Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

snakes/spiders etc etc in w.a/qld etc

snakes/spiders etc etc in w.a/qld etc

Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default snakes/spiders etc etc in w.a/qld etc

I know oz as many spiders,snakes,box jelly fish etc we should watch out for etc,but i was wondering when it comes to the above,does w.a. compare to qld when it comes to these things,does one have more than the other,does one state not have this problem as much as the other,or does one have extra things the other has.
Not that it bothers me,but the likes of qld you hear about box jelly fish and stuff,but dont think i have heard about them as much in w.a.
Also im sure you get to know and learn that some things are to be watched when living in oz as in snakes,what they look like and spiders etc.
Is there such a book you can buy with what lives where and what they do to you or could do to you and what you would do to help you out of that situation.
Also the likes of cockroaches,is this a oz wide thing or more a qld thing?

Sorry a little bored today,just trying to find out a few things
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:26 pm
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice
Default Re: snakes/spiders etc etc in w.a/qld etc

Originally Posted by brian.w
I know oz as many spiders,snakes,box jelly fish etc we should watch out for etc,but i was wondering when it comes to the above,does w.a. compare to qld when it comes to these things,does one have more than the other,does one state not have this problem as much as the other,or does one have extra things the other has.
Not that it bothers me,but the likes of qld you hear about box jelly fish and stuff,but dont think i have heard about them as much in w.a.
Also im sure you get to know and learn that some things are to be watched when living in oz as in snakes,what they look like and spiders etc.
Is there such a book you can buy with what lives where and what they do to you or could do to you and what you would do to help you out of that situation.

I can't speak for QLD, but there is definitely more spiders here in NSW than WA. I think they thrive in humidity, so by that token I would expect even more again in QLD.

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/

Never seen a snake in two years in Perth or just over 1 year in NSW.

The most dangerous animals are of the two legged kind though, aka "shitheads"
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I killed a white tail in my kitchen yesterday. Well, actually, my son killed it, but I watched. Other than that in the house and the nest of redbacks we killed in our colourbond fence, we haven't seen anything here.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I was snorkelling at Bussleton 3 weeks ago and saw a sea snake.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is off to Kunnunara and Broome again in a couple of weeks. Lots of creepy crawly stuff up there.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:49 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We've been here for 9 months and I've just seen my first huntsman spider (not poisonous). Luckily it was at the ice hockey rink and I was wearing full hockey gear and skates. So I was brave enough to get a real good look at it and then let it wander off. It definitely made me take a quick look in my hockey bag just in case

I have seen a few little spiders though, but nothing that scared me at all.

The box jelly fish is a north eastern QLD thing, you won't find them in Brisbane. But if you're up in Cairns you don't go swimming around the beaches in the summer. The Great Barrier Reef is pretty safe from them though.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Well the past week living in Sydney has given us a big reality check. My husband was driving and a huntsman spider crawled down his face and he crashed the car We saw 2 red bellied snakes whilst out for a walk 10 minutes away from our house. I think our Geocaching hobby is going to need as bit of a think!!! I have just come back from school and we had a white tail spider out in the courtyard. So for 3 months of living here we have had our fair share already
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brian.w

Have been in Brisbane (Redland Bay) for three months now, have seen a few redbacks outside the house, a huntsman on the entertainment area, a huntsman (approx 4") last night in my son's room which we proceeded to chase until we could remove it completely! The remains of a metre long shark on the beach, a carpet python crossing the road - quite a lot of creepy crawleys in QLD!!