Snobs

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:16 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
I suppose the point is that Australia is a big country and yet it is highly urbanised with the majority of the people living on the coast in the cities. You will get to know 'the Australian PEOPLE' more in the city (over 90% of them reside there). However you will get to know the Australian COUNTRYSIDE 'in the bush' (it's almost 100% of the land area).

I am not suggesting that the minority who live outside the city aren't different, friendlier or whatever, just that they are the minority (they probably are friendlier and certainly different - I lived in Bendigo for 5 years, Melbourne for 25 years so I have some idea). I'm not sure what I'm really saying now I come to think of it!!

TennisOz

]

I see where you're coming from though. Maybe the point is that the aussies are a varied lot, as is their culture, their countryside and their cities. Just got to find the bit you like the best and leave it at that
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:43 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by bundy
]

I see where you're coming from though. Maybe the point is that the aussies are a varied lot, as is their culture, their countryside and their cities. Just got to find the bit you like the best and leave it at that
Exactly, and don't purport to know from your little bit about a whole country and a whole population on the basis of your (not you literally Bundy!) limited experience.

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:49 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Exactly, and don't purport to know from your little bit about a whole country and a whole population on the basis of your (not you literally Bundy!) limited experience.

TennisOz
Indeed. It pays to be open-minded.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

<i>Typos occur less to touch typists because they are looking at their post as it appears on the screen rather than 'hunting and pecking' at the keyboard!</i>

The problem is, once you've developed a fast enough bad habit, using a typing tutor program isn't enough to get you up to enough speed to switch. My toddler isn't getting near a PC until he's old enough to learn to touch type from the start - even though I worry about RSI on little bones.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:27 pm
WBB

os waht si tihs tuohc tpyign tehn?

Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:17 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by welshboybilly
os waht si tihs tuohc tpyign tehn?

WBB

That's awl write

I have a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques for my revue,
Mistakes I cannot sea.

I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your plea's to no.
It's letter perfect in its weigh
My chequer told me sew.

A poem on my classroom wall about the dangers and pitfalls of using a Spellcheck

TennisOz

Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:21 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snobs

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have noted since i joined this board, that several people don't seem to realise just how snobbish they appear...of course, if thats how they wished to be perceived then fine by me, but, i do worry about them coming down here to the southern hemisphere.

I have found that here in NZ those who like to judge others by the clothes they wear, their "background", physical appearance or amount of money they have in the bank, get a very rough ride!!! I am pretty sure it will be pretty much the same in Aus.

The things that appear to be important in some social circles in UK, quite often will ostrocise them down here...maybe these people are the ones who don't "fit" in. I maybe wrong, i'll probably get a torrent of abuse too, for daring to suggest such a thing.

When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car, could just well be your downfall!!
P/P AUSTRALIA will be what ever you want to make it .BUT it wont be Britain...............
MM
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

The class system: There isn't really one in Oz,

Sorry folks but if you dig deep you'll find that Aussies do judge and discriminate . A lot come to the UK and have a fascination with our class system, where suddenly I find they are classifying people according to their upbringing, jobs and social class. To a level where most UK folk don't bother their arse.
I say this after being personally insulted with snobby comments because I am a midwife from Glasgow, where I am obviously being pigeon holed into their class order.
This from friends I have known for years before they travel over here.
They're like any other nation, they have their good and bad points.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Barbara 2003

I say this after being personally insulted with snobby comments because I am a midwife from Glasgow, where I am obviously being pigeon holed into their class order.
This from friends I have known for years before they travel over here.
No offence Barbara, but if you are saying that aussies insulted you & judged you because you are/were a midwife from Glasgow & were a certain class, how the hell did they do that? Most aussies wouldnt know if being a midwife from Glasgow was a good or a bad thing when it comes to the UK class system, I certainly dont & Ive been there!

Like I have said before, if these insults & attitudes come from friends, you need to find new friends! :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
No offence Barbara, but if you are saying that aussies insulted you & judged you because you are/were a midwife from Glasgow & were a certain class, how the hell did they do that? Most aussies wouldnt know if being a midwife from Glasgow was a good or a bad thing when it comes to the UK class system, I certainly dont & Ive been there!

Like I have said before, if these insults & attitudes come from friends, you need to find new friends! :scared:
Or am I completely confused & you mean aussies in the UK?
In which case its the english class system at work again, as I bet they wouldnt give 2 hoots or even know the difference before they go over there.

Either way, I still think you need new friends .
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:32 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by Donk
i think the word 'snob' is being used in the wrong context. The definition is

Snob

Snob n. 1. A vulgar person who affects to be better, richer, or more fashionable, than he really is; a vulgar upstart; one who apes his superiors. Thackeray.

My next door neighbour shops at Tesco, yet brings shopping home in Sainsburys bags. to me thats a snob.

My Australian born partner/girlfriend asked me to get her a Harrods bag the last time I went to England on holiday! I duly went to Harrods had lunch and bought a couple of cheap things. I convinced the girl at the check-out to give me a few plastic bags.

When I arrived back in Australia my girlfriend looked at my present and said "No - I wanted a material one!".

I think that snobbery is more rife in England than Australia but it does exist here.

Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:06 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

there sure is snobbery here in Queenstown.I've never been looked down upon as much since coming to NZ.It seems to exsist just in Queenstown as i've neverr found anything like this anywhere else in all the time we've been here.There is a culture of who's got the nicest vehicle too...they're all cruising around town trying to look flash.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 1:14 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, where there's money there will always be snobbery....

but deedee I see a difference in NZ vs the Uk.

In NZ everybody starts from more or less the same place, and anybody can join the flash car 'club' if they have enough money....

Whereas in the UK this is true to an extent, but the differences in your background are harder to shift. ie, you can be a top footballer with an flash car, live in the right place, have the right friends etc, but you'll always be 'working class'. The labels are worn like a badge - you don't get that so much in NZ. Some of it goes unspoken for sure - but it plays a much bigger part in British society.

Like which newspaper you read - that type of thing....
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Or am I completely confused & you mean aussies in the UK?
In which case its the english class system at work again, as I bet they wouldnt give 2 hoots or even know the difference before they go over there.

Either way, I still think you need new friends .

Ha ha .
Relax, lie down in a dark room, take big deep breaths, calm down dear.................

Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:42 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by jandjuk
you can be a top footballer with an flash car, live in the right place, have the right friends etc, but you'll always be 'working class'.
In the same respect a "working class" footballer done good will always be proud of where he comes from and will always help those from his back ground who want to get on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.