free for a couple of days to learn how they did things over here, and the tiler he was working with was impressed enough to offer him a job, and give him contacts if he wanted to go sub contract). Tilers are on better rates over here than brick pavers so that just about swung it for him. Either way, he's starting work on Monday (just has decide who's offer to take).

We're all settling in absolutely fine and feel very much at home already. Everything seems to have gone so smoothly so far and I feel really lucky. The only major thing to worry about next I suppose is our furniture arriving safely. The ship is due to arrive in Fremantle next week, so hopefully all will be ok and we should have our furniture ready for when we move into our new house in a few weeks time. We have used Eagle Relocations, so will let you know how we get on when it arrives.

Sorry for rambling on so long but wanted to put in as much info as poss for anyone in similar situation (worries over kids settling in, same sort of jobs, or using same companies etc).

Good luck to everyone still trying to get here, hope it all works out for you soon

Tracy

steandleigh Jul 28th 2005 3:29 am

Great to hear you are all settling in so well. :)

Simone Jul 28th 2005 3:41 am

Oh, good one, things working out very nicely!! :)

Are you coming to the girls night out at The Burswood on Sat 13th of August?
The thread is on page 2 or 3 I think.
Meeting at Paddy Hannan's pub from 7.30 pm.

Larissa Jul 28th 2005 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Simone

OOOOh yeah, you must come :D
Glad to hear you are settling in well.

Bix Jul 28th 2005 10:42 am

So far so good Tracy.

Hope that continues for you all and thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Anne4Terry Jul 28th 2005 11:15 am

Hi all,

Tracy

Great to see you are all settling in well and everything is falling into place. I love posts like this. Helps to make things a bit more realistic :)

debilloyd Jul 28th 2005 11:31 am

Hi all,

Tracy

Really pleased you are settling in so well Tracy and very impressed at the speed that you have everything organised.

tiredwithtwins Jul 28th 2005 3:04 pm

congratulations on surviving the first couple of weeks!!
hope you continue to enjoy your new life!!

sue x :D

tracyd Jul 29th 2005 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Simone

Sounds good, I will definately try to make it

Tracy