Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So another thread about credit in Aus...

So another thread about credit in Aus...

Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:01 am
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all
Default So another thread about credit in Aus...

Hi,

I have read loads of post on credit and mortgages for immigrants in Aus, and overall does not seem to bad.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to get car finance during the early days of your new life? i was thinking about leasing a car but unsure as to whether this would be easy to do or not with no credit history in Aus.

Anyone ever tried?

Thanks Gary
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:00 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So another thread about credit in Aus...

You are going out on a 457 visa, right? In which case you'll have a job to go to (from your other post).

If you can provide proof from your employer that you have a job earning $xxx, you shouldn't have a problem getting a car loan.

Gina
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi,

I have read loads of post on credit and mortgages for immigrants in Aus, and overall does not seem to bad.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to get car finance during the early days of your new life? i was thinking about leasing a car but unsure as to whether this would be easy to do or not with no credit history in Aus.

Anyone ever tried?

Thanks Gary
We bought a car with cash, but were offered finance before we bought it. We had only been in OZ 2 weeks. The catch was that we had to pay a higher interest rate because we had no credit history.
So basically...yes you can get it, but they will rip you off for giving you it.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:39 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Thanks folks, all positive
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi,

Anyone ever tried?

Thanks Gary
Leasing a car here is a pain - it's not like the UK, where you just rock up to a lease company, pay them a load of money and drive off...

Most leasing agreements are tied into your employer, and most seem to be aimed at actually owning the car at the end of the term, through a big baloon payment.

If the company doesn't do tax efficient purchases, then you will find it very difficult to lease a car.

S