Reload this Page >

Snakes, Spiders and other nasties

Snakes, Spiders and other nasties

Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

aljo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snakes, Spiders and other nasties

Originally Posted by wheels
What is the real, threat of coming across these in day to day life?
My wife is having a wobble about moving over due to stories she is being told.

We would be looking to move to the sunshine coast.
Thanks in advance.
we have been here since april and the few house spiders haven't bothered me and i hate spiders, I must confess there was a huntsman in our bedroom the other day and I was cakking myself , it was massive my OH came to the rescue and got rid of it outside minus one leg poor bugger haven't seen any more.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

I've been here almost 2 years and I was petrified of coming out and having to face the spiders etc...
In the 22 months that I have been here, I've seen a few huntsman and one snake. The snake slithered past my feet as I was hanging washing on the line, and it did give me a fright, but it was more scared of me I think. It wasn't huge: prob about 2 feet long and quite skinny.
The huntsman spiders still give me a fright every time I see one, (and my heart usually skips a few beats!!) but I'm slowly learning to deal with them.
There are other things to worry about beside the wildlife.....but that would have to go on another thread.......
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

I have always been petrified of spiders etc, we've been here 10 months now and i don't have any sleepless nights at all.

I have only seen 1 redback and that was in our garage. Not seen a snake, or a huntsman as yet. Awww, i know what's gonna happen now i've said i've not seen one!

A few months back i was bitten by a bull ant on my foot, had to call a friend as i had not seen what bit me. Bloody hurt all afternoon!

Mel
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Snakes seem to love swimming in our pool...the last one was about 4 to 5 ft long.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:24 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Spiders and Snakes really are of no concern, seen a few snakes and spiders they are really not interested in you.

The thing to worry about is the blue ringed Octopus, hides in rock-pools, only a couple of ounces and really tiny, children pick these up. They have enough poisen to kill 24 adult in one sitting. Paralasys and death within a 2 to 3 minutes unless treated.

If you administer CPR for several hours the victim unless dead will usually make a full recovery. With no side effect. Any migrant coming out here do what I and my family did, CPR and first aid courses every year around 60 dollars. Best money you could spend.

Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Gordy834 will become famous soon enough

Blue Ringed Octopus??? I don't even think they're that common. Again, depends where you live, I suppose.

When we first got here............Week One, I think.........the wife (now, ex), went shopping, leaving me in our rental unit with the kids.

This thing, about two feet long, slithered under the door and, like a hero, I battered it to death with the rake. Oddly, one half was still wriggling when, out of breath, I ran to get a neighbour.

It was a legless lizard, totally harmless. Normally, so am I..........but with a rake in my hand, feeling that our lives are under threat, I cracked. lol

Oh, then there were the possums in the roof. WRONG!!!!! Family of rats.

I have to say, even the rats here are cuter than the Scottish variety. And field mice, how cute are they????

Gordon