? snakes eggs

Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default ? snakes eggs

Does anyone know how big snake eggs are. My little boy found a nest of eggs in our yard, that must have been uncovered when my father in law cut the grass by our fence. They are about 1cm long and white. I am guessing that is too small to be snakes, and may be some sort of lizard. I don't want to put back snake eggs by mistake LOL. If they are just little lizards I will put them back.

Thanks Katie
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ? snakes eggs

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Does anyone know how big snake eggs are. My little boy found a nest of eggs in our yard, that must have been uncovered when my father in law cut the grass by our fence. They are about 1cm long and white. I am guessing that is too small to be snakes, and may be some sort of lizard. I don't want to put back snake eggs by mistake LOL. If they are just little lizards I will put them back.

Thanks Katie
that rules out the dreaded trouser snake then

ww
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

LOL
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:20 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

LOL
so...
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

so I figured they were just lizard eggs, but released them in the wild, well on some grass down the road. I am sure they will be happy there if they hatch out ok.

Katie
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

so I figured they were just lizard eggs, but released them in the wild, well on some grass down the road. I am sure they will be happy there if they hatch out ok.

Katie
Do they do it themselves or do they need mummy on top Does mummy know where her babies have disappeared to
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure if lizards sit on their eggs like hens do. I think they leave them in a warm place to hatch. I might be wrong though. My father in law accidently disturbed the nest a few days ago, and there was no sign of the mother. Maybe she got scared and ran off.

Katie
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Could be either lizard or snake, but by the size I am assuming lizard. Our corn snakes lay eggs (about 20) and they are about an inch and a half long.

Sadly, as the skins of the eggs are supple, unlike hen's eggs, they lay them in moist, covered places so its likely that the ones that you put on the grass will dry up.

This is a picture of snakes eggs.
Attached Thumbnails ? snakes eggs-snake-eggs.bmp  

Last edited by RenShen; Apr 25th 2008 at 10:25 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that. The eggs look the same as the ones in your piccie. They must have already dried up by the time I found them, as they were hard. No one mentioned to me about finding the eggs at the time. My little boy showed me them a few days later. By that time it must have been too late anyway to save them.

Thanks for your reply.

Katie