Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snowboarding/skiing in oz - what is it like?

Snowboarding/skiing in oz - what is it like?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

mrandmissus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snowboarding/skiing in oz - what is it like?

Hi guys - what is the skiing like in OZ - what are the prices in comparison to Europe and does it compare to France or the European alps, what are the best resorts/places to go?

I would appreciate any replies, I stayed in a hostel in France a few areas ago and my roommates were from Qld and they said skiing sucked compared to Europe.

Really hope that isn't the case

Thanks x
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snowboarding/skiing in oz - what is it like?

First time I ever skiid was in OZ - Mount Kosciousco I think - stayed somewhere near Jidabayne or Thredbo - season is very short - therefore very expensive for ski passes accomodation etc as they have to make their money over a short period of time. But we loved it - must be one of the few places in the world where you can ski in T-Shirts because it was so warm! It was toward the end of the season mind - only a couple of hundred feet of snow at the top of the mountain. There were quit a few people cross country skiing too.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:51 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

I asked a similar question a while back and got quite a few responses. Have a look: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493691

I think it depends on where your going to be. If your within driving range then it's a bonus. I think by the time we'd flown from Townsville to Sydney to snowboard, we would probably be just as better of flying to NZ or Japan...

There is no way you can compare the snowboarding / snow / resorts of France to Sydney I'm affriad.

I've been getting as many trips in as possible in preparation for the possible few years it'll be before I get to see snow again. 2 weeks away last season, and I'm away for a week in France in 2 weeks, and then away again for a week in Italy in 8 - get in!

(My snowboards are still coming with me to Aus though! )
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

mrandmissus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys - in all fairness this may be the deal breaker between Oz and NZ because it is a passion of ours. All own equipment etc.. going to Austria at Easter, we got married there 4 years ago and easter sunday is our anniversary and we will be back in the town we got wed in so am VERY excited!

Where are you guys off to next?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:24 pm

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

I'm secretly 'praying' that I land a job at a school that has 'ski trips' and can get involved. The two schools I visited last August both ran trips to NZ...

I'm trading off my love of snow for that of two wheels. Although I might not get to see snow as much as I do now (once or twice a year for a week), the better weather means I'll get to ride my mountain bike more often - something I could easily do on a weekly, if not daily basis without having to spend hours cleaning it after each ride...

I'd be ok if there were any surf in North Queensland, shame the barrier reef is in the way. Kite surfing could be a goer though...

We're in 3 Vallies, France for Feb half term with friends, and then I'm leading a trip of 44 12-15 year olds to Bormino in Italy at Easter.

I've already warned the guys going with me that the last day in Italy might be a bit emotional/tearful...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:31 pm

Todays "Ski Sunday" has a report of a snowboarder driving between Aus Ski resorts. I missed the begining, and it's still on so I'm waiting for the next part. But I thought you might be interested if you didn't know about it already.

If you have missed it, you might be able to get in on www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well the snow fields are a good long way from Sydney!!!! About 5 - 6 hours drive all depending on whether you break the speed limit or not.

Quite a different style from the Alps but we have been having some good snow seasons despite dire global warming predictions. There are some very good courses and we have hosted, IIRC, some world boarding competitions. There are snow bunnies who work the Aussie season then hop over to US for their snow and then come back again.

Obviously the extent of the snowfields is going to be limited but there are resorts in both NSW and Victoria during the season. Many Sydneysiders have shares in Lodges and pop down for the weekends.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:34 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrandmissus
Thanks guys - in all fairness this may be the deal breaker between Oz and NZ because it is a passion of ours. All own equipment etc.. going to Austria at Easter, we got married there 4 years ago and easter sunday is our anniversary and we will be back in the town we got wed in so am VERY excited!

Where are you guys off to next?
Hey, I'm an Australian, was living i the UK for 4 years until August last year when returned home.

Skiing here can be really good - can also be patchy. most ski resorts are on the NSW/Vic border and can get there in about 9 hours comfortable drive from Sydney. I used to work until lunch thrsday, drive down thursday arvo, ski fri, sat and sunday, drive home sunday night ready for work on monday! UUsed to do that 6-8 times a season. In one season I had more days on the snow than a friend of mine who LIVED in the snow for a year!!

Obivusly a lot of people do this as well so friday arvo/sunday arvo traffic can be hell, and the slopes are mush busier than you would like.

In a good season, the snow can be comaprable to places I have skiied in France - althogh the seasons can be patchy - the best is late in the season (Sept/Oct) when you can often get light dustings of new snow overnight, followed by sunny days to ski. Nothing like early mornign skiing in a t-shirt and sunnies (although it can tend to get slushy!).

The other options is trips to NZ.

NZ is much better at having flight/transfer/accommodation deals than Aust. I would suggest living in Austrlia and perhaps doing a few trips to NZ each year - with the exchange rate it also makes it pretty affordable (it can be expensive in Australia, although comparible in price to more exclusire resurts in europe).

Doing trips to NZ from Sydney would be comparible to trips from the UK to the Alps etc.

Australia is the only place where I have skiied on a Saturday, decided that the snow wasn't good enough so went home to go surfing on Sunday....its what makes life great!! Australia has everything on your doorstep