Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so all your planning goes up in smoke

so all your planning goes up in smoke

Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:17 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default so all your planning goes up in smoke

after reading about bricklayers not be able to find work can someone please answer me this question..

if you get to oz and you cannot find work or you cannot adapt to working in your new job in your desired profession,are you not allowed to try a different job?

i keep reading about people who cannot find work,

i am a bricklayer but if i dont like laying bricks in oz,i will be off finding another source of income.selling cars,stacking shelves in the local supermarket,anything to put money on the table..is this not the case or do you have to stick to your relevant profession..

thanks.

aston
Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so all your planning goes up in smoke

Originally Posted by aston man
after reading about bricklayers not be able to find work can someone please answer me this question..

if you get to oz and you cannot find work or you cannot adapt to working in your new job in your desired profession,are you not allowed to try a different job?

i am a bricklayer but if i dont like laying bricks in oz,i will be off finding another source of income.selling cars,stacking shelves in the local supermarket,anything to put money on the table..is this not the case or do you have to stick to your relevant profession..

thanks.

aston
Yes you can go off and find different work - a great many people do. Unfortunately a lot of people maybe don't believe they have the skills for other work or love the work they do so much they don't want to change jobs.

I think some people sort of get "rabbits caught in the headlights" fear and decide that they don't know how to do something else.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:57 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

aston
Just remember to take a couple of water bottles to work you can refill on site as you need. Even in winter here you will work up a thirst pretty quickly doing that kind of work.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:59 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Just remember to take a couple of water bottles to work you can refill on site as you need. Even in winter here you will work up a thirst pretty quickly doing that kind of work.
Also, make sure you got a couple of pair of sunglasses (wrap round type are best) and yes, you need to wear them outdoors in winter too.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

depends on your visa type but a 136 you can do whatever you want wherever you want. Knowing you're heading this way though you'd have to be extremely cr@p at laying bricks not to get a job. Think they're quoting 13 months plus to build houses now due to lack of tradies
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

aston

It's people like you, who are happy to adapt their skills to earn money, that make it here. The problem with too many Brits is they come over here with their particular skills/profession and when they can't get a job start moaning about what an awful place Australia is.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As a bricklayer you shouldn't have any problem finding work. There are other occupations on the SOL that are maybe in demand, but the jobs are not easy to find. My husband is an Engineering Electronics Technician and has been out of work for 13 of the 18 weeks we've been here. The few weeks he worked were spent pulling cable for security systems at an alarm company. Kind of not his field, so he was bad at it and got sacked. Anyway, it's not a moan about how crap Australia is at all. It's more that if you are willing to try then you should be ok.