Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snobbery in Perth Real or Fake !!!!

I'd answer the question but I really don't want to lower myself.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:19 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

"I don't know anyone who rents who has been treated like shit by anyone because they rent their home. Including being treated badly by the people they rent from."

We were, but not in Perth, in Sydney. The agent was a horrible snob and just looked as us down her nose when we turned up to view the house - looked as though she'd trodden in something nasty....... until she found out my oh is a doctor and which school we were sending our kids to. Then she was our best friend. Hate it.

We moved to Perth in 1999 and decided to live in Nedlands because some friends had recommended it (no BE back then!) and told us the primary school was good. It was ok, but there was definitely a feeling that what you had was more important than who you were.
I was having a conversation with someone I'd just met and was asking if there were many English people around because I'd heard there were lots in Joondalup, but I hadn't met any in Nedlands. Her reply was "Oh, you wouldn't want to live up there. It is full of English people, but not the sort you'd want to mix with!"!

I don't think there's a class system as such, but in certain places there is an obsession with money and posessions which is just as bad.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have you ever stopped to think it could be you? I don't know anyone who rents who has been treated like shit by anyone because they rent their home. Including being treated badly by the people they rent from.
what another inciteful comment. no its not me or nobody else would feel the same
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:05 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, but pretentious southerners up their own arses.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Sorry, but pretentious southerners up their own arses.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:21 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Have you ever stopped to think it could be you? I don't know anyone who rents who has been treated like shit by anyone because they rent their home. Including being treated badly by the people they rent from.
Oh come on. There are loads of post on here talking about how people have been treated badly while they are renting.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
Oh come on. There are loads of post on here talking about how people have been treated badly while they are renting.
Nobody I've ever encountered in "real life", though. I can understand people complaining about treatment by their rental agent, but the general population being treated badly because they rent? Come on!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:13 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Nobody I've ever encountered in "real life", though. I can understand people complaining about treatment by their rental agent, but the general population being treated badly because they rent? Come on!
Ok, you did say "Including being treated badly by the people they rent from" though.

I was treated badly by a landlord who lied to me. He told me he didn't want me to move out at the end of my tenancy and I could extend it for another year, then gave me two weeks notice before the end of my tenancy.

I have also been met with snobbery by some people when I have told them I rent.

They say things like "oh. Couldn't you afford to buy?".
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you did say "Including being treated badly by the people they rent from" though.

I was treated badly by a landlord who lied to me. He told me he didn't want me to move out at the end of my tenancy and I could extend it for another year, then gave me two weeks notice before the end of my tenancy.

I have also been met with snobbery by some people when I have told them I rent.

They say things like "oh. Couldn't you afford to buy?".
And I said that I personally have not encountered anyone in my time here who has been treated like shit by people, including the people they rent from, because they rent. Unless I'm missing something here we have never met. Therefore your experience has little to do with my statement which was in my experience.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:18 pm
Banned

And I said that I personally have not encountered anyone in my time here who has been treated like shit by people, including the people they rent from, because they rent. Unless I'm missing something here we have never met. Therefore your experience has little to do with my statement which was in my experience.
Fair enough. But the general point is that people that rent in Australia are often treated poorly. The whole system is geared towards protecting landlords and their profits.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:37 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

One has recently upgraded to a butter dish far more superior to those ghastly
margarine tubs,dont you think..

Pretentious?.....mo'i?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:00 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by >Trigger<

Pretentious?.....mo'i?
Some, obviously not all (no offence all southerners)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<

Pretentious?.....mo'i?
Bet yer still putting marg innit tho int yer? Not reeeeeeeel butter like what we have.....

Some of these posts aren't about "class" they are about percieved discrimination based upon home ownership versus renting. I know very classy people who rent... Look at Princess Michael of Kent... She rents from the Queen...

On second thoughts that wasn't THE best example I could have chosen
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by eddie007
Bet yer still putting marg innit tho int yer? Not reeeeeeeel butter like what we have.....

Some of these posts aren't about "class" they are about percieved discrimination based upon home ownership versus renting. I know very classy people who rent... Look at Princess Michael of Kent... She rents from the Queen...

On second thoughts that wasn't THE best example I could have chosen
The thread title is about snobbery rather than class though. Snobbery is much wider than just class.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The thread title is about snobbery rather than class though. Snobbery is much wider than just class.
Oklie doklie... Look at PMoK... Huge snob... Still rents from QEll....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.