Snakes/Spiders

Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:59 pm
K&B
Just Joined

K&B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snakes/Spiders

Hi,

May seem like a silly question - but we'll ask it anyway

We are really interested in moving to Australia and have done alot of research and think we'd love it out there. We have 2 young children and the only thing that bothers us is the thought of the snakes and spiders!!!!

We are hoping to live in Melbourne and would like to ask if anyone knows whether or not the 2 s's are a problem? Are there any poisonous ones? If so, how often do you come accross them? Where to avoid etc... ?

Any help on this would be really appreciated. We've only come across contradicting info on various web pages.

Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snakes/Spiders

Originally posted by K&B
Hi,

We are really interested in moving to Australia and have done alot of research and think we'd love it out there. We have 2 young children and the only thing that bothers us is the thought of the snakes and spiders!!!!

We are hoping to live in Melbourne and would like to ask if anyone knows whether or not the 2 s's are a problem? Are there any poisonous ones? If so, how often do you come accross them? Where to avoid etc... ?

Any help on this would be really appreciated. We've only come across contradicting info on various web pages.

I lived in Melbourne most of my life and I am still living

You do, however, have to be a little more aware than you do here in the UK....wood piles, under houses, long grassy areas etc...

But I certainly wouldnt let the snakes/spiders stop you from moving if thats what you really want!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:14 pm
K&B
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hels

You do, however, have to be a little more aware than you do here in the UK....wood piles, under houses, long grassy areas etc...

But I certainly wouldnt let the snakes/spiders stop you from moving if thats what you really want! [/QUOT

Thanks alot for that - I know it seems a bit trivial but we just wanted to make sure.

Our house is on the market at the moment and we are just starting with the immigration application process - looks promising - applying on skilled migrant category.

We can't wait to get over there!!!!

Thanks again - good luck with your hubbys visa!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by K&B
Originally posted by Hels

But I certainly wouldnt let the snakes/spiders stop you from moving if thats what you really want! [/QUOT

Thanks alot for that - I know it seems a bit trivial but we just wanted to make sure.

Our house is on the market at the moment and we are just starting with the immigration application process - looks promising - applying on skilled migrant category.

We can't wait to get over there!!!!

Thanks again - good luck with your hubbys visa!
I dont think anyones concerns are trivial...they are all individually valid!!

I dont know an aweful lot about the other visa classes, but whats the expected timeline for your application??

Why did you decide that Australia was for you? Have you been there at all yet? A holiday?

Thanks for the luck....I think the main luck we need is that it his police check comes back sometime this week...then it should all fall into place, we hope....
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:28 pm
K&B
Just Joined

I dont think anyones concerns are trivial...they are all individually valid!!

I dont know an aweful lot about the other visa classes, but whats the expected timeline for your application??

Why did you decide that Australia was for you? Have you been there at all yet? A holiday?

Thanks for the luck....I think the main luck we need is that it his police check comes back sometime this week...then it should all fall into place, we hope....
We are applying for permanent residency via this route and have been told it could take anywhere from 6 months to 18 months to be approved. However, there is a current managed skilled migration scheme running which enables skilled people to apply (if there skills are on the WANTED list) - conditions are that applicants have to select an area of residence in Australia that are looking to boost population/skilled professionals and that you stay in the same area/job for a period of 3 years during which time you can apply for residency - may be an option - still looking into that side.

We have never been to Australia. We are not really happy here in the UK for various reasons and want to bring our children up in a country that has more to offer in terms of lifestyle and recreational pursuits. We've considered NZ, but have decided that Oz would be perfect for us for many reasons including, job opportunities, weather etc...

Bet you can't wait to get back!!!! (via Florida - WOW)
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by K&B
We are applying for permanent residency via this route and have been told it could take anywhere from 6 months to 18 months to be approved. However, there is a current managed skilled migration scheme running which enables skilled people to apply (if there skills are on the WANTED list) - conditions are that applicants have to select an area of residence in Australia that are looking to boost population/skilled professionals and that you stay in the same area/job for a period of 3 years during which time you can apply for residency - may be an option - still looking into that side.

