Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes in Brissie

Snakes in Brissie

Old May 17th 2017, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes in Brissie

Originally Posted by carcajou
I live in a rural area and I have only seen one snake. They are out there but they don't want any piece of you. Though, Queensland does have that snake (species is escaping my memory this morning) that lunges down at people from trees as they walk under.

If you get bitten by a venomous snake the important thing is DON'T MOVE. Moving causes the venom to circulate through the body faster. Most people ignore that, panic, run etc and that makes things x times worse. One of the Aboriginal traditional customs was if bitten by a venomous snake, lay down in place (immediately) for 3 days both as it stopped the venom circulating but also gave your body enough time to break it down.
The most important thing is to apply first aid (pressure bandage the bite area) and get straight to hospital. Don't clean the bite area so that the snake can be identified and the correct antivenom administered. Don't lay down under a tree for three days unless you want to be buried there.
Old May 17th 2017, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously notify an ambulance but the First Aid protocol IS immobilization in addition to bandages etc. Moving around causes the venom to spread throughout the body faster. Unless you want to tell the Ambos that their protocols are wrong?
Old May 17th 2017, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Obviously notify an ambulance but the First Aid protocol IS immobilization in addition to bandages etc. Moving around causes the venom to spread throughout the body faster. Unless you want to tell the Ambos that their protocols are wrong?
Of course immobilisation isn't wrong, it just won't work if that's the only thing you do.
Old May 21st 2017, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

We have been in Brisbane area for 11 years now. For the first 10 years hardly saw any snake but recently moved to a suburb called Pullenvale which is a semi rural area only 15mins from the CBD. In the 10 months we have ben here we have had a decent size carpet pythons in the house and one is also living in my roof space, which keeps the rats and possums out. I actually quite like them but it scared the crap out of the mother inlaw, which is always a bonus.
Old May 21st 2017, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Attached Thumbnails Snakes in Brissie-20160903_134403.jpg  
Old May 21st 2017, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
We have been in Brisbane area for 11 years now. For the first 10 years hardly saw any snake but recently moved to a suburb called Pullenvale which is a semi rural area only 15mins from the CBD. In the 10 months we have ben here we have had a decent size carpet pythons in the house and one is also living in my roof space, which keeps the rats and possums out. I actually quite like them but it scared the crap out of the mother inlaw, which is always a bonus.
Wow that looks big!!!
I'd be interested to know -do you live in a kind of 'Ramsey Street' stlye housing estate with other houses attached or are you more on your own in bush land or backing on to a reserve or something???