Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snorkelling around Brisbane

Snorkelling around Brisbane

Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:24 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Snorkelling around Brisbane

Normally go diving but have a mate who can't, so want some advice on best places to snorkel around Brisbane that are not part of a comerciall tour/trip and easy to get to by car then foot.

Anyone got any favourites on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast etc..
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snorkelling around Brisbane

Originally Posted by annqldau
Normally go diving but have a mate who can't, so want some advice on best places to snorkel around Brisbane that are not part of a comerciall tour/trip and easy to get to by car then foot.

Anyone got any favourites on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast etc..
Hubby and kids snorkel off Noosa. Currents very unpredictable tho, locals nickname it 'the washing machine' cos you get tossed about so much. Have to be a strong swimmer as I found out on the day we affectionately refer to as 'the day I nearly died'!!! We've also done a lot of snorkelling off the wrecks at Tangalooma on Moreton Island. There are also wrecks at Bulwer and the lake is pretty good there too! I would say Noosa North Shore and Rainbow Beach, however hubby got stalked by shark there, big bugger, so its a no go area now!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hubby and kids snorkel off Noosa. Currents very unpredictable tho, locals nickname it 'the washing machine' cos you get tossed about so much. Have to be a strong swimmer as I found out on the day we affectionately refer to as 'the day I nearly died'!!! We've also done a lot of snorkelling off the wrecks at Tangalooma on Moreton Island. There are also wrecks at Bulwer and the lake is pretty good there too! I would say Noosa North Shore and Rainbow Beach, however hubby got stalked by shark there, big bugger, so its a no go area now!
Have dived the Tangalooma wrecks but the downside to snorkelling is paying for ferry across just want a cheap day so we can have coffee and lunch as well. We have had some of those 'day we nearly died' times diving as well like getting washed into the shipping channel in Egypt they are fun...not.

Went boarding off Noosa but current wasn't too bad at that time.

Did hubby get stalked at North Shore or Rainbow???
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Have dived the Tangalooma wrecks but the downside to snorkelling is paying for ferry across just want a cheap day so we can have coffee and lunch as well. We have had some of those 'day we nearly died' times diving as well like getting washed into the shipping channel in Egypt they are fun...not.

Went boarding off Noosa but current wasn't too bad at that time.

Did hubby get stalked at North Shore or Rainbow???
Rainbow but the leopard and grey nurse sharks are off both rainbow, double isl point and north shore. How far north are you prepared to go? Took us an hour to get to Rainbow from Peregian. What you need is a smaller cay or something just to have a snorkel in shallow waters. Most of the places around here are quite rocky. Have asked hubby, he can't think of anywhere appropriate. Prob with Noosa is there are pretty fish, but thats it! No coral, just rocks. I'd save energy and time and just go for a coffee! Maybe a nice bush walk and swim in rock pool. Have you tried the new walk they've opened at Kondilia Falls NP? Its 50kms through the rainforest alongside the river. We just did 4km (moaning kids in tow) but the rock pool was great for a quick dip. Afterwards we stopped at Mapleton for a coffee and just chilled out.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:15 am

Rainbow but the leopard and grey nurse sharks are off both rainbow, double isl point and north shore. How far north are you prepared to go? Took us an hour to get to Rainbow from Peregian. What you need is a smaller cay or something just to have a snorkel in shallow waters. Most of the places around here are quite rocky. Have asked hubby, he can't think of anywhere appropriate. Prob with Noosa is there are pretty fish, but thats it! No coral, just rocks. I'd save energy and time and just go for a coffee! Maybe a nice bush walk and swim in rock pool. Have you tried the new walk they've opened at Kondilia Falls NP? Its 50kms through the rainforest alongside the river. We just did 4km (moaning kids in tow) but the rock pool was great for a quick dip. Afterwards we stopped at Mapleton for a coffee and just chilled out.
It's on our list of things to do but haven't got round to it... Kondilia Falls that is.

Don't want to go on a bus trip was after somewhere reasonable local to Brisbane really.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

It's on our list of things to do but haven't got round to it... Kondilia Falls that is.

Don't want to go on a bus trip was after somewhere reasonable local to Brisbane really.
southbank it is then! someone must know of places around there. I can't think of any What about off Coochi island off vicky point? Short ferry ride (5 mins) doesn't cost a fortune and there's a cafe at vicky point for a hot drink afterwards?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and kids snorkel off Noosa. Currents very unpredictable tho, locals nickname it 'the washing machine' cos you get tossed about so much. Have to be a strong swimmer as I found out on the day we affectionately refer to as 'the day I nearly died'!!!
Bloody hell woman :scared: couple of surfers have died off of there and a 12 year old kid last year, he was only waist deep.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:37 am

Cool Re: Snorkelling around Brisbane

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Bloody hell woman :scared: couple of surfers have died off of there and a 12 year old kid last year, he was only waist deep.
Was it the previously mentioned shark or the rip?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Was it the previously mentioned shark or the rip?
Rips.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
see NOW people tell us!!!! Got the same reaction when I went into work and told them of 'the day I nearly died'!!! I'm sure someone uttered 'silly pom' but I can't be sure
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

see NOW people tell us!!!! Got the same reaction when I went into work and told them of 'the day I nearly died'!!! I'm sure someone uttered 'silly pom' but I can't be sure

OMG you heard that

Ann,
Not much to see snorkeling at Rainbow beach just loads of sand and the odd Dart or Sand Flathead.
There's some excellent snorkeling out where G's planning his shore dive......whoops
Failing that a little further afield up at Hervey Bay there's some excellent snorkeling: hard and soft corals and loads of fish I went in today for a quick look Brr rrrrrrrrr roll on summer.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cresta57
OMG you heard that

Ann,
Not much to see snorkeling at Rainbow beach just loads of sand and the odd Dart or Sand Flathead.
There's some excellent snorkeling out where G's planning his shore dive......whoops
Failing that a little further afield up at Hervey Bay there's some excellent snorkeling: hard and soft corals and loads of fish I went in today for a quick look Brr rrrrrrrrr roll on summer.
mind you its going to be raining all week according to the old faithful BBC weather forecast! Some excellent snorkelling up at Bundy too maybe a tad too far. I'm tellin you, its gonna be Southbank
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:24 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

mind you its going to be raining all week according to the old faithful BBC weather forecast! Some excellent snorkelling up at Bundy too maybe a tad too far. I'm tellin you, its gonna be Southbank
I hope it rains all week and all the next week GB You've seen how dry it is up here. Even the Muster had a total fire ban, it usually pours down there We're waiting for a backburn, as it's getting to peak fire season I'm guessing they've left it to late.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hope it rains all week and all the next week GB You've seen how dry it is up here. Even the Muster had a total fire ban, it usually pours down there We're waiting for a backburn, as it's getting to peak fire season I'm guessing they've left it to late.
talking of fire season, took some snaps today from Emu mountain of the bush fire at Peregian. It was still smouldering away yesterday morning. The good thing about this country is it regenerates quickly. Such a shame as theres a great raised walkway through the marsh to the beach - well there 'was'. Will try and attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Snorkelling around Brisbane-peregianbushfire1.jpg   Snorkelling around Brisbane-peregianbushfire2.jpg   Snorkelling around Brisbane-peregianbushfire5.jpg  
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:24 pm

OMG you heard that

Ann,
Hope I'm on that shore dive??? Will interigate him ASAP.
As for the rain we haven't had any either and def getting crispy around here now. At least we know now what to do after our evening out at the bush fire presentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.