Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So come on then....what did you think of the NZ Expo?

So come on then....what did you think of the NZ Expo?

Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So come on then....what did you think of the NZ Expo?

Surprised no ones posted anything yet

Going tomorrow, any one been today(Sat)? and what did you think?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

hi Darren,

We went to the expo at Sandown earlier this year. To be honest neither of us felt we learnt anything that we didnt already know. Some of the questions asked of the immigration officer during the seminar were embarrising to say the least. We did however visit the PSS stand and got our £50 discount voucher. We felt the show was geared more to Europe and Australia. We enjoyed our day out but as I said earlier we had researched so much over the internet that we didnt learn anything new.

What did you think?

Helen
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:05 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Went today (Sunday) it was packed. Got loads of leaflets, was pleased to see they were looking for people in my type of work. Immigration stand helped alot. Spoke to a guy on an investment stand, the one with a free trip to New Zealand prize. He was really helpful and was able to give us a better picture of the size of New Zealand etc.

Although I am always on the WEB (hense my name) I still felt it was worth going.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We just got back (went to the expo yesterday, but made aweekend of it as Mum had the kids) we only actually stayed about 45 minutes - had a scout round, noted where the stands were we were interested in were, then targeted them, it was really packed Saturday too, spoke to the people on the Taranaki stand about welding jobs for hubby, got my name down at the teaching recruitment stand, got our questions answered at the NZIS stand and basically did everything we wanted to more or less straight away, left us with the rest of the day to do what we wanted! it was well worth it for us.

there were loads of healthcare recruitment people there (not just agencies either), so if it's the same next year, it would be well worth anyone in that field going to secure that job offer.

nell
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7/10

If I had to give marks for my own "personal" view of the Expo.

If I was a Nurse, Welder, Engineer, Teacher, Carpenter, Electrician, any tradesman, then you would have marked it 10/10, because the regional reps where crying out to talk to you.

I was starting to have a good conversation with a Dunedin rep but as soon as I mentioned IT, then the conversation was wound up pretty quickly as I was not what they were looking for.

I found the Wellington reps where great, one who had emigrated from California was lovely, couldn't help enough, same for an Electronics Company(Canterbury), even though not my trade they talked about CCHCH etc.

The only region I missed was the Southland, wished I spoken to someone there, if anyone did then what did they think?

The IT recruitment Duncan & Ryan were pretty good in filling me in on what's going to be required by potential employers, so it confirmed what I've got to do.

Dissappointed in the "Immigration Seminar", the immigration rep still didn't have any real confirmation of what the new skilled rules are going to be, even though its changing in Nov/Dec

Glad I went, needed to go to one of these Expos for myself.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

We went on sat. Venue was too small, too many people and way too hot. We've done extensive research on the 'net about NZ and so didn't really learn a great deal. It was probably worth it though as we got some interesting leaflet and company leads. My wife is a nurse and she was offered jobs there and then!!. If I can't get in as an electronics engineer then we may use her. We only ended up staying for about 1hour in the end.
Tony

Last edited by reevsie; Oct 20th 2003 at 12:31 pm.