Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes thru the cat flap...?

Snakes thru the cat flap...?

Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:28 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Snakes thru the cat flap...?

Was just about to install a brand sparkling new cat flap so my feline friends can go out for a while each day, when the thought suddenly occured to me: if I leave the cat flap set to 'in-only', will livestock other than cats (eg snakes) be able to get in thru it, too? :scared:

Anyone had any experiences of this happening?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes thru the cat flap...?

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Was just about to install a brand sparkling new cat flap so my feline friends can go out for a while each day, when the thought suddenly occured to me: if I leave the cat flap set to 'in-only', will livestock other than cats (eg snakes) be able to get in thru it, too? :scared:

Cheers,
Anya.
Suburban Melbourne, dont think you will have that many snakes will you? Cats are agile put the flap up higher than normal, good exercise for the cat while reducing risk of nasties.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:57 am
wombat42

Cheers,
Anya.
In suburban Melbourne , as well as snakes you also have to worry about the
crocodiles getting through the cat flap.
Even if you live in the bush it is unlikely any snake would come in through the cat flap because they are shy creatures that advoid areas where humans live,
snakes don't want to come across you anymore then you want to come across them. But rats and mice could be a problem, also insects will come through so l think you should leave it shut.

Last edited by wombat42; Oct 24th 2004 at 8:10 am.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:37 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
In suburban Melbourne , as well as snakes you also have to worry about the
crocodiles getting through the cat flap.
Even if you live in the bush it is unlikely any snake would come in through the cat flap because they are shy creatures that advoid areas where humans live,
snakes don't want to come across you anymore then you want to come across them. But rats and mice could be a problem, also insects will come through so l think you should leave it shut.
Thanks all. Yes I know it sounded like a bit of a 'girly' post, esp when one is, as you say, in the burbs, only a short train ride from the CBD, but we live very close to a wetlands reserve, where there are regular sightings of Black Tiger Snakes.

Yes, I understand that the snakes were here first, and it's *their* country, fair dos. But ideally I'd prefer for them not to come into my house (and I'll avoid putting my big feet in *their* homes, too ).

Any rats and mice will have to pass my brave & fearsome cats (ha ha) before getting in.

Good idea about installing it slightly higher - am sure the cats need the exercise.

Am now wondering about designing a mini flyscreen door for the cat flap..!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:32 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. Yes I know it sounded like a bit of a 'girly' post, esp when one is, as you say, in the burbs, only a short train ride from the CBD, but we live very close to a wetlands reserve, where there are regular sightings of Black Tiger Snakes.

Yes, I understand that the snakes were here first, and it's *their* country, fair dos. But ideally I'd prefer for them not to come into my house (and I'll avoid putting my big feet in *their* homes, too ).

Any rats and mice will have to pass my brave & fearsome cats (ha ha) before getting in.

Good idea about installing it slightly higher - am sure the cats need the exercise.

Am now wondering about designing a mini flyscreen door for the cat flap..!

Cheers,
Anya.
You have probably already thought of this and have a reason for not wanting one but we have a magnetic one so only our cats can come in.

Ours are flying out today - can't even think about it!

Hope you are doing well Anya.

Max
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxpaxx
You have probably already thought of this and have a reason for not wanting one but we have a magnetic one so only our cats can come in.

Ours are flying out today - can't even think about it!

Hope you are doing well Anya.

Max
Yeah, the magnetic cat flaps are the ideal way to keep out unwanted intruders.

Anyway, the chances of an Eastern Tiger Snake making itself at home in your favourite chair are exceptionally slim! LOL!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anya

Have you thought of what your cat might bring in :scared: if it likes to catch things Sod the cat flap just open the door

Sue2
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah Anya, ours came to the door one day with something in her mouth, on closer inspection it was a Huntsmans leg & the rest of the now 7 legged creature was clinging to her chest.
Needless to say it was 3 days before the Mrs let her in.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:42 pm
Cheeky

Hi there Bordy!

Dont start me on huntsman spiders!

(I cant blame your wife I wouldnt let the cat in either!!LOL)

Get this....last night I had a really bad dream (a nightmare in fact!!)

I dreamt I was in a room and it was FULL of spiders!!! :scared: And when I looked up at the ceiling I could see one if these huntsman making a bee line for me!! As I moved to get out of the way it POUNCED on me and landed on my back!! (scream!!) :scared: So there I was (in my dream) trying to get the damn thing off!! Anyway I woke up and sat bolt up right completely freaked out!!

Soon realised it was just a bad dream though and went back to wondering how on earth am I gonna cope with Oz!!!

Oh well!!
Cheeky!

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah Anya, ours came to the door one day with something in her mouth, on closer inspection it was a Huntsmans leg & the rest of the now 7 legged creature was clinging to her chest.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:22 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by Bordy
EEEEEWWWW!

We had a Huntsman in our laundry the other day: the cats ignored it. I looked it up on the web, on this site:

http://www.termite.com/spiders/spide...on-chart.shtml

And found out that they're 'low risk'.

Should I be scared of them, then....?

Brave MarkMyWords (hubby) caught it & put it outside, right at the end of the yard.

Anya.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:30 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Our cats can't use a magnetic cat flap, because they both have gingivitis(had it when we got them ) and have learnt to use their paws, rather than their heads, to open the cat flap! Thsi means that the magnetic collar tag is too far from the cat flap to work. Mind you, I had wondered about getting them nice little bracelets to attach the magnetic tags to!

As for catching things - they hardly ever catch anything (we usually keep them in from mid/late afternoon till 9am, which makes a huge difference) apart from the odd mouse occasionally (and we're used to dealing with those!).

Cheers,
Anya.