We have never been to Australia. We are not really happy here in the UK for various reasons and want to bring our children up in a country that has more to offer in terms of lifestyle and recreational pursuits. We've considered NZ, but have decided that Oz would be perfect for us for many reasons including, job opportunities, weather etc...

Bet you can't wait to get back!!!! (via Florida - WOW)
I am sure that alot of people on here would have opinions on you going over without having been to visit and also the reasons you have stated...But hey, thats their opinion, huh?

I did that coming here to the UK....Had been here for only a few days on one trip before coming back here to live....although I always knew that I would go home...one day...

Yeah...Florida.....We have friends in Ft Lauderdale...and upon checking....to go home via the US is only going to cost about £150 more on the airfare than going home directly...so we thought why the heck not!!

So why are you putting your house on the market so soon if you might not get the visa for 18months???
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:34 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by K&B
Hi,

Your concerns are trivial and you are worrying about nothing, especailly if you are moving to Melbourne. No one has been killed by a spider bite since in 1980 in OZ, the only place you are going
to see a snake in Melbourne is in the zoo. Its a bit like saying you are affraid of being attacked by a grizzly bear in New York.
3 people a year are killed by snakes a year in Australia compared
to 4 people being killed by bee stings in the UK. So you are more likely to be killed by a bee in the UK then a snake in OZ.
The only creature that is likely to cause you death or injury is
the one that travels at great speeds, with a steel coat and four wheels.

Last edited by wombat42; Jul 11th 2004 at 10:37 pm.

Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:57 pm
K&B
Just Joined

I am sure that alot of people on here would have opinions on you going over without having been to visit and also the reasons you have stated...But hey, thats their opinion, huh?

I did that coming here to the UK....Had been here for only a few days on one trip before coming back here to live....although I always knew that I would go home...one day...

Yeah...Florida.....We have friends in Ft Lauderdale...and upon checking....to go home via the US is only going to cost about £150 more on the airfare than going home directly...so we thought why the heck not!!

So why are you putting your house on the market so soon if you might not get the visa for 18months???
Lucky you - wish we had friends in Florida!

We've decided to put our house up cos house prices here in our area have boomed and we are set to make £120,000 profit and on that return we don't mind renting until we get the go ahead. I agree that most people would have opinions on this, but we are in a situation where the kids are young enough to relocate happily and career wise is an ideal time to move. We have looked into this in great depth and there isn't anywhere else we would want to live. We need a new challenge with a better work/life balance.

How long have you been in the UK - how do you compare the two countries?
Old Jul 11th 2004, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by K&B
Lucky you - wish we had friends in Florida!

We've decided to put our house up cos house prices here in our area have boomed and we are set to make £120,000 profit and on that return we don't mind renting until we get the go ahead. I agree that most people would have opinions on this, but we are in a situation where the kids are young enough to relocate happily and career wise is an ideal time to move. We have looked into this in great depth and there isn't anywhere else we would want to live. We need a new challenge with a better work/life balance.

How long have you been in the UK - how do you compare the two countries?

Ahhh...We would be making about £185,000 if we didnt have to split it with my hubby's sister....but, oh well...thats a whole OTHER story....

It certainly sounds like you have given it alot of thought...and good for you....If Melbourne is where you intend heading, I can only say good things about it....I love Melbourne...In fact, I love the whole of Victoria...

I have lived here now for 3.5 years....and comparing the 2....thats a toughy!!...To me, there really is no comparison...because this isnt home to me....I never came here with the intention of it ever being my home...so I guess I look at it differently...

I do love the ease of travel to different countries from here the main drawing point for me....

But, living in London...I have found people here aggressive...rude....selfish....I find the city dirty, over populated and overly expensive...but then I knew all of this before I came here...so it was no surprise...

Now this is all my opinion and experience...and I hope I dont anger anyone with my thoughts...sorry if I do....

Where in the UK are you, K&B?