Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:18 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yep, its a cicada, and I've seen them bigger and uglier than that one.
Cicadas are harmless though unless you have sensitive ears!

A friend and I got out of the car at Davies Creek National Park the other day and the cicadas were so loud that it was almost at the pain threshold! We got back in and drove off...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I read last year that they're noisier than a pneumatic drill and in fact, according to the Australian Museum:

"Some large species such as the Greengrocer/Yellow Monday and the Double Drummer produce a noise intensity in excess of 120 dB at close range (this is approaching the pain threshold of the human ear)"

The first time I ever heard them in chorus, in Queensland 9 years ago, it was so eerie, like a Doctor Who episode

Last edited by Rainydaze; Jan 9th 2011 at 8:22 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

ab735 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill Frame
Hi About to come out to North Perth such as ocean reef;Connolly areas, have read about the above on various web sites but can any-one tell me what the problems are really like, are you really covered in mossy bites and full of flies with snakes slithering around all day, lol, or is it more of a case of getting used to the pests,
thanks
Bill
Found this little fella in Queensland; thought someone was playing a trick on us tourist until the thing moved
Attached Thumbnails Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!-p8270720.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not a touchy subject however if you plan to live here you should probably know the difference. It would be like me saying I am moving to London when in fact I'm moving to Staines. They're 2 different cities, although in fairly close proximity to each other.
er no....Staines is not a city, it is a recognised suburb of Greater London. But its not that important, knowing the exact geographical facts of your locality is learnt through experience so it DID seem as if it was a touchy subject.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:24 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ab735
Found this little fella in Queensland; thought someone was playing a trick on us tourist until the thing moved
That's a Hercules Moth, Coscinocera sp.