Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:53 pm
seen George Michael !!

Bill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really nice
Default Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

Hi About to come out to North Perth such as ocean reef;Connolly areas, have read about the above on various web sites but can any-one tell me what the problems are really like, are you really covered in mossy bites and full of flies with snakes slithering around all day, lol, or is it more of a case of getting used to the pests,
thanks
Bill
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes,Mosquitoes and Flies !!!!!!!

I'm SOR in Perth, so can't speak to the local area.

Flies are usually only really terrible from mid-Nov until about the end of January...they start to die off after that...

Mozzies...I've never noticed them to be too bad...evenings sure...wear repellant if it's a problem.

Snakes...I've only seen one in ~18 months...it was dead and lying at the entrance to the bush reserve (hit by a car most likely).

You didn't mention spiders...ha...there's quite a few. Some people get the house sprayed if that's an issue.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Frame
Hi About to come out to North Perth such as ocean reef;Connolly areas, have read about the above on various web sites but can any-one tell me what the problems are really like, are you really covered in mossy bites and full of flies with snakes slithering around all day, lol, or is it more of a case of getting used to the pests,
thanks
Bill
First, Ocean Reef and Connolly are not North Perth. They are suburbs all their own in the City of Joondalup which is about 25 km from Perth.

As for snakes and mosquitoes and flies, yes we have those here. Mosquitoes like stagnant water, so if you have a pond or live near a lake or swamp they will be more prevelant than if you don't. Flies are a problem for a couple of weeks in the spring then they seem to get fewer as summer goes on. Snakes? In 4.5 years in Australia the only snake I've seen is one that was obviously run over by a car beside a nature preserve near Scarborough.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:33 pm
seen George Michael !!

Bill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
First, Ocean Reef and Connolly are not North Perth. They are suburbs all their own in the City of Joondalup which is about 25 km from Perth.

As for snakes and mosquitoes and flies, yes we have those here. Mosquitoes like stagnant water, so if you have a pond or live near a lake or swamp they will be more prevelant than if you don't. Flies are a problem for a couple of weeks in the spring then they seem to get fewer as summer goes on. Snakes? In 4.5 years in Australia the only snake I've seen is one that was obviously run over by a car beside a nature preserve near Scarborough.
Hi Thanks for the reply, as far as i was aware they are north of Perth along the coast areas,didnt realilse it was a touchy subject
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thanks for the reply, as far as i was aware they are north of Perth along the coast areas,didnt realilse it was a touchy subject
There is a suburb called North Perth (there is also South Perth), so it gets a bit confusing if you use North Perth when you mean northern suburbs.

Most people would not see a snake over the year, but they are here. We last saw one last February in Perth, on the beach (we also saw an adder on the beach in Dorset in June). You have to be aware of where and when they are likely to be active and steer clear.

I hate flies, but they are only likely to be a nuisance outdoors as houses have fly screens. You soon learn to get in and out of the house quickly and close the flyscreen doors to stop them coming in. We find them a problem all summer, but they are really pesky when they first hatch in about November.

Mossies both me all year and I get bitten during the day in areas where there is water, eg by river or park near a lake, but if there was only one mossie in WA it would find me. There are mossie repellants you can use.

As others have said, spiders are also an issue, and you quickly learn to recognise redbacks, which you are more likely to encounter outside, so you carefully check outdoor toys, seats, under logs, bricks, etc. and destroy.

You can have your house treated, inside or out, but with small children about, some wouldn't want the chemicals used.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Hi Bill, I've been twice to Perth south of the river. Once in oz winter and recently in the summer.

In winter I never noticed anything although it's the equivlent to a good Scottish summer.

The oz summer is very warm (38c on Christmas day). The flies are not like Uk flies and they constantly land on you. It can get a bit annoying to say the least.

If you can get some of this as they don't like it. Lifesystems Expedition PLUS 100+ 100ml Spray.

I've never seen a snake and I've been in a few places where you would expect to see them. That also goes for Mosquitoes.

There are a few spiders about although they tend to be outside.

James
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Very touchy.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not a touchy subject however if you plan to live here you should probably know the difference. It would be like me saying I am moving to London when in fact I'm moving to Staines. They're 2 different cities, although in fairly close proximity to each other.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on our patio, this morning and photo'd it for FB friends back in the UK, biggest damn fly I ever saw I put the USB stick there for scale. Also - it wasn't dead, as I found out when I moved it

Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Found this on our patio, this morning and photo'd it for FB friends back in the UK, biggest damn fly I ever saw I put the USB stick there for scale. Also - it wasn't dead, as I found out when I moved it

http://i56.tinypic.com/vy7cea.jpg
That's massive!

Great pic.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That's massive!

Great pic.
Never saw it airborne but it was twitching, now its gone

Does anyone know what species it is, I lived in QLD for about 5 years in the 90's don't remember ever seeing a fly that size!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Never saw it airborne but it was twitching, now its gone

Does anyone know what species it is, I lived in QLD for about 5 years in the 90's don't remember ever seeing a fly that size!
BE's junior entomologist says it's a cicada http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/2...apache-cicada/
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HelenTD
BE's junior entomologist says it's a cicada http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/2...apache-cicada/

Thanks, that would be it, hear them all the time (like now) but never saw one before.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The noise can be quite irritating if one gets inside the house. Alternatively, you can think of it as part of the sounds of summer in Perth.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:27 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Yep, its a cicada, and I've seen them bigger and uglier than that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.