Snowboarding

Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfurious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snowboarding

This, I'm fairly sure, hasn't been brought up before.

I'm considering a move to Perth from the UK, however the one thing that is playing on my mind is that I love snowboarding and have enjoyed many good holidays in the Alps which I'd really miss.

I've seen that you can snowboard in parts of Oz and New Zealand and wanted to know how much such trips would be from Perth? As well as how they compare to the Alps?

Also I wondered if snowboarders/skiers from Perth go elsewhere like Japan?

Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Snowboarding

when I lived in sydney ( born and lived to my 13th ) we went to falls creek and mt hothem in Vic.... now living in europe I look forward getting to the alps or austria every winter. I usually board 1 full week and 3 or 4 weekends a year now. The mountains in OZ are like a small austrian villages with 10-15 lifts and 50km of slopes, but still no where as good. Skiing in OZ is alot more expensive than europe. Japan or NZ would be the best option IMHO....
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
This, I'm fairly sure, hasn't been brought up before.

I'm considering a move to Perth from the UK, however the one thing that is playing on my mind is that I love snowboarding and have enjoyed many good holidays in the Alps which I'd really miss.

I've seen that you can snowboard in parts of Oz and New Zealand and wanted to know how much such trips would be from Perth? As well as how they compare to the Alps?

Also I wondered if snowboarders/skiers from Perth go elsewhere like Japan?

Thanks
You couldn't be located in a worst place in the world if your passion is skiing.

I wouldn't bother with either NZ or Oz. The time it will take for you to get to either and the poor quality of conditions in both places not to mention that Australia is the most expensive place to ski on the planet make Japan are far more attractive option.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We love skiing, Europe and Australia. Perth isn't the best location but not impossible.

However .... I'd suggest buying a wakeboard! Youngest son has swapped and at this rate he could go a long way! He's only 9 and brilliant, very similar to snowboarding apparently.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys that's good info on Japan and Wakeboarding - I'm also toying with the idea of kite surfing but nothing draws me like snow!!
Any other possible destinations within reach of Perth?
I may just try and tie it in with a visit home every year.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

you'll love kite surfing, once you've got all the kit and have some lesson's it's better than boarding.... wetsuit/boardies on, ye gear with you, nice secluded beach and a esky filled with a few beers for when your packing up......
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys that's good info on Japan and Wakeboarding - I'm also toying with the idea of kite surfing but nothing draws me like snow!!
Any other possible destinations within reach of Perth?
I may just try and tie it in with a visit home every year.
Think of it this way. You fly 4-5 hours to Syd Melb or Canberra. Canberra is about an hour from the slopes, Syd 5 and Melb about 3.

Japan well, whatever the flight time is to Tokyo, change planes, another 2 hours to Sapporo, jump on a bus, another 2 hours to snow.

So not really. Either way your on the wakeboard most weekends.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Blewyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Oz the message I'm getting over and over is Japan....
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blewyn
Here in Oz the message I'm getting over and over is Japan....
If you like deep powder ... yes ..... if you like long runs, heated chair lifts, and top Austrian style apre ski ...... NO ..... lots of angry Aussie bogans too, who give tourists crap for coming to ski in their town. Clearly they don't look very Japanese.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you like deep powder ... yes ..... if you like long runs, heated chair lifts, and top Austrian style apre ski ...... NO ..... lots of angry Aussie bogans too, who give tourists crap for coming to ski in their town. Clearly they don't look very Japanese.
Yes I'm after long runs and plenty of choice.
Hearing lots about these Aussie bogans! So are you saying Japan IS or ISN'T like an Austrian resort?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Blewyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Bogans in Japan ?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I'm after long runs and plenty of choice.
Hearing lots about these Aussie bogans! So are you saying Japan IS or ISN'T like an Austrian resort?
There is nothing like an Austrian resort other than in Austria. Where else on this earth do you get fast heated chair lifts, that are all under 10 years old, where there are party bars dotted all over the mountain, and a "keg" of beer is cheaper than a pint in France. Nothing beats Austria for a ski holiday.

Japan doesn't really have long runs. In fact it's mountains in the north around Sapporo are only about 1000 or so metres high. The infrastructure is very old and slow (check the single chair at Niseko) and the party life is dull. But what Japan does offer is deep powder ...... there's so much snow .... too much sometimes.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
There is nothing like an Austrian resort other than in Austria. Where else on this earth do you get fast heated chair lifts, that are all under 10 years old, where there are party bars dotted all over the mountain, and a "keg" of beer is cheaper than a pint in France. Nothing beats Austria for a ski holiday.

Japan doesn't really have long runs. In fact it's mountains in the north around Sapporo are only about 1000 or so metres high. The infrastructure is very old and slow (check the single chair at Niseko) and the party life is dull. But what Japan does offer is deep powder ...... there's so much snow .... too much sometimes.
I'm off to Ishgl in Jan - cant wait!
It looks like the best option would still be to just link in a trip home at Christmas with a trip to Europe.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm off to Ishgl in Jan - cant wait!
It looks like the best option would still be to just link in a trip home at Christmas with a trip to Europe.
oooohhhh ishgl... we're off to zillertal & gerlos this year( once with the lads, and the other with the family)..... but I'll trade that in to be back in oz any day ..... another 3 winters to enjoy here and then it'll be kite surfing and the occasional trip home, with a snowboarding trip in there somewhere
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
oooohhhh ishgl... we're off to zillertal & gerlos this year( once with the lads, and the other with the family)..... but I'll trade that in to be back in oz any day ..... another 3 winters to enjoy here and then it'll be kite surfing and the occasional trip home, with a snowboarding trip in there somewhere
2 trips -nice!! I try for that every year and I've only managed it once.

How come you have to wait before heading back?

So how does kite surfing compare to boarding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